Freelancing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvernight

Reaction score
Does anyone else here work as a freelancer? This can be so frustrating. Sorry, have to rant now, I feel really miserable. There are periods when I'm getting swamped with work and have to reject some offers if I have already committed to something. Then the employer gets obviously pissed and does not offer anything for weeks sometimes or else sets an unrealistic deadline. I feel like I'm in a no-win situation. Accept and fail to meet the deadline (unacceptable, obviously) or refuse and... there you go again. I feel completely screwed up when this happens. Like now. :(

I don't work so I can only sympathize. Maybe its time to find a different job?

Bluey said:
I don't work so I can only sympathize. Maybe its time to find a different job?

In my city, it's pretty much the only option available for people of my profession (translating). Funny picture in your sig, Bluey, made me smile. :) Yeah, I feel a lot like that poor rabbit being teased with a carrot, really.

I'm actually looking to get into some freelancing right around now. I'm an audio/video editor, by the way.

How do you find gigs, if you don't mind me asking? Internet?

Antihero said:
I'm actually looking to get into some freelancing right around now. I'm an audio/video editor, by the way.

How do you find gigs, if you don't mind me asking? Internet?

I have contact with two (make it three now, from this day on) bureaus offering translation and interpreting services. They normally send me gigs.

Have you thought of maybe widening your professional contact circle so you can give colleagues work when you cannot take it and likewise have them give you work that they are offered but too busy for? Perhaps this is too idealistic but maybe something to consider?

Scott said:
Have you thought of maybe widening your professional contact circle so you can give colleagues work when you cannot take it and likewise have them give you work that they are offered but too busy for? Perhaps this is too idealistic but maybe something to consider?

Well, this is a sound idea. I do know other translators, I just somehow never gave it a thought. It might be somewhat like cheating though (since I'm the one entrusted with a particular task and wasn't told I can give it to someone else). But yeah, guess it's possible.

Latest posts

Back