Drowning in the quicksands of despair … and the best-ever joke about loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning, people. This is my first post and I don’t know where to start. All I know is that I have hit rock bottom. 

I hope I am a naturally fun but thoughtful human being. 

Now, for the first time in my life, I feel as if I have no real friends or family in the world. 

Everyone I have let close to me has let me down big-time. 

Again, for the first time in my life, I feel there is no-one to whom I can pick up the phone and chat – and that is quite scary..

I am a professional listener and wordsmith by trade and am very loyal, and attentive and try and find humour in virtually everything. 

But now I feel as if I am now trapped in a mental prison from which there is no escape. Hence, me joining here today.

PS: Does anyone know how you put a photo on your profile, please?

PPS: I live in Yorkshire, England.

PPPS: Just to show it’s not all doom and gloom, here's my favourite loneliness joke. "Scientists tried to isolate the loneliness gene. Then they discovered it was already isolated” – Alexei Sayle.

Attachments

• Me May 2019.jpg
    Me May 2019.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 191
Welcome to the site

givinguphopeforlent said:

User CP (upper left of screen)

Change Avatar (in the "your profile" section on the left of the screen)

It will show up in your profile also.

Ok, looks like it worked for you :)

Hello, Givinguphopeforlent

That joke made me laugh, but it was to be expected. I think the funniest people in the world are Britts.
Their humor is second to none. Sorry, you feel so alone. There are many friendly folks here. 

So you are a wordsmith? Please tell me more. 

Have a good night.

Good morning, people. This is my first post and I don’t know where to start. All I know is that I have hit rock bottom. 

Now, for the first time in my life, I feel as if I have no real friends or family in the world. 

Again, for the first time in my life, I feel there is no-one to whom I can pick up the phone and chat – and that is quite scary..

I am a professional listener and wordsmith by trade and am very loyal, and attentive and try and find humour in virtually everything. 

But now I feel as if I am now trapped in a mental prison from which there is no escape. Hence, me joining here today.

PPPS: Just to show it’s not all doom and gloom, here's my favourite loneliness joke. "Scientists tried to isolate the loneliness gene. Then they discovered it was already isolated” – Alexei Sayle.

Morning welcome to the site. Can I please ask what is a wordsmith.  Your joke made me laugh and sad St the same time.what part of Yorkshire are you from.  The only thing that keeps me positive is my dogs. You can always chat to people on here.try and keep positive :cool:

outdoor girl said:

Morning welcome to the site. Can I please ask what is a wordsmith.  Your joke made me laugh and sad St the same time.what part of Yorkshire are you from.  The only thing that keeps me positive is my dogs. You can always chat to people on here.try and keep positive :cool:

Hi there, Outdoor Girl. 
Thanks for replying to my post and for your kind words. 
I’m glad you got something from the joke! Humour is such a great weapon in the fight against loneliness and depression!
Right. A wordsmith is someone whose main tools are words. For example, I have been an author but spent most of my career as a hard-hitting, but humorous newspaper journalist. I am now a carer for vulnerable autistic people.
Glad you get energy from your dogs. We all need lifeforce to keep going in whatever way, shape or form. Whenever I feel rock bottom in my personal life, the only thing that keeps ME going is my clients. I need to keep going for them!
I live in a remote, quirky coastal village in the East Riding of Yorkshire off the banks of the Humber and can see the Humber Bridge from my windows in the far distance. What about you?
As well as being a journalist, I have a qualification in counselling, so I hope to be a good listener as well as ranting humorously about my own trials on this site!
You take care, 
Mark

Minus said:
Ok, looks like it worked for you :)

Ta!

Naleena said:
Hello, Givinguphopeforlent

That joke made me laugh, but it was to be expected. I think the funniest people in the world are Britts.
Their humor is second to none. Sorry, you feel so alone. There are many friendly folks here. 

So you are a wordsmith? Please tell me more. 

Have a good night.

Hi Naleena,

Glad I cheered your day up – and thanks for the big-up about British humour!

I've done a bit of stand-up comedy (including the Edinburgh Festival) and one of my own favourite jokes – when I was taking the p*ss out of my lowness – was: "I wouldn’t say I’m depressed, but I’m giving up hope for Lent.” Hence, my username!

