I have trouble insulting friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humourless

Reaction score
Seems every time I insult someone, they don't want to be my friend any more.
I think they are over sensitive.
I called one friend a "boobywooby" the other day. he was highly insulted and hasn't spoken to me since.
Another one I called a "jaberwooky nooky" and he almost slapped me. I grabbed his hand in time. ( Im learning Martial Hearts at the moment)
I once called my girlfriend a "cobblywobbly" and she went off in a huff. (and a puff too)
any advice out there?

and a friend of mine has trouble insulting people for a different reason. Whatever insult he comes up with, his friends wont be insulted. I need to help him.

I'm almost impossible to insult. 😎 
Or... I think it comes down to closeness to the person doing the insulting. It has to be something really bad too. 
Advice? Nah. 
People shouldn't be so oversensitive. 
That's all I got

And when your friends insult you, how mad do you get?

My friend has hurt my feelings so many times!  I don't know why I'm still friends with her.  To be fair, I have insulted her a few times as well.  We forgive each other a lot.  Some people are quick to forgive, others like to hold a grudge.  And some people just need more time to recover from the pain of being insulted by someone they expected to be supportive and caring.

You mentioned that you have very high self-esteem on your other post. Your friends might have low self-esteem, so when you insult them it really hurts their feelings.  Maybe as you become more humble, you will insult others less.

Regarding your friend, who can never get an insult across - maybe his friends have very high self esteem and are being condescending to him?  So when he insults them, their reaction is "Wow, look at this loser trying to insult me, he's so lame".  The age of his friends could be a factor as well.  Mature people are hurt less by insults than young and insecure people.

humourless said:
Seems every time I insult someone, they don't want to be my friend any more.
I think they are over sensitive.
I called one friend a "boobywooby" the other day. he was highly insulted and hasn't spoken to me since.
Another one I called a "jaberwooky nooky" and he almost slapped me. I grabbed his hand in time. ( Im learning Martial Hearts at the moment)
I once called my girlfriend a "cobblywobbly" and she went off in a huff. (and a puff too)
any advice out there?

Seriously?  Those are pretty benign.  More like terms of endearment. That really does seem over sensitive.

Guzheng said:
And when your friends insult you, how mad do you get?

My friend has hurt my feelings so many times!  I don't know why I'm still friends with her.  To be fair, I have insulted her a few times as well.  We forgive each other a lot.  Some people are quick to forgive, others like to hold a grudge.  And some people just need more time to recover from the pain of being insulted by someone they expected to be supportive and caring.

You mentioned that you have very high self-esteem on your other post. Your friends might have low self-esteem, so when you insult them it really hurts their feelings.  Maybe as you become more humble, you will insult others less.

Regarding your friend, who can never get an insult across - maybe his friends have very high self esteem and are being condescending to him?  So when he insults them, their reaction is "Wow, look at this loser trying to insult me, he's so lame".  The age of his friends could be a factor as well.  Mature people are hurt less by insults than young and insecure people.

That’s a thing I don’t get. Why be friends with someone that insults you or you insult her/him. That’s not a healthy friendship at all, not in my eyes at least. If my fiend aren’t able to see behind my words and know that what I say doesn’t have some hidden hurtful message, and if I’m not able to behave myself in an ok manner around that person, then why even talk together?
I do see loneliness and other factors playing in. It’s hard when you don’t have any other friends. Some might find value in that kind of relationship and I totally get that. I think I’d rather be alone. I have been in similar situations where I’ve taken a lot of crap from a friend. It always ends one way or another though. The intimacy in that friendship tends to determine how long I keep it going. Weeding out those not so close relationships are easy.
I’m babbling. 😂

Latest posts

Back