Night Owl Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscusThrower

Reaction score
Hey all. 

I recently turned 47, and it sort of hit me that my life just hasn't turned out as I expected (as is the case with many of us, I get it). I'm an RN that usually works evenings-into-nights, and I sleep during the day, so when I'm off from work I'm usually on a completely opposite schedule. My marriage ended in 2005, and I haven't really dated since. Most of my friends that I used to hang out with have families or busy schedules as is, so when you toss in the schedule factor, it's become basically impossible to have much of a social life. 

I love movies, and I put together a small room in my house dedicated to just that, but 99% of the time it's just me and my dog enjoying them. It sort of hit me the other night that because of a "perfect storm" of circumstances, I've become very isolated. Im not depressed or sad, and I've never been the sort of person who "needs" to be in a relationship or have others around. But I think I'm really pushing the limits of that theory as of late. 

Sometimes I feel like if something happened to me, there's literally no one that would even know. That's a really odd feeling. 

Anyway, I have to believe there are others out there who maybe work crazy hours or are often up at night by themselves while the rest of the world sleeps, so thought I'd just say hello.

Black Manta said:
Welcome. 

I've always been a night-owl myself. Don't know why.

Thanks man...it is pretty interesting how some folks are just naturally more inclined to be up at night. 

I know some people who are just 100% morning people. They go to bed early, get up early, and function best in the morning. I can't relate to that at all lol. Even if I didn't have a job where I worked nights, I'd still be a night owl. Just been like that ever since I was a kid.

I work 3rd shift and have insomnia, so most night im up until like 6am and then wake back up at 11am if not earlier. Even if I try to sleep I just lay there, and toss/turn. My mind seems to race at night. I don't have many friends, mainly because I work alot or just don't have the time to really hangout much. When I do hangout with people its usually once a month and it feels like i'm not really wanted there. I will go to my so called bestfriends and she will talk to everyone and Barely talk to me. I have to initiate conversation even when im sitting right there. So in all reality I don't have her either. Thats why I come here. To vent and to talk.

Well, funny you should say that, my current situation, and attitude for that matter, mirrors your own almost to a tee. Notable exception is I have a few close family members I talk to regularly, but can't call them on my days off at 3am just to chat lol.

Latest posts

Back