Right. I am – or was – a wordsmith. I have spent most of my life as an award-winning, hard-hitting newspaper journalist – always with humour, of course! I was a boil on the bum of people in high places who abused their power. 

I don’t know where you’re from, Naleena, but, alas, here in Britain the newspapers have been dumbed-down, becoming obsessed with celebrities rather than the things that TOTALLY mattered. Budgets have been slashed and now most of the great reporters I worked with are no longer in the industry. So who needs press censorship here?! Giggles. 

Anyway, I still have my scrapbooks and still have hundreds of funny stories to tell from my days in newspapers. They were filled with such laughter, friendship, connection, lifeforce, love and stories that it makes my current situation all the more sterile!

I love words. I have also authored two books. I am a savage self-critic but I’m proud of them both (sorry, I’ve got to start boosting my self-esteem!)

And yes, I am hoping to make connections and deep, meaningful chats with ‘many friendly folks here’.

What about you? What do you do? Do you like words and/or are you spiritual? My usual massive lifeforce levels are on the floor at the moment – not a nice feeling! Connection is everything. 

Please feel free to talk because I am hopefully a good listener. I have a qualification in counselling. So as well as ranting (humorously, I hope) about my latest trials on this site, I hope to be a sensitive, kind ear to people who want to let off steam.

You take care,

Mark

Hello, Mark.

Wow! Where to begin? It sounds like you have lead an extraordinary life! It's good to laugh and, what an awesome thing to bring that to people. I believe laughter is soul medicine. It is healing. I would rank it far above chicken soup. When I'm down, I love to pop in a good comedy. 

So you were an award-winning journalist? You sound so accomplished. You must have worked very hard to get there. People look at success and think it's all luck, but I know it's really all hard work and a little luck. Say, what was your biggest story?

Speaking of journalism, I am from the US. I have little faith in journalism. I live in Oregon. It's beautiful here. I love the mountains. I hope to see the coast sometime. I hear it is very lovely. I love nature and visiting beautiful, quiet places. I find a lot of connection there. 

I understand what you mean about deep connections and things that are meaningful. It seems everything-or most everything- is so disposable. There is so much consumerism and very little desire for what really matters. I was a hospice nurse for almost eight years and dying people have taught me so much. What's important gets really clear when you are on your death bed. 

I loved my job. I felt like I had a purpose. However, that ended for me after an event that left me with PTSD. It's ok though. I am healing. And one of the ways I am able to heal is through my spirituality. I've had a lot of loss
over the past five or so years, but I'm still here and I am blessed. 

I have recently started thinking about what I will do with the rest of my life. I want to be a wordsmith, too! I want to write meaningful song lyrics for the world. Of course, I won't quit my day job just yet, but I believe if I work hard enough, it can happen. 

I don't know if you have ever taken Myers-Briggs test, but I bet you are either an INFP or an INFJ. 

I leave for you today with this Tibetan Buddhist prayer. 

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]“May you be at peace, May your heart remain open. May you awaken to the light of your own true nature. May you be healed. May you be a source of healing for all beings.[/font]

Hello.

Welcome. I hope I can help somehow, though I'm so far away in the world...

I realized recently too that I have no true friends. Have been trying to figure out what to do about it, or rather how to live with the knowledge of the fact.

Perhaps I have greater expectations of what I could call a friend... Or maybe I really have none all right... I think this is the case. (I guess my therapist believes rather in the first one.) To be simple, I guess it's really not having anyone who will care to listen to what you have to say at the other side of the phone. Or more than that (because maybe someone would care to listen, but which really bothers me), not having people who consider you part of their lives, always being the one to look for people (and not really realizing they care much about it). This is what really makes me sad, and what makes me really feel lonely. Not being in anyone's agenda.

Do people look for you? Anyone? (If someone looks for you, then you might have someone who cares.)

Anyway, I'm babbling...

Welcome again, and I hope you enjoy the company!

Naleena said:
Hello, Mark.

Wow! Where to begin? It sounds like you have lead an extraordinary life! It's good to laugh and, what an awesome thing to bring that to people. I believe laughter is soul medicine. It is healing. I would rank it far above chicken soup. When I'm down, I love to pop in a good comedy. 

So you were an award-winning journalist? You sound so accomplished. You must have worked very hard to get there. People look at success and think it's all luck, but I know it's really all hard work and a little luck. Say, what was your biggest story?

Speaking of journalism, I am from the US. I have little faith in journalism. I live in Oregon. It's beautiful here. I love the mountains. I hope to see the coast sometime. I hear it is very lovely. I love nature and visiting beautiful, quiet places. I find a lot of connection there. 

I understand what you mean about deep connections and things that are meaningful. It seems everything-or most everything- is so disposable. There is so much consumerism and very little desire for what really matters. I was a hospice nurse for almost eight years and dying people have taught me so much. What's important gets really clear when you are on your death bed. 

I loved my job. I felt like I had a purpose. However, that ended for me after an event that left me with PTSD. It's ok though. I am healing. And one of the ways I am able to heal is through my spirituality. I've had a lot of loss
over the past five or so years, but I'm still here and I am blessed. 

I have recently started thinking about what I will do with the rest of my life. I want to be a wordsmith, too! I want to write meaningful song lyrics for the world. Of course, I won't quit my day job just yet, but I believe if I work hard enough, it can happen. 

I don't know if you have ever taken Myers-Briggs test, but I bet you are either an INFP or an INFJ. 

I leave for you today with this Tibetan Buddhist prayer. 

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]“May you be at peace, May your heart remain open. May you awaken to the light of your own true nature. May you be healed. May you be a source of healing for all beings.[/font]

Soul medicine? Wow! Haven’t heard that expression for ages. And I’m not likely to these days. I moved 250 kilometres north to Yorkshire six years ago. Although it’s a wonderful place to live, they don’t really do spirituality or depression up here. One man, the life and soul of the village, a seemingly happy-go-lucky alcoholic, developed depression and the locals took the p*ss out of him because he was off work with a breakdown. I simply told him: “If you broke your leg would you take time off work to let it heal?” Enough said.

Yes, I have led ‘an extraordinary life’, I’ve probably crammed 10 lives into one. But, as probably said, it makes my current situation even more sterile and empty. I can understand, on a grander scale, how Ulysses felt coming back from his great crusades!

Thanks for your big-up re my journalism. You know what, Naleena? I’d wanted to be a journalist or author since I was three or four when I was a child prodigy who used to scare adults by beating them ay chess, doing long multiplications and spelling out every country in the world … like John Wyndham’s Midwich Cuckoos (of Village of the Damned movie fame!) So, yes, it was hard work, but I was a natural … wasn’t good at anything else!

Biggest story? Well, that’s a toughie! I broke the story that British European MPs were claiming two pensions – ones for Westminster in England as well as the one you’d expect them to get in Strasbourg/Brussels. B*stards! I also helped to ‘defrock’ a paedophile priest with some intuition/spider sense that Spiderman may have been proud of. But that’s another story. Just to let you know I wasn’t perfect. I once ‘killed off’ actor Rex Harrison, of the original Doctor Dolittle fame – a few months before he actually died. I called him ‘the late Rex Harrison’, unaware that he was still perfectly alive! Giggles.

Well done for having little faith in journalism. You won’t be surprised when I tell you I was a ‘news junkie’, devouring every bit of news I could lay my hands on. Now I avoid it like the plague. I don’t buy newspapers, visit news websites, or watch the TV news – and I turn the car radio off on the hour when the latest news bulletins come on. The result? A fear-free life. Just getting on in my own bubble. News is cyclical anyway, history repeating itself. If anyone tells me what the news headlines are; I can tell them from this what is REALLY happening. Anyway, it seems in your US that for many years the journalists were merely cheerleaders for the various administrations, regurgitating faithfully and unquestioningly what the politicians told them. Now that plague has arrived in Britain.

Oregon sounds (and looks) so beautiful and peaceful; a more natural beauty than the rugged beauty we have here on the East Yorkshire coast, where on a clear day I can see the Humber Bridge way into the distance. I can understand how easy it is to find connection with your surroundings, especially if you feel disconnected with humanity (as I do these days). I clapped when hands excitedly when I read your line there is ‘very little desire for what really matters’.

Such people can drag you down; that you are doing something wrong, feeling differently because they are the majority. I console myself with the Orwellian quote in 1984: “But after reading it he knew better than before that he was not mad. Being in a minority, even a minority of one, did not make you mad! There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.” 

I hope this is a source of great comfort to all the lonely people around the world.

I think it’s great that your experience as a hospice nurse has readied you for your deathbed. I’m in denial. My family on my Dad’s side, live to Methuselahnesque ages, never get ill and don’t age – I haven’t had a day off work sick for 24 years, despite being an alcoholic in my journalistic days! I wouldn’t have a clue what to do. 

And you had a purpose. One of the main things I learned from my counselling studies was that life HAS to have meaning or else you’re up sh*t creak without a paddle. Hence, my lowness at the moment. Don’t know what I’d do without my autistic clients. Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning was an inspiration to me. He realised that if he could survive the Nazi concentration camps and the loss of his wife, he could take anything that was thrown at him and find beauty in the slightest thing. And, for such a seemingly dark premise, it’s really funny too.

PTSD? Yes, I had four years of counselling for that. And my ex- took the mickey out of this. But you never stop healing. When I met my ex- seven years ago I was positively overflowing with lifeforce, even therapists who shook my hand for the first time noted this. But the negativity of the relationship has drained me so much that I am very lowly calibrated these days, I’m afraid. I live in hope, however. I know I am unique. Proper spirituality might come calling again big style one day.

Perhaps further down the line, no rush, we can share our experiences, the event that left you with PTSD, the end of the relationship that has sucked the positive energy out of me.

Happy to assist you with your wordsmithery! I know we’re all different and it’s a case of ‘whatever works for you’, but I could tell you things of 10 words that could transform your career. I have a teaching qualification and was hoping to teach creative writing and journalism, but again events conspired!

The Myers-Briggs test? Giggles. That brings back memories from my counselling degree. No, I never had the fortune of taking one. But thank-you for saying you think I’d be an INFP! My sense of right and wrong has been massive since an early age and was the driver for me as a truth-seeking journalist. Poor organisation was a low point, so I did something about it, got myself a voice recorder, diary and phone calendar and now I’m the most organised carer in East Yorkshire! I am very unassertive these days, I’m afraid, too laid back, ‘let it be, let it go’, but I was very assertive as a journalist, had to be, you understand. I am a healer. The hot hands again! Cured my dad’s back. And, yes, an idealist, of course. But it’s tough being an idealist on this toxic planet. What about you?

Thank you for the Buddhist prayer beautiful. This is a lovely way to start the week, Naleena … take my car to the garage to get faulty windscreen wipers working again and a day in the park picnicking with my main autistic client. 

PS: What do you do nowadays?

PPS: I haven’t proof-read this and I’m running late, so apologies for anything that doesn’t make sense!

Take care,

Mark

Hi Mark you sound as f you have an amazing career and a rewarding job helping people. I have been in the same job for the last 20 years will be there until I retire don't particularly enjoy it but it's familar and routine. You will make friends on her that will listen and understand. I have started meditation which helps me and I don't seem to get so down but my dogs have been a godsend it gives you a reason to go out hope you have a good day x

Hi there, welcome!  =)  So glad you found us, and hope it does help you too!  Love the joke, =D  I love a good clever joke!  I am a lot like you; an encouraging listener, trying to find best and funny side of life even in worst times.  Something that helps me and many others when overload is taking us down is nutritional care that is depleted in stress.   Magnesium is most needed and yet most depleted in anxiety! Also, Ginseng is great to get rid of sticky negative thoughts that loop around.  Together, they help us in time of need.  Also, getting outside, sitting in grass, looking at sky and getting some vit. D helps a lot too.  As you already know, helping others helps us too, so look for someone in need.  confidence is catchy, fake it till you make it.  People feel better around those who are confident and not apologetic.  So, call your friends you are unsure of, be your best and let them know you appreciate them rather than apologizing.  =)  <3

GustavusMacer said:
Hello Gustavus

Perhaps I have greater expectations of what I could call a friend... Or maybe I really have none all right... I think this is the case. (I guess my therapist believes rather in the first one.) To be simple, I guess it's really not having anyone who will care to listen to what you have to say at the other side of the phone. Or more than that (because maybe someone would care to listen, but which really bothers me), not having people who consider you part of their lives, always being the one to look for people (and not really realizing they care much about it). This is what really makes me sad, and what makes me really feel lonely. Not being in anyone's agenda.

Do people look for you? Anyone? (If someone looks for you, then you might have someone who cares.)

Hello Gustavus.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, this is always the way. Reading between the lines, it seems like you think the same as me – that everyone else is embraced in ‘normal’ healthy family and friendly social life.
Well, I’m not sure that people look out for me any more, now I’ve served my use to them!
I think that, far from being the so-called ‘golden age of communication’, with its mobiles, tablets, iPhones, laptops and social media, people have never connected less. Yes, the tech is connected, but people are not.
I despair! lol

Take care,
Mark

outdoor girl said:
Hi Mark you sound as f you have an amazing career and a rewarding job helping people. I have been in the same job for the last 20 years will be there until I retire don't particularly enjoy it but it's familar and routine. You will make friends on her that will listen and understand.  I have started meditation which helps me and I don't seem to get so down but my dogs have been a godsend it gives you a reason to go out hope you have a good day x

Blimey! A job for life? That’s a rarity in this day and age. Job insecurity leads to much of the anxiety and uncertainty that exists in the modern world. What do you do, may I ask? Haha, I live right in the middle of a lovely dog walk. I must see 100 dogs walk past every day … and their owners! Meditation is fab. I have been very naughty withthat the past 2 years. As I have got more and more down, I have done less and less to the extent that I haven’t done any for ages, haven’t made the time. Yet meditation actually frees time by getting you to think more clearly. Note to self: MUST DO BETTER.
Take care, 
Mark

KimmyO said:
Hi there, welcome!  =)  So glad you found us, and hope it does help you too!  Love the joke, =D  I love a good clever joke!  I am a lot like you; an encouraging listener, trying to find best and funny side of life even in worst times.  Something that helps me and many others when overload is taking us down is nutritional care that is depleted in stress.   Magnesium is most needed and yet most depleted in anxiety! Also, Ginseng is great to get rid of sticky negative thoughts that loop around.  Together, they help us in time of need.  Also, getting outside, sitting in grass, looking at sky and getting some vit. D helps a lot too.  As you already know, helping others helps us too, so look for someone in need.  confidence is catchy, fake it till you make it.  People feel better around those who are confident and not apologetic.  So, call your friends you are unsure of, be your best and let them know you appreciate them rather than apologizing.  =)  <3

Hi there Kimmy!

Yes, already on here it has been uplifting to make actual connection. Must say, I prefer meeting face-to-face to phone or social media because the eyes tell us what the voice and soulless printed word cannot. As a journalist by trade if I want to ‘hear’ what someone is saying I will turn the sound down and analyse the person’s face. But I have been cheered by this site. 

Yep. listening, laughing and nutrition are great weapons in the war against loneliness and depression.

I adhere to the first two, must confess to neglecting the last one. My body is a miracle of medical science, giggles. I am never ill, my family live forever and I haven’t had a day off work sick for 24 years, despite eating – and drinking! – badly for most of my life. I won’t give the secret away on here! But thanks for the advice anyway, Kimmy. I will certainly try ginseng, and I am trying to eat better the older I get. 

I work mainly outdoors, especially in the summer, so, yep, I’m getting that vit-D. Good advice on friends. I moved 200 miles (250km-ish) to the north of England 6 years ago and made a massive cull of my southern mates … down to 1 actually … when I realised they were all take-take-take and not give-give-give. What part of the world are you from, Kimmy?

You take care and have a joyous week,

Mark

Hi Mark how's your day been are you feeling any more positive 😊 I work for Royal mail inside staff. I got made redundant a couple of times over 20 years think that's why I have stayed with the same job for so long I can still remember the stress and pain of not knowing what bills to pay ask had a young woman primary school at that time. I also do pilates as well as meditation what helps me with stress take care

outdoor girl said:
Hi Mark how's your day been are you feeling any more positive 😊 I work for Royal mail inside staff. I got made redundant a couple of times over 20 years think that's why I have stayed with the same job for so long I can still remember the stress and pain of not knowing what bills to pay ask had a young woman primary school at that time. I also do pilates as well as meditation what helps me with stress take care

Hi there.
How ya doin’, Outdoor Girl? 
Yes, been lots more positive today, thank you. Having some sleep helped! 
Not long been in from work, which was very rewarding – finally getting through to a new client who lives in his own bubble, and just chillin’ in front of the cricket.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean about paying the bills and job security.
I was earning silly money as well as having the time of my life as a top journalist. Being over-qualified and unemployable for a couple of years made it all the more lovely when I started earning again. 
Now I’m on minimum wage, but, hey-ho, as long as there’s enough to pay the bills, keep the ancient car on the road and have a couple of beers on a Friday night, there’s not much to complain about materialistically.
I think the Royal Mail is lovely. I had two spells there as a Christmas casual, one in 2011 (Hemel Hempstead), the other in 2012 (Northampton) when I was down south. The atmosphere was lovely. Great humour and everyone mucking in together.
Glad the meditation is helping. As said, I’m afraid I’ve neglected that the last couple of years. But now that you’ve jogged my memory … as for pilates, I’m a bit exercise-averse these days after playing cricket to a good club standard.
My excuse was, as I used to say:
Home is where the heart is/
So why go to pilates?
Have fun!

Hello Mark
This thread is getting long! I had to search it for a reply..lol Anywho, yes, sometime, in a private message or chat, I will tell you my story.

I am currently preparing to go to college to learn about jewelry making and metalsmithing. I am also thinking about massage therapy. I will need to wait for the massage therapy until next year, but this year can be spent on jewelry making and electives. I expect to know more about what I will do as the year goes on.

I love creating things. I'm that person who picks up rocks and beach wood. I love feathers and natural things. These things find there way back to my home. I can see my making gemstone rings in settings with ancient symbols. Oh yeah, I love ancient symbols and cave art. I have all kinds of interests...lol

I think you live in such a beautiful country and so rich in history and traditions! To think that people still find treasures there is amazing! I love to travel, and one day, I would like to return to the UK. I want to visit some of the ancient sites that I missed and also walk Hadrian's wall. I love out of the way places. I'm not really into shopping or night scenes.

I would be honored to hear your story. So far, you have talked about helping others, being a good listener, etc. You seem to have a very generous and caring nature by your posts. I hope in the sharing of your story, you can find some healing for yourself. So remember today, as you help others and are there for them, that you are not alone. You matter. Be good to yourself.

Hello Naleena.

Hope your day’s been good?

I’ve not long got in from a rewarding day at work and am chilling on here and watching cricket (I won’t even TRY explaining this game to an American; a game where you can play for 5 days and still not get a winner!)

Yes, you’re right. This thread is getting too long. It’s like trying to find a needle in the proverbial haystack. Thank you for reminding me to be good to myself. There’s a good reason that I haven’t lately. But perhaps that’s something I can share in private.

You seem a true all-rounder and far more in tune with your spiritual self and Mother Earth than I have become in recent years, alas, and I wish you luck with your new ventures. Massage is fab. I have hot hands, can’t remember if I told you I cured my Dad’s back. I love being massaged once I can get past the guilt of taking not giving, but only once the masseur/masseuse can get past how ticklish I am and the helpless laughter (a la Norman Wisdom!)

Yes, Britain can be beautiful. You just need to know where to look. Britain, as with all the best things in life (literature, music, comedy, destinations) hides it true wonders under a bushel – and well off the beaten track. Not into shopping? Are you sure you’re a woman? My long-ago ex-wife single-handedly pushed Britain into debt and used to mistake me for a cashpoint on legs!

It’s going to be pretty hectic in the next few days, Naleena, but yes, I will give you a proper reply in private when I make the time to do justice to it. If you want to know anything, just ask. I’m an open book! I’ll also tell you a massive coincidence about Oregon that’s happened this week! Have a lovely day.

Mark

Hi, Mark
"If you want to know anything, just ask. I’m an open book!" Are you sure you're English?...lol
It's no trouble to wait on replying. When you have time you can write to me. I must be off to work soon. Yes, I would like to hear about the coincidence..lol

PS You are ticklish?...lol Have you tried deep tissue? I love deep tissue. It tends to be less tickling. :)

Latest posts

Back