hey, just a terrified newbie here :,)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pim

Reaction score
Though I made this account for the sole reason of being able to talk openly about my issues with others, I can't quite find the courage to do so. I am new to these forums, but I am also completely new to the idea of opening up to people. I am terrified to even post this, but I don't want to succumb to my anxiety any longer. So, I guess I'll take it slow and start by saying hey!

I can see where you're coming from as i suffer from anxiety too (Generalized Anxiety to be specific). To be honest i am sorta glad and sad that i can relate as i am sure you know, Anxiety just....sucks  :D 

Anyway, you've definitely taken the right step by posting. It can be a challenge but baby steps is the healthiest approach. Personally, i am an advocate of the "Get thrown in the deep end" approach. Even though that can be pretty terrifying.

There are a lot of friendly people here, hope you find your fit. 

So how long have you been living with anxiety?

Hey there friend! No need to be scared, we’re all pretty cool people. Welcome and hope you have a great time!
Ooh and what anime is your profile pic from?

toasty_one said:
Hey there friend! No need to be scared, we’re all pretty cool people. Welcome and hope you have a great time!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, it really helps! My profile pic comes from Kizumonogatari :)

pim said:
toasty_one said:

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, it really helps! My profile pic comes from Kizumonogatari :)

I’ll have to check it out! I’m in between series right now so it’s be good to find a new one!
Feel free to message if you have any questions or feel like talking!

Phantimos said:
I can see where you're coming from as i suffer from anxiety too (Generalized Anxiety to be specific). To be honest i am sorta glad and sad that i can relate as i am sure you know, Anxiety just....sucks  :D 

Anyway, you've definitely taken the right step by posting. It can be a challenge but baby steps is the healthiest approach. Personally, i am an advocate of the "Get thrown in the deep end" approach. Even though that can be pretty terrifying.

First off, thanks a bunch for your kind reply! I have generalized anxiety as well so I wholeheartedly agree with you - it sucks. As for your question, I'm not exactly sure. Initially, I would say my whole life, since I have always struggled immensely with social interactions. I can't recall ever living without anxiety, but it wasn't until high school that I was officially diagnosed so I'd feel somewhat disingenuous if I stuck with my first answer. As of late, my social skills have been regressing significantly, which is what motivated me to try posting here. I know I won't immediately improve, but I hope to find some comfort in talking to others who have struggled with similar issues.

pim said:
Phantimos said:

First off, thanks a bunch for your kind reply! I have generalized anxiety as well so I wholeheartedly agree with you - it sucks. As for your question, I'm not exactly sure. Initially, I would say my whole life, since I have always struggled immensely with social interactions. I can't recall ever living without anxiety, but it wasn't until high school that I was officially diagnosed so I'd feel somewhat disingenuous if I stuck with my first answer. As of late, my social skills have been regressing significantly, which is what motivated me to try posting here. I know I won't immediately improve, but I hope to find some comfort in talking to others who have struggled with similar issues.

Well i was diagnosed not 6 months ago. Although i did spend a large part of my life with the disorder, i only started seeking help recently. I am on meds now (a med actually, singular). I am glad to say that knowing about it and seeking professional aid did help slightly. 

Why do you think you are regressing lately? Is it just taking a toll on you and making it more difficult to leave the house and socialize? (I am guessing based on personal experience) 

PS: You don't have to talk about this if it makes you uncomfortable.

Phantimos said:
pim said:
Phantimos said:

Well i was diagnosed not 6 months ago. Although i did spend a large part of my life with the disorder, i only started seeking help recently. I am on meds now (a med actually, singular). I am glad to say that knowing about it and seeking professional aid did help slightly. 

Why do you think you are regressing lately? Is it just taking a toll on you and making it more difficult to leave the house and socialize? (I am guessing based on personal experience) 

PS: You don't have to talk about this if it makes you uncomfortable.

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]To put it simply, I[/font] have been regressing ever since I dropped out of public school and started taking online classes instead. Though my anxiety was generally worse on a daily basis when I attended public school, it forced me to go outside every day and face my problems head-on. So now that I rarely ever leave the house and avoid most social situations, I've found myself in a state of regression. I know it should've been obvious to me that this would happen, but to be fair, I had zero friends at my public school (despite attending the same school my whole life, haha) and couldn’t bear to go through another year. I'd be lying if I said that my current reclusive lifestyle isn't comfortable, since it caters perfectly to my antisocial personality, but I am painfully aware that by avoiding my issues, they will only fester.  

