THERE IS NO MORE HOPE LEFT!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris 2

Reaction score
Bluey & member here

I have overcome a lot of things in my life, and have endure it for many years, but when will it end? Right now, probably never. If anyone follow my story I was diagnosed with social anxiety which eliminate any chance for me to make friends or keep the friends I had. I went through HELL, and couldn't wait till this year to make friends.

I still have no friends as a sophomore and all hope seem to be loss. This is the worst scenario that I couldn't possibility imagine because I no longer have social anxiety. I join several club and even went to several fraternity rush, but in the end for some reason I didn't make it into the fraternity, which destroy most of my hope. Yet I continue to stride for another way to make friends, thus I join club, say hi to my floor mates, greet them, attend all meeting, and yet time fly by and to no avail. I open my room door daily yet no one come in and say hi. These people aren't friendly, complete opposite of last year freshman. I was a FOOL to ever think it would be the same.

I am the lonely, desperate, and miserable. There is no sign that point to hope, and my only future is to survive college for all 4 years without any friend, because it seem to late now. Everyone has friends, and since the freshman move in 1 week before everyone else, they already made friends. Right now I'm sitting in the lounge pass midnight, while outside 2 girl, 5 boys are sitting in a circle talking and having fun. Oh how I wish I was there.

Guys I done everything, I introduce myself to at least 20 people, but no one want to be my friends.

Bluey and everyone else please if u have any suggestion or advice, let me know NOW!!!!! I done everything and I am not sure what else is there to do. If things goes bad I will either transfer school or drop out, as now I could care less about my future.

This is serious, please respond immediately

Chris (What now???)

Hi there Chris, I know its difficult to make friends when you don't have any friends. Normally ppl well get to know other ppl fro the ppl they know. If You get all that.

I don't think your social anxiety would have helped you in anyway. I think it is a thing that is not noticeable when you first meet a person. Its a hidden disability I think. One of them things that's difficult to live with cos it makes things frustrating. To have no legs is an obverse disability and one that's not nice but it is obverse to all who would meet a person with no legs. I would think cos of how social anxiety works that can be a much moor frustrating thing to have to deal with.

I do think you cope with this mostly in the most positive way you can. OK some times you let this get to you. sometimes you really let it get to you. When you let it get to you to much I think that can be dangerous for you. Chris, mate. I have very few friends but I do at lest have ppl I can go out with when speeding to much time on my own becomes to much. I do think it can make meeting other ppl easier when you do that throw the ppl you already know.

OK hear are some suggestions. Are you religious at all? You have prayed be for have you not. I remember you saying you had prayed. Well even if you have lost your faith Churches can be a good place to meet ppl. I know some Churches have younger ppl in them as well. Might be worth giving it a try? What have you got to lose?

Also I think it would be a good thing to talk to someone about all this. Get in touch with a counselor. They must have some kinder serves at college for ppl like you. I refuse to believe that they are not other students that's having the same problem as you at your college. Just they well be in looking out at other ppl having fun the same as you. so its a bit difficult to meet one another. A consular would be trained to give better advice. Even if you have seen one be for its still worth doing it again. Again you have nothing to lose.

Apart from that do you play chess. If so is there a chess club in your college? Dose not matter how good you are I mean you would be playing one on one with someone. So be for and after the game you would at lest have to exchange some words.

Voluntary organisations is another thing that a lot of students do cos its a way of getting involved in something that there trying to gain experience from. Is there any kinder Voluntary organisation that you could get involved in? Apart from meeting moor ppl by doing something like that you also well feeling good about making Volunteering and helping. I would say chicks would dig any guy that's nice enough to help in such ways as that as well.

And lastly. This is something I always think of when am feeling at rock bottom and no where else left to go. And that is when your feeling at your lowest and at rock bottom at lest there is no where else to go but back up :)

Hey Chris. Sorry to read this about You. I was so sure that You were going to get better after the positive posts You made some months ago. There's still lots of time to find the place where You can feel like You belong.

You obviously are a person who very much would like to have a very social life. I think You've done an awesome job greeting all those people there, but did You do anything else than that? Just curious. Simply greeting a person doesn't really make him/her interested in hanging out with You most of the time, maybe especially freshmen who probably are more interested in getting settled and talking with the people they already know for a while.

