Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drowning in the quicksands of despair … and the best-ever joke about loneliness
Good morning, people. This is my first post and I don’t know where to start. All I know is that I have hit rock bottom. 

I hope I am a naturally fun but thoughtful human being. 

Now, for the first time in my life, I feel as if I have no real friends or family in the world. 

Everyone I have let close to me has let me down big-time. 

Again, for the first time in my life, I feel there is no-one to whom I can pick up the phone and chat – and that is quite scary..

I am a professional listener and wordsmith by trade and am very loyal, and attentive and try and find humour in virtually everything. 

But now I feel as if I am now trapped in a mental prison from which there is no escape. Hence, me joining here today.

PS: Does anyone know how you put a photo on your profile, please?

PPS: I live in Yorkshire, England.

PPPS: Just to show it’s not all doom and gloom, here's my favourite loneliness joke. "Scientists tried to isolate the loneliness gene. Then they discovered it was already isolated” – Alexei Sayle.

Attached Files
.jpg   Me May 2019.jpg (Size: 60.16 KB / Downloads: 24)
Welcome to the site

(07-25-2019, 02:44 PM)givinguphopeforlent Wrote: PS: Does anyone know how you put a photo on your profile, please?

User CP (upper left of screen)

Change Avatar (in the "your profile" section on the left of the screen)

It will show up in your profile also.
(07-28-2019, 12:23 AM)Minus Wrote: Welcome to the site

(07-25-2019, 02:44 PM)givinguphopeforlent Wrote: PS: Does anyone know how you put a photo on your profile, please?

User CP (upper left of screen)

Change Avatar (in the "your profile" section on the left of the screen)

It will show up in your profile also.

Thank you, Minus!
Ok, looks like it worked for you Smile
Hello, Givinguphopeforlent

That joke made me laugh, but it was to be expected. I think the funniest people in the world are Britts.
Their humor is second to none. Sorry, you feel so alone. There are many friendly folks here. 

So you are a wordsmith? Please tell me more. 

Have a good night.

(07-25-2019, 02:44 PM)givinguphopeforlent Wrote: Good morning, people. This is my first post and I don’t know where to start. All I know is that I have hit rock bottom. 

Now, for the first time in my life, I feel as if I have no real friends or family in the world. 

Again, for the first time in my life, I feel there is no-one to whom I can pick up the phone and chat – and that is quite scary..

I am a professional listener and wordsmith by trade and am very loyal, and attentive and try and find humour in virtually everything. 

But now I feel as if I am now trapped in a mental prison from which there is no escape. Hence, me joining here today.

PPPS: Just to show it’s not all doom and gloom, here's my favourite loneliness joke. "Scientists tried to isolate the loneliness gene. Then they discovered it was already isolated” – Alexei Sayle.

Morning welcome to the site. Can I please ask what is a wordsmith.  Your joke made me laugh and sad St the same time.what part of Yorkshire are you from.  The only thing that keeps me positive is my dogs. You can always chat to people on here.try and keep positive Cool
(07-28-2019, 05:34 PM)outdoor girl Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 02:44 PM)givinguphopeforlent Wrote: Good morning, people. This is my first post and I don’t know where to start. All I know is that I have hit rock bottom. 

Morning welcome to the site. Can I please ask what is a wordsmith.  Your joke made me laugh and sad St the same time.what part of Yorkshire are you from.  The only thing that keeps me positive is my dogs. You can always chat to people on here.try and keep positive Cool

Hi there, Outdoor Girl. 
Thanks for replying to my post and for your kind words. 
I’m glad you got something from the joke! Humour is such a great weapon in the fight against loneliness and depression!
Right. A wordsmith is someone whose main tools are words. For example, I have been an author but spent most of my career as a hard-hitting, but humorous newspaper journalist. I am now a carer for vulnerable autistic people.
Glad you get energy from your dogs. We all need lifeforce to keep going in whatever way, shape or form. Whenever I feel rock bottom in my personal life, the only thing that keeps ME going is my clients. I need to keep going for them!
I live in a remote, quirky coastal village in the East Riding of Yorkshire off the banks of the Humber and can see the Humber Bridge from my windows in the far distance. What about you?
As well as being a journalist, I have a qualification in counselling, so I hope to be a good listener as well as ranting humorously about my own trials on this site!
You take care, 
Mark

(07-28-2019, 08:31 AM)Minus Wrote: Ok, looks like it worked for you Smile

Ta!
(07-28-2019, 03:05 PM)Naleena Wrote: Hello, Givinguphopeforlent

That joke made me laugh, but it was to be expected. I think the funniest people in the world are Britts.
Their humor is second to none. Sorry, you feel so alone. There are many friendly folks here. 

So you are a wordsmith? Please tell me more. 

Have a good night.

Hi Naleena,

Glad I cheered your day up – and thanks for the big-up about British humour!

I've done a bit of stand-up comedy (including the Edinburgh Festival) and one of my own favourite jokes – when I was taking the p*ss out of my lowness – was: "I wouldn’t say I’m depressed, but I’m giving up hope for Lent.” Hence, my username!

