Putting on my Serious Hat

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humourless

Reaction score
Empathy works.
Even if you aren't good at it. You get points for trying. And in the process of trying you get better at it.
example 1
I notice my partner is often grumpy and short tempered this time of year. its winter and cloudy. I usually take it personally. But after thinking about it a bit more I noticed this. She works from home. She works in a gloomy small study in our house up to 10 hours a day. No wonder she is grumpy! I told her no wonder you are in a bad mood all the time. It seemed to help. I advised 'take a holiday away from here all winter next year." she liked that even more. 
example 2
my brother finally said by text "and don't contact me again until August". At first I was offended. How dare he talk to me like that. But I was dumping a lot of texts on him. And pushing my own agenda, my own opinions. he's entitled to have boundaries and in retrospect I didn't respect them. So I chose not to react to his rather strong demand at the end. Whilst I don't know if he is happier now I can sense that my decision not to react was a wise one and will help our relationship.

This insight needs to translate into a healthy habit.

Latest posts

Back