Since Bluey pulled the heaviest load on this one too, i'm gonna add something that i think can make You feel better about all this if You really got it into Your head (not that i don't see why that would be a problem), and that is that maybe You weren't supposed to live where You do. Just because humans are adaptable it doesn't mean that we all fit in everywhere. I don't see why You couldn't get together with someone and get along just fine at that school anyway, but somewhere, YOU fit in great Chris.

We're all different, and since we are, it's just not possible for all of us to fit in where we actually live, regardless of if we've grown up there or not. When we're born, our traits and personalities already are defined in us. Thanks to our intelligence we are able to adapt very well regardless of how we grow up, but that doesn't mean that we'll feel good everywhere. What are the people like where You live? Do You feel any connection to the people around You at all? You might simply be adapted for something that most of the people in Your area/city/country/culture aren't and vice versa. I think it was You who once said that You hate the place where You live. The area is a violent crazy-house or something like that i think You said. Well, isn't that reason enough for You to not exactly be made to live in that place then?

Anyone get friends anywhere if they just adapt, and we have to choose; adapt, or move somewhere else, where the place and people are adapted to YOU. Think about it, and it might be easier for You to cope with that You can't get any friends where You've tried. You know, for example, since i know that You play/played World of Warcraft, maybe the other people who are like You, and who doesn't really like the area around them, are sitting inside, looking for someone like You to hang out with?

We can try all we want, but we can't fight who we are. We just don't fit in everywhere, and You might simply be one of the people who were unlucky enough to end up in a place where You really weren't supposed to live in. Somewhere, we ALL fit in.

Chirs, about a month ago I started work with 9 other people around my age. I didnt know any of them at all. I just started out trying to get to know them, Ask where there from, what made them apply for the job, what you where doing before this, etc. Just make small talk. If your in a club you have an advantage of common interest.
Anyway, About week 2-3, we start hanging out after work, Going to the gym, pool, beach, movies (yeah we finish work early :p). So within 3 weeks, If made myself 9 friends.

I mean in this situation, You would have to go out of your way to not make friends. Get involved, Dont be the one that sperates from the group.

My piont is, you can jion all the clubs in the world, yet it wont make the bit of difference unless you let go of all your inabitions and just make friends. What ever it is thats holding you back, just let it go.
Just go for it! you have nothing to lose.

What I do is jump into other peoples conversations, or atleast listen. If someones talking to a group, which im sure will happen in clubs you jion, Just stand with them and keep eye contact with whoever is talking and they will notice you as apart of it, and when ever you can, throw your 2 cents worth in there.

Basically dude, Just do it. dont hold back.

Porman has totally got it. You'd rather get a confirmation from a person that You two don't really get along, rather than walk around wondering about it and wasting time on that person, right Chris? Sooner or later, someone's gonna like You for that You started talking, and talk back to You. In some cases, from other people's view of You, it's actually better to talk and take the risk of say something silly than to stay quiet.

Have you thought of seeking couseling ? Stop beating up on yourself.
It's can be a visiouse cycle once you get into a self defeating habit.
Remember this...no matter where you go, there you are and your shadow too. lol

Peer pressure and wanting to fit in can be stressful. Wanting to be accepted and
getting rejected can destroy your self confident....But it is not the end of the world.

Yes, it can effect your dreams or goals. Please re evauate the reason why you are attending
school ? Please take notes of the hard work your parents did just to put you through college.
Also take into considerations that millions of people would do anything just to have the opportunty
to gain a higher education..but don't have that opportunity.

I'd do anything if someone would send me to college so that I can study full time , right now.

well...all i know is taking care of a family , working full time bascailly gave me hardly any time
just to go hang out, espacailly during the week days. The last thing on my mind was trying
to fit in into someone's else idea of a good time or life.lol

Being a musican. i supposed I became accustom to spending a lot of my time locked
in my room playing, studying ,and writing music. My father warned me as a child that it can be
lonely life at times . But I love music. It's probably some of the reasons I've develope
anti-social skills. Keeping a balance was difficult....ain't nothing like a woman to walk into
my life to mess up my guitar playing skills.lol I'm shy on the surface and the truth is I'm
a very, very private person.lol I don't let too many people into my life.lol

I had to work through a lot of issues. Self esteem..ect.
I tried to take my own life as a young man...getting locked up in a rubber room for a month wasn't good.lol

Please seek help

Do you have something that you love to do ?
Maybe try doing sometype of service work. Visit elderly homes, voulenteer some of your time
at a community center or the salvation army. You'll meet plenty of interesting people.
Maybe it might give you a defferent percipective on life or the current college envirnment.

