Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mythical/legendary creatures.
Okay, I'm going to piggyback off the other thread so we can actually discuss these things. 

Do you think creatires like megalodons, loch Ness monster and the like exist?  
Have you seen any creatures that couldn't be explained?  
Should they exist?
How many other prehistoric creatures still exist?
So many questions and theories, I think it makes N interesting topic.
What about Bigfoot?
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]
Since so little of the ocean has been explored there is a good chance that there are many sea creatures that we don't know about. Whether someone chooses to classify them as monsters is another matter.

[Image: JCP4rN2.jpg?1]
By Wm. Leo Smith - http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah199704.pdf,

The Oar Fish is a good one to use for a sea serpent, in fact long ago when one would be found, it was often described as a sea serpent.   Some suspect that if a Loch Ness Monster is ever found, that it will turn out to be one.
I just watched a show last night that talked about underwater waves and how that could potentially be what the creatures actually are.
I'm sure we've all seen the Google Earth images that show monsters. Are they legit?
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]
I don't believe that any of those things exist. If they did, we would have already seen them... and not the random once or twice sightings of Bigfoot etc... or the big eel that was mistaken for the lochness.

I dunno.... I have a hard time believing in things I can't see... or haven't seen.

As far as prehistoric creatures... I would say that Birds and alligators are the closest things related to anything prehistoric? I mean, sure... everything came from something I guess....
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss
I think it's plausible, but also unlikely. HOWEVER, definitely plausible. There's still a lot we don't know about the sea, and about Antarctica. We actually know more about space, than we do about what's going on under the water. Marine Biology is an extremely interesting subject, especially because all life on Earth essentially comes in large part from the existence of water on the planet. With as extremely old as Earth actually is suspected to be, it would not surprise me if we still are finding fossils and bones from prehistoric animals and perhaps some even encased in ice. I know that they found a half-encased mammoth at some point and extracted blood out of it for lab research.

I think legendary and mythical creatures have more of a symbolic truth to them than a literal, actual existence. Or that if they did exist, than perhaps they were the genetic mutation of the dinosaurs that might've survived the blast, who's genetics would require only certain climates and conditions to have a properly prosperous habitat for itself.

Lore about Dragons is a great example of this, as while they always change one of the consistencies is that they seem to live very long lives and are extremely physically resilient. Though perhaps our comprehension of it might be incorrect, and that the actual potential existence would be less...mythically draconic and more like a genetically mutated Pterodactyl derivative.

As for Nessy and Big Foot:

There used to be a Romantic Era abode off the shore of Loch Ness that I was quite interested in seeing one day. Regrettably it caught fire some years back and has been lost as many other historical sites have such been lost due to funding required for proper rebuilding...and even then, and wouldn't be quite the same...

I definitely think that there's something peculiar about Loch Ness, though I don't think it'd be a sea monster. Perhaps at one time in the days of old Scottish folklore and oral traditions, maybe a remnant, somehow, some way, but by this time I can't think how it'd survive. Nessy would fall along the lines of the Selkie, also of Scottish folklore.

And again, perhaps things like Nessy, the Selkie, and such could have also been remnants of genetic mutations caused by the toxicity of the asteroid that wiped the dinosaurs out. That's also a vaguely plausible theory.

Of Big Foot, I think people are just seeing things.
Or perhaps some older remnants, also genetically modified, who've made it thus so far, the small so few that they are.
But even then, with sightings being so spread out, I would suggest that it's quite likely that even if they did exist, that they would be dead by now.

There could be a number of reasons why we haven't found the fossils and remains and bones of such types of creatures: I mean, we're only just no realizing that humans have been alive longer than written historical accounts of that of even the ancient Egyptians.

Sssooo, for all we know, maybe we could find the skeletal remains of something like a gryphon in the thawing of Antarctica, I mean, we did find a frozen mammoth, and we didn't think we'd find that. And for that matter there are still things that are unexplained such as the Osiris Chamber beneath Giza, containing tombs thought to have traveled from China along the Silk Road (which would suggest that the Silk Road is actually older than what we believe it to be), as well as the still mysteriously locked 6th door at the Padmanabhaswamy Temple in India.

So while I would like to rule it out as fantasy, I can't.
Because there is still so much that we do not know and do not understand.
"Of Fire in Nature, Love in Spirit unkenned,
Life, hath no axle, no spring, and no End"
I think some are legit but were over exagerrated. I remember reading about how plausible it was that some tales of knights fighting against dragons were probably pulled from fights with very big Komodo dragons,for example. And we all know about now extinct species such as the Sabretooth Tiger.
I remember visiting Loch Ness when I was little and I was convinced that every duck I saw was a baby nessie. And my big sister told me that the monster had recently eaten someone because there was a flip-flop floating about 20 meters out. I was about 5 years old, I believed every word of it. Now I'm 43 and I have begun to doubt that anything she said was ever true. She also told me that santa didn't exist when I was 7 years old, and that he died from alcohol poisoning from all the booze people left him on christmas eve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Think of me long enough to make a memory
Sounds like quite the sister.

At least 13 of the lochs are claimed to have a creature but Loch Ness is best known.
Thankfully she grew out of being an arse. She's nice to me now that I'm bigger than her, lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Think of me long enough to make a memory

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mythical Critters Interbreeding bulmabriefs144 5 1,164 12-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Last Post: JasonM