Are you popular on Facebook ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonely_aryan

Reaction score
I have quite a few members in my friends list but only 4-5 true friends.

When I post something on timeline almost nobody responds.

What about you guys ? Are you popular on Facebook ?

I still have a facebook account, but go there only once or twice a year. Used to have around 350 or so "friends". Mistly people I used to work or go to school with. People I don't really have to see the rest of my life.
Facebook isn't life. It's a fictional bubble that people use to portray the life they want to portray. A friend of mine posts 20 messages or links to memes a day, yet at a party he's the lone guy in a corner who don't speak much save to one or two people and comes off a bit weird.
Wouldn't put much stock in it. Then again, I'm old school, come from the generation where 3-4 real friends was all you had in life. And all you really needed. You phone them, go over to their place, invite them to yours, go out with them have a drink or visit the zoo or something.
That's real.
Facebook kinda ain't.

Richard_39 said:
I still have a facebook account, but go there only once or twice a year. Used to have around 350 or so "friends". Mistly people I used to work or go to school with. People I don't really have to see the rest of my life.
Facebook isn't life. It's a fictional bubble that people use to portray the life they want to portray. A friend of mine posts 20 messages or links to memes a day, yet at a party he's the lone guy in a corner who don't speak much save to one or two people and comes off a bit weird.
Wouldn't put much stock in it. Then again, I'm old school, come from the generation where 3-4 real friends was all you had in life. And all you really needed. You phone them, go over to their place, invite them to yours, go out with them have a drink or visit the zoo or something.
That's real.
Facebook kinda ain't.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you are right. BTW most of the people who are in my friends list are actually my old friends whom I used to meet on a daily basis. Trust me when I say this all of my old friends have gone out of the country for job related reasons.
So now I am completely alone.

Well....find some new ones ;-)
I know, I know, easier said than done. Not everyone is a social butterfly, or good at it. But if friendship is something you need, you got to get out there and find the way to make it happen for you. Like I said, I'm old school, so for me it's just random conversations with people I see on a regular basis. For example, when I go to work and grab my coffee at the corner store, always see the same employees. Struck a friendship with one of them and we go out to shoot some pool sometimes, in the four months I been seeing her. That's the way I make new friends. Try to find the way that works for you. Maybe social media does work better for you, ain't no one really knows that except you, right? But if it don't, try something else. Try to put yourself a little more "out there" in a way you feel comfortable with.
I just personally don't put much stock in the e-life stuff. Although, you know, and I apologise for not being here more often and neglecting them, but I met couple of great friends here! We even talk on the phone on occasion, as far as the land of Oz ;-) So it happens, just not as often.
In any case, best of luck to ya and I hope you fill what you're looking for :)

I was. I had quite a few facebook friends. I finally got off of facebook out of privacy concerns. I'm not a fan of their business practices and I want as little to do with them as poassible.

Also I realized that a lot of my FB friends were people I routinely used to socialize with in person 15-ish years ago, but my relationship with them had dwindled to the point where I never saw them in person even though most of them lived less than ten miles away.

I miss facebook when it comes to telling me about events and concerts and things I might want to go to, and it was also good for keeping up with friends who live too far away to get together in person. But on the whole, giving up my privacy wasn't worth it.

I do notice that most of my FB friends haven't tried to track me down through other avenues. I guess I'm OK with that.

I can be if i want to. but im too lazy to entertain othets now. you have to sell your of course. you must learn to worship your online fake self. Also show fake compassion for others and give lots of likes to show others how unselfishly superficial you a are.

Nope.

I always tried to keep my content stimulating, too - aesthetic images, quotes, intellectual fodder. Other people who did similar would have tens if not hundreds of likes and comments, while I got maybe 10+ and then eventually down to the same 3 or 4 people.

Chasing a dopamine rush from the “validation” of strangers. Desperate for acknowledgement, interaction, and never finding it. Eventually deleted my entire friend’s list, and then the profile itself. Utter waste of time.

I used to have around 300 "friends" on Facebook, 100 on Snapchat and Instagram until I did a social media purge about 6 months ago. I'm a 17 year old female in a public school so I've always been expected to be very hip with the handles. I hated the false connection. It's disgusting how people just threw out some plastic version of themselves. False smiles and empty acts posted just for validation of your middle school classmate. Now I have under 10 friends with most of them being my Co-workers. I still feel like honeysuckle but at least I don't have to see the 27th daily photo of how you're #blessed.

I think Facebook and every other social media site is exactly what you make it into. If you go into it thinking it's a popularity contest, that's exactly what it will be and you won't get much good out of it.

If you know it's going to upset you, just don't have one. Personally, I don't care if I'm "popular" or not, that's not why I'm there. I mostly use it for family and also a few groups I'm in on there and to keep in touch with friends that don't live near me.

TheRealCallie said:
I think Facebook and every other social media site is exactly what you make it into.  If you go into it thinking it's a popularity contest, that's exactly what it will be and you won't get much good out of it.  

If you know it's going to upset you, just don't have one.  Personally, I don't care if I'm "popular" or not, that's not why I'm there.  I mostly use it for family and also a few groups I'm in on there and to keep in touch with friends that don't live near me.

That makes sense.

Personally I’m pissed with the holiday crowd.

Latest posts

Back