Right. I am – or was – a wordsmith. I have spent most of my life as an award-winning, hard-hitting newspaper journalist – always with humour, of course! I was a boil on the bum of people in high places who abused their power. 

I don’t know where you’re from, Naleena, but, alas, here in Britain the newspapers have been dumbed-down, becoming obsessed with celebrities rather than the things that TOTALLY mattered. Budgets have been slashed and now most of the great reporters I worked with are no longer in the industry. So who needs press censorship here?! Giggles. 

Anyway, I still have my scrapbooks and still have hundreds of funny stories to tell from my days in newspapers. They were filled with such laughter, friendship, connection, lifeforce, love and stories that it makes my current situation all the more sterile!

I love words. I have also authored two books. I am a savage self-critic but I’m proud of them both (sorry, I’ve got to start boosting my self-esteem!)

And yes, I am hoping to make connections and deep, meaningful chats with ‘many friendly folks here’.

What about you? What do you do? Do you like words and/or are you spiritual? My usual massive lifeforce levels are on the floor at the moment – not a nice feeling! Connection is everything. 

Please feel free to talk because I am hopefully a good listener. I have a qualification in counselling. So as well as ranting (humorously, I hope) about my latest trials on this site, I hope to be a sensitive, kind ear to people who want to let off steam.

You take care,

Mark
Hello, Mark.

Wow! Where to begin? It sounds like you have lead an extraordinary life! It's good to laugh and, what an awesome thing to bring that to people. I believe laughter is soul medicine. It is healing. I would rank it far above chicken soup. When I'm down, I love to pop in a good comedy. 

So you were an award-winning journalist? You sound so accomplished. You must have worked very hard to get there. People look at success and think it's all luck, but I know it's really all hard work and a little luck. Say, what was your biggest story?

Speaking of journalism, I am from the US. I have little faith in journalism. I live in Oregon. It's beautiful here. I love the mountains. I hope to see the coast sometime. I hear it is very lovely. I love nature and visiting beautiful, quiet places. I find a lot of connection there. 

I understand what you mean about deep connections and things that are meaningful. It seems everything-or most everything- is so disposable. There is so much consumerism and very little desire for what really matters. I was a hospice nurse for almost eight years and dying people have taught me so much. What's important gets really clear when you are on your death bed. 

I loved my job. I felt like I had a purpose. However, that ended for me after an event that left me with PTSD. It's ok though. I am healing. And one of the ways I am able to heal is through my spirituality. I've had a lot of loss
over the past five or so years, but I'm still here and I am blessed. 

I have recently started thinking about what I will do with the rest of my life. I want to be a wordsmith, too! I want to write meaningful song lyrics for the world. Of course, I won't quit my day job just yet, but I believe if I work hard enough, it can happen. 

I don't know if you have ever taken Myers-Briggs test, but I bet you are either an INFP or an INFJ. 

I leave for you today with this Tibetan Buddhist prayer. 

“May you be at peace, May your heart remain open. May you awaken to the light of your own true nature. May you be healed. May you be a source of healing for all beings.

Hello.

Welcome. I hope I can help somehow, though I'm so far away in the world...

I realized recently too that I have no true friends. Have been trying to figure out what to do about it, or rather how to live with the knowledge of the fact.

Perhaps I have greater expectations of what I could call a friend... Or maybe I really have none all right... I think this is the case. (I guess my therapist believes rather in the first one.) To be simple, I guess it's really not having anyone who will care to listen to what you have to say at the other side of the phone. Or more than that (because maybe someone would care to listen, but which really bothers me), not having people who consider you part of their lives, always being the one to look for people (and not really realizing they care much about it). This is what really makes me sad, and what makes me really feel lonely. Not being in anyone's agenda.

Do people look for you? Anyone? (If someone looks for you, then you might have someone who cares.)

Anyway, I'm babbling...

Welcome again, and I hope you enjoy the company!
Hello. I'm Gustavo. (If you call me Gus, it's all right too.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Survey to learn about coping with loneliness jkl 2 495 04-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Last Post: jkl
  Loneliness Avargus 6 717 12-28-2018, 06:23 PM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  Complex loneliness UT_Laura 7 702 11-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Last Post: matt4
  Bittersweet Loneliness Dreaminginiowa 2 658 06-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: constant stranger
  Lonely man suffering from anxiety, loneliness and burnout LonesomeCowboy 28 4,088 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Last Post: LonesomeCowboy
  Self imposed loneliness mossy 8 2,596 11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Last Post: GizmonicScrewdriver
  Dealing with loneliness Unix 7 1,713 09-05-2017, 01:56 AM
Last Post: MisterLonely
  Loneliness Sad.and.lonely.uk 5 1,254 03-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Ilvatresbien
  Vacation triggered loneliness Missingthesun 8 1,849 02-06-2017, 05:18 AM
Last Post: ditakelly
  Loneliness in young people Lilacpup97 3 2,255 05-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Last Post: marriedukmale