That's what i did. I did service work. I met a lot of people that helped me.
I needed moments in my life of where I'm not always thinking about myself.
Some poeple call it ...gettting out of yourself.
It helped me in so many ways becuase I had to take actions.
It was a learning process of getting out of my mind and taking posistive actions.
It wasn't always all about me anymore.

Bascailly I can sit all day and think of how shitty life is..in my mind and not do anything.
Then it'll just turn into a downward spiral that gose on in my head.

I don't know Chris.. I've had many many freinds and people that came into my life.
I'm living alone now. I don't have anyone or friends that'll visit me or hang out with at the moment.
I don't feel lonely, loney though. At this moment sharing on this site is only interaction I have with
other humans.lol

Yeah...hope came into my life when i was least expecting it. Though i havn't heard from hope in a while.lmao
It's okay though...nothing last forever.lol mmm...even sadness or insanity. :p

This too shall pass.

Accept the people who accept you

That's what I have done and it seems to work.(for me)

Someone will always accept you.

I have PMed you and the last two times you have not replied ..I accepted you. Accept people who accept you in this way. You will have friends.
And once you have a few friends(even if it's online). You might stop caring what strangers think of you, or if people come to tell you hi..and then it becomes easier to make more friends....cause there is less expectations and therefore less depression.

tis what I think.

Sorry I just want to thank you all for the kind and long reply. Thanks for all the advice guys, and especially your Robin. You are 100% right, but even though this might not be the place for me, I can't change it. Because to be honest, Vietnam was my home, I was surrounded my people who love me, but of course the free people of Vietnam lost the Vietnam war and that was the end of many Vietnamese people hope. We came to America in search off a better life and in some sense it is better than Vietnam, but I grew up being racist, bully, beat up, humiliated, as well as many other things. So you see you sometime don't have a choice where you want to live, at least not until college for me. But I can't imagine anyone to except to me to live another 2 years of college alone. Maybe things will change some day, but if I have no friends for the rest of my college life, then I rather die instead.

I'm sitting right now, cold and tire but deeply hungry. Next to me are 3 tables each with 6 to 7 people talking, smiling, laughing. Of course I shouldn't be ashame for being alone, since I had my chance to make friends, but thanks to Anxiety it destroy all hope. My heart feel like it gonna bleed any moment, I am trying very hard to ignore the pain, and somehow transfer it out of my head. It really tough, the dining hall is pack, and I don't know what to do. I decided to go back to therapy, much good that will do, but most of my resource has been exhausted. Sometime I wish I could shut up all the people in the dining hall, I'm growing impatient, and I can't stand their noise much longer. I am the saddest person right now on earth, I don't know what I did wrong, other than that I'm a mistake, and should have never even set foot upon this earth.

I don't know what make Cho shoot students at Virginia Tech, but I can see how society is cruel to the unfortunate few. I just don't know how much longer I can become sane. I feel like a creep, an outcast unable to adept like everyone else, while at the same time completely ignore. I have many dark secret that are consider sick, and I had a dream last night that I really hope 2012 is the end of the world. I don't know how to be patience with life anymore, college was my last hope, and yet I'm still alive. Maybe I should call my mom tonight and tell her I can't take this anymore, listen to good charlotte song "the day that I die" over and over again and feel at piece. People are just so mess up, I'm all alone but no one would ever approach me, I could stand in the rain for hours on end, and no one would lend me a hand. I don't know where all the fine people I met on the internet, but it sure seem non existence in the real world.