Avoidance and postponing, classic anxiety traits. One important thing is to remember not to blame yourself. Take responsibility for your actions but do not let yourself go into this cycle of self blame, it is never constructive.(I might as well be talking to myself at this point 😂
You have already taken a step in the right direction. Just try to build on that, slowly but surely.

How old are you anyway? I am assuming you are quite young.

Phantimos said:
Avoidance and postponing, classic anxiety traits. One important thing is to remember not to blame yourself. Take responsibility for your actions but do not let yourself go into this cycle of self blame, it is never constructive.(I might as well be talking to myself at this point 😂
You have already taken a step in the right direction. Just try to build on that, slowly but surely.

How old are you anyway? I am assuming you are quite young.

Exactly, I know that avoidance is the one of the worst methods of coping with my issues and yet I still continue to do it. That's what anxiety does to you, I guess. I'm sorry to hear that you go through the same bs, but I am also relieved that I'm not the only one who has to deal with it. Yes, I am young haha. I'm 17, turning 18 later this year. College is around the corner, which is why I so desperately want to improve. I just don't know how :(

There is this exercise my therapist is having me do where I designate a time slot during the day were I allow myself to worry full on, negative thoughts and everything. Outside of that, I am to try and postpone my worrying much the same way I postpone work and other things.

Other than I think joining social clubs or groups that share similar interests might help, although that's too much for me, activates my anxiety like that *snap*.

What are your hobbies? Says you like games on your profile. Any favorites?

I used to struggle with anxiety a lot. It’s not that I wasn’t social, it’s that I was raised by the foster care system and didn’t know how to be social. One thing that really helped me was joining scouting, I became a camp counselor and suddenly became someone that people looked up to. So it’s all about taking it little by little and doing what you’re comfortable with until you’re ready, then you just need to find that group that fits you, which is a lot easier than it sounds.

Phantimos said:
There is this exercise my therapist is having me do where I designate a time slot during the day were I allow myself to worry full on, negative thoughts and everything. Outside of that, I am to try and postpone my worrying much the same way I postpone work and other things.

Other than I think joining social clubs or groups that share similar interests might help, although that's too much for me, activates my anxiety like that *snap*.

Oh boy do I know how refreshing it is to have a good cry at the end of a stressful day! I will admit though, I might indulge in my negative thoughts a bit too much, so I will try postponing it like you suggest.
I play a variety of games, since it's a great way to distract myself from reality and actually have fun for a bit. Recently, I've been playing a lot of CIV V. My favorite will always be World of Warcraft, though. Other than that, I enjoy writing.
Thank you for talking to me, it really helps. And of course, thank you for the advice!

toasty_one said:
I used to struggle with anxiety a lot. It’s not that I wasn’t social, it’s that I was raised by the foster care system and didn’t know how to be social. One thing that really helped me was joining scouting, I became a camp counselor and suddenly became someone that people looked up to. So it’s all about taking it little by little and doing what you’re comfortable with until you’re ready, then you just need to find that group that fits you, which is a lot easier than it sounds.

That sounds really tough and I'm sorry you've had to struggle, but I'm glad to hear that it got easier for you! It's really inspiring to know that it's possible to get better, since I feel so lost at the moment. I don't want to bombard you with questions, but how did you find the courage to put yourself out there? I understand that it probably gets a lot easier with experience, but that first step is so terrifying :(

pim said:
toasty_one said:

That sounds really tough and I'm sorry you've had to struggle, but I'm glad to hear that it got easier for you! It's really inspiring to know that it's possible to get better, since I feel so lost at the moment. I don't want to bombard you with questions, but how did you find the courage to put yourself out there? I understand that it probably gets a lot easier with experience, but that first step is so terrifying :(

It always terrified me, and honestly sometimes it still does. But you know what? It’s not your flaws that define you, it’s how you deal with them that does. And you wanting to do so and get better from your anxiety may not seem like much to some people, but it makes you so much more courageous than most. For me it was a point of realization that I had already seen the worst life could throw at me, suddenly things seemed much smaller to me. But often I do fall into old habits. So it just involves working through it.

pim said:
Phantimos said:

Oh boy do I know how refreshing it is to have a good cry at the end of a stressful day! I will admit though, I might indulge in my negative thoughts a bit too much, so I will try postponing it like you suggest. 
I play a variety of games, since it's a great way to distract myself from reality and actually have fun for a bit. Recently, I've been playing a lot of CIV V. My favorite will always be World of Warcraft, though. Other than that, I enjoy writing.
Thank you for talking to me, it really helps. And of course, thank you for the advice!

Latest posts

Back