Cuddles better than any pill

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When are people going to realise that a bedroom cuddle and a laugh are far more natural and effective health remedies than any pill or potion?

I split from my ex-, the love of my life, over 3 years ago. By this time she had developed a terrible illness which made penetrative sex impossible.

We remained soulmates and