Whatever happen, I'm alone, outside or in my room alone, I am alone. The fact that I did everything right this year, and yet I have no friends show how much uncertainly is in my life, so much obstacle stand in my way. Now the realization that having friends is like a fantasy is pathetic. All I need is friends, which clearly doesn't seem to happen. Right now I want to come up to those people and yell "STFU u stupid *****" SHUT UP, SHUT YOUR **** MOUTH or I"M GONNA HURT YOU". This is high school all over again guys, I am either bully, lonely, or ignore. I don't know what to now, people are hella loud, can't they shut their trap, and go fresia each other? That what they do anyway, so pretty girls with *******, could care less if they were rape, then come crying to the hospital, and then kill themselves. I don't know why I had to be Asian, cause I could clearly treat these girls with respect. Well I don't know why my life has turn out like this, but it has, mostly I can come up to my dad and thank him personally for "******* up my life".

I'm so lonely right now, and I need someone to understand me. Either this or by the end of my third year, I'm moving school. Of course the feeling doesn't seem right, but even when coming back I thought I would clearly make friends. Maybe what I need is a change of pace, maybe I should live outside of the USA. I don't know I wish I had some sort of compass telling me where to go, who gonna be my girlfriend, who gonna be my friend. Of course now I'm drawing the line between fantasy and reality. Well I can't move right now, seem my leg has fallen asleep.

Am I wrong to think of all these wrong thoughts? About hurting people or what not? Am I just mentally sick that I can't just function normal. Am I just so curse that when everything seem more perfect than ever in my life, things go completely wrong, and everything just fall to part once again. Oh great another guy and 4 pretty girl sitting next to me. Well I guess I better get going, I can't take it much longer. This world is an awful place to live in, and seeing that I'm not the only person miserable on earth, that all the proof there really is. Right now it a hidden truth. I'm a fun and good person but of course no one knows or care to know. I'm pretty sure if people knew I didn't have friends, they would care enough to be my friends, but they don't know, hardly anyone know, in fact NO ONE knows. Sometime I wonder why I buy nice clothes? For what, I'm still alone forever, it suck, people are rotten, and they don't even know it.

ppl can be rotten and not even know it. But there not mind readers. Why do you have to move cos them girls and that guy seat next to you? You could say hallo instead.

I think when you feel as crap as you do that not caring if a pretty girl gets raped or not cos she seems to have it good in all other placers is normal. I know when ppl try telling me that other ppl in 3d world countries have it weirs, Well that doesn't help me feeling any better about my own honeysuckle. I mean all I or any of us can do is aspear to what is around us. So if all my friends had no friends and no GF and no job I Guss I would feel better about my self. I Guss this is why I come to this place. Cos at lest ppl here get where am coming fom when I talk about myself. Even if they can not help, They understand which is moor then most ppl do IRL.

Am glad to hear your getting some moor therapy. It can do no harm.

jales said:

I have PMed you and the last two times you have not replied ..I accepted you. Accept people who accept you in this way. You will have friends.
And once you have a few friends(even if it's online). You might stop caring what strangers think of you, or if people come to tell you hi..and then it becomes easier to make more friends....cause there is less expectations and therefore less depression.

tis what I think.

Thanks Jales but I do accept people, it just not the other way around. The reason I have not reply to your 2 pm is I don't know what to write. Maybe it just me but how does having friends online make me stop caring what stranger think of me? Will my online friends sit with me at the dinning hall pack with people with tons of friends, and hardly anyone eating alone beside me? People don't say hi to me, in fact they walk past me most of the time unless I say hi first. I open my doors for at least 2 week nows, and no one even bother to say hi. That is what I wanted Jales, but no one even bother saying hi to me, maybe it just my floor mate are just so much different from last year, or maybe it just that I have the worst luck.

Hey Chris,

I don't know a lot about you, because I just joined recently. But something that helped me when I first started socializing was to really look at the way I act towards others, and how I communicate. Body language and tone of voice are a big thing; I found that I was being quiet and kind of meek. So I started being more outspoken (but not an *******), and more confident around people. Soon enough, I had friends. I thought one of my supervisors hated my guts by the looks he gave me...but now he's my best friend. I eat dinner at his house and we laugh at stuff.

You mentioned people standing in a circle. It may seem closed, but usually it's not, if you know the people a little. Just saying 'hi' usually isn't enough to make an impression. You have to have repeated contact with people. Eventually they'll know your name, and as you start making the effort to communicate more and more, they'll open up to you.

Try to find people who are interested in the things you like, or even easier, someone from one of your college classes! If you want it to be even easier, wait till the new quarter starts and start socializing with those students.

You'll find the most success if you take leadership instead of looking for someone to follow. I know that's difficult. Believe me, I know. But it's only hard at first. Pick out the friendliest person, and see if they want to either go have burgers after class, or maybe form a study group. Then, after a couple times of that, invite another student to join you guys.

Example: On my volunteer fire department, we frequently have a lack of fresh training for meetings. We don't have a high call volume, so training is very important. So I sat down with one of our officers and made a format for a 'dry drill', wherein our personnel can go through the motions of a certain maneuver as a team. It wasn't complex by any means, but I gave a good opening talk at the start of the meeting, and the groups successfuly performed the exercise and told me they really liked it and wanted more training exercises along those lines. So we're going to have more.

I'm only 20. The next youngest person in this social group is...29, I believe. But they still took me seriously, and they're still my best friends.

I know you can make some friends somehow, Chris. We all have challenges to overcome, some trickier than others. Just breathe, realize that life is OK and that you're probably a likeable person. I bet you and me would get along good if we lived near eachother. You just have to step back some and figure out how to communicate that likeability to other people (without seeming like a lost puppy, mind you ;) )

Hope this helps,
Brian

Edit:
Definitely look at your posture; that's the most obvious body language to figure out if you're doing it wrong or not.
We'll use the above example, people standing in a circle.

Good stances:
-Arms crossed, feet apart, chest out, smiling with your head slightly tilted: You'll see in the mirror that you look confident, kinda reserved, but not agressive and still interested in what people are saying.
-Hands partially in your pockets, leaning back slightly: A neutral posture, but you look comfortable. NO HANDS ALL THE WAY IN POCKETS! That communicates shy discomfort. Either keep your thumbs out, or just your thumbs hooked in.

Bad general body language:
-Hands sunk in pockets: Indicates defensive shyness; implies you're not as good as they are
-not smiling: This one should be obvious
-no eye contact: Suggests you are withdrawn, not really 'in to it'.
-'closed' crossed arms: When I say arms crossed, don't tuck your hands in. Clasp your hands on your biceps if you're going to cross your arms.
-anything that looks unnatural in a mirror

I want you to actually go stand in front of a mirror and experiment for a while. Put on some decent clothes for it (If you're like me, you're wearing sweatpants that haven't been washed in a month as long as noone's around). After you experiment with body language some, throw facial expression in to the mix. You'll find that certain ways of smiling, subtle eyebrow positioning, the tilt of your head...it all factors in to how you look to others. You can have your brow slightly furrowed and seem interested in what they're saying, but then you can raise your eyebrows a bit and smile just a little, and you look almost mockingly amused (this one is good sometimes, because someone might not pick up on it entirely, but it gives you a feeling of confidence that -they- are entertaining -you-. Just don't use it demeaningly). As you think about it you'll find this stuff actually holds a lot of sway for everyone, including yourself.

Do you have a camera? If you want, you can PM me some photos of yourself while you're working with the mirror, and I'll tell you what I see and how I think you can fix it. I'm no trained expert, but I at least helped myself out some.

Chris 2 said:
Maybe it just me but how does having friends online make me stop caring what stranger think of me? Will my online friends sit with me at the dinning hall pack with people with tons of friends, and hardly anyone eating alone beside me? People don't say hi to me, in fact they walk past me most of the time unless I say hi first. I open my doors for at least 2 week nows, and no one even bother to say hi. That is what I wanted Jales, but no one even bother saying hi to me, maybe it just my floor mate are just so much different from last year, or maybe it just that I have the worst luck.

Dude, I have made some lasting and true friendships online, when I listened to them it didn't make people see me differently, it made me see myself differently, when you are full of anger others can see it or feel it and you seem to be quite angry, people will avoid you if they feel that. It makes me mad as hell to see wonderful women with total ********. I think "If they would just give me the chance I could be thier knight in shinning armor"
I'm married, have been for 20+ years, I found out my wife has only been using me all this time so that she doesn't have to work. I'm nothing more than a paycheck to her. I was so angry and hurt that I wanted to end it all. My friends here have gotten me past that, I'm ready to start over but it still hurts, a PM from an internet friend can put a smile on my face, and does quite often. People see that smile and stop to talk. Friendship can come in many forms, don't overlook it because you can't touch it. You have to be your own friend before others will want to be your friend. You have to smile inside for people to believe the smile outside, then they will want to be with you.
Believe me Chris, I've been there dude, I was an angry young man once too. A long long time ago. Your problem is not whats on the outside, you have to start with whats on the inside.

lol....99% of the time girls walk pass me unless I say hi first.
Out of the 1% that I do say hello to.. 50% wants to run the hell as far away from me.lol
Out of the other 50% ...50% have thier finger on the trigger of a pepper spray can.lmao
49% of that just wanna use and abuse me...half of which will actaully stock me :p

And of course there's the 1. That's all I need.lol
Well, they didn't write songs such as "your one in a million " for nutting.lmao

Surely I didn't write that song. So how in the hell can I be singled out as having the crappiest
life on this planet.lol
Well....obviousely i wasn't the first and definitely wasn't the last.lmao

As much as i hate my ex-wife sometimes.
Miss freaken super model ...
She however stamped these words in my mind.
"YOU CAN'T LOVE SOMEONE ELSE UNLESS YOU LOVE YOURSELF FIRST"
**** it...I hate it when she's right.lmao

Holy schmoly Eve.....you didn't get enough Moonlight in your sleep
last night or what ? :p

I want to believe there are some people who waiting for say hi to them.
How about join the same the interest association.

Lonesome Crow said:
Holy schmoly Eve.....you didn't get enough Moonlight in your sleep
last night or what ? :p

heh, I wanted to kick you so bad yesterday Rocket, that I could almost taste it. I knew it was you!

:club:

Count yourself lucky that I actually like you. :D

oh boyyy....
are four mods really not enough?
someone close this thread please.
for you new mods in case you're stuck it goes like this;
From the main page click on the "General" forum, then click the box by this thread, and there should be a little scroll down list towards the bottom of the page. select "Close Threads".
Nice and simple, only takes a minute.

Online friends wont sit with you at lunch or go with you to a bar.

But they will keep you comapny when no one is around at 2am,
they will listen to stories about how your brother and you fought and he cut your hair off, they will listen and get to know you for who you are, and they will accept you.

Chris2 many people who come to this forum who are married, or in relationships, or live with their parents, or live with a house mate, or have kids. And it's not that absolutely no one will tell them hi. But it is that they dont connect with anyone.

Loneliness hurts. Really, really, really bad. But it's not just because there is no one around when you are eating. It's because there is no one you feel connected to, there is no one you feel loves you, and would care if you get hurt or are in pain, and it hurts because there is no one to listen to you when you are having the worst day of your life.. or to help get your mind of of all the bullshit that just might happen.

Maybe it is different for each person though.

But a lot of people think you have to have someone phyisically there to get rid of your loneliness. It's not always true.. Loneliness is a mentally state of being.. you dont have to have someone there.. you have to know that someone is there, or will be there (always).

That someone is your friend and that they care for you, and that when you get home after class they are waiting online.. to talk to you and to find out if you are okay, and to tell you about the funny stuff they have been through that day.

Open up to internet people. I really think it will help your lonliness and in the long run allow you to make real life friends without putting as much pressure on yourself.

Feel free to PM me..
juat type what ever is on your mind. whether it is one sentence or a 27 page word document!
Hope to hear from you ...if you dont want to PM me that is also okay.

But I hope you are well. Talk care of yourself. And no one can get through this life without some form of good relationships ..(well not no one.. but it's very hard...so it's something worth working on).

My advice. Step 1: Accept people.

Chris 2 said:
jales said:

tis what I think.

Thanks Jales but I do accept people, it just not the other way around. The reason I have not reply to your 2 pm is I don't know what to write. Maybe it just me but how does having friends online make me stop caring what stranger think of me? Will my online friends sit with me at the dinning hall pack with people with tons of friends, and hardly anyone eating alone beside me? People don't say hi to me, in fact they walk past me most of the time unless I say hi first. I open my doors for at least 2 week nows, and no one even bother to say hi. That is what I wanted Jales, but no one even bother saying hi to me, maybe it just my floor mate are just so much different from last year, or maybe it just that I have the worst luck.

Latest posts

Back