Career Path

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzheng

Reaction score
What is your job?  How did you get hired for it?

My friend's friend knew the owner of a store that makes salads, wraps and bubble tea.  So I got hired there but I decided not to work there because one of the other workers was rude to me.  Everyone else was nice to me but that one person made me lose my motivation to work there.  I guess I'm very sensitive (sigh).

I hope to work for government either as a public health researcher or a diplomat.  But I would need a master's degree to do either of those things and I don't have one yet.  So in the meantime I am hoping to work as a tutor for elementary school kids, or helping people in other countries learn English.  I applied to help Chinese people learn English and I will start training for that in August.  I hope that opportunity becomes a permanent job, I could really use the $$$.

What job did you want to do when you were little?  Why did you change your mind?

What job do you fantasize about doing?  (I daydream about becoming a day trader.  I love graphs so it might be a good job for me.  But there's lots of risk involved, and few people to help you succeed.)

Sadly I didn't have a direction in life so I kind of went job to job after getting laid off from each one. Until about 2013 I landed my current job. It's through a temp agency, but it's open ended for time so as long as the main Corp needs me I'll be employed.
But as a kid I wanted to be a few things. Pilot, but that didn't seem realistic for me. So then I seriously considered joining the California Highway Patrol. But looking the requirements that too made me discouraged to try.

In hindsight I wish I knew about the place I currently work at sooner. I might have pursued a degree in that instead. I make ok money, but if I had pursued an actual degree with a goal I might be doing better in all aspects of my life. So now I'm just slowly working my way up.

Right now, I work two jobs at home. I don't call anyone, I don't sell anything, I don't deal with people at all. I can't go into detail about what I do because I signed an NDA. For the most part, I enjoy what I do. As with any job, there are some bullshit aspects, but yeah, I enjoy it.

Since I was 11, I have wanted to be a lawyer. Sadly, that didn't happen because I got pregnant shortly after I graduated. I still want to go into that field, but I'm thinking lower on the spectrum now since I don't want to go through all that college at my age. I'm thinking social work now.

At 14 i told my careers master i wanted to work in a Stamp collector's shop hopefully leading to owning my own shop ,i was a fanatical collector and had a massive collection .He didn't look that impressed and said did i have any other realistic career paths.At 17 i started to get really interested in working as a forestry worker but ended up working ten years for the government  after jacking in uni :(

After being made redundant i became self employed , advertised eveywhere including shop windows biulding up my business but it was a struggle for along time till i got sort of recommended to a couple of people in my line of business and they now provide about half of my work which i enjoy most of the time and have no desire to do anything  else.

Feel for you about the employee causing you problems  i had the same as a junior in the office  guy ten years older made it a nightmare releived when i got a transfer.

I work in media/publishing. I'm essentially a glorified blogger - I post web content, writing/editing when necessary, some creative and graphic design. My job is flexible - I usually work in an office but am free to work from home as well when needed. I don't deal with people and that's just fine by me because I'm very much an introvert. Most days, I am plugged into my headphones listening to music all day.

If I were younger, I would probably go back to school and get a degree in Library and Information Technology. I would enjoy working in a museum, library or archives.

When I was a kid, my dream job was to be to a parapsychologist (a person who studies the paranormal and psychic phenomena!) I wanted to live in a haunted English manor house and conduct ghost tours. Yeah...I was a weird kid, hehehe.

TheRealCallie said:
Right now, I work two jobs at home.  I don't call anyone, I don't sell anything, I don't deal with people at all.  I can't go into detail about what I do because I signed an NDA.  For the most part, I enjoy what I do.  As with any job, there are some bullshit aspects, but yeah, I enjoy it.  

Since I was 11, I have wanted to be a lawyer.  Sadly, that didn't happen because I got pregnant shortly after I graduated.  I still want to go into that field, but I'm thinking lower on the spectrum now since I don't want to go through all that college at my age.  I'm thinking social work now.

I could see you as a paralegal. I knew a 60 year old that went back to school for that....you're not too old!

I just add my 2 cents worth here. I grew up in an orphanage (from a baby) in Asia. Left at 17 yo with high school certificate and got an electrician apperentice job. I studied in the evenings for a programming diploma from a UK university. After 2 years, got "Best Student in Asia" award. 
Did 1 year of software development in Asia and head hunted for a job in Singapore (for a US PLC company). Went for interview in Singapore (1 Singaporean and 2 US managers). After more than an hour,  Singaporean said I was not suited for the job. One of the US manager walked me to the elevator and offered me a job in Islandia, New York. I accepted and after 2 years, I  was appointed Asia Field Engineer. Hahaha .... the Singaporean always 'not in office' whenever I am in town.
I retired in 2014. Traveling the world and investing in new start ups.

Latest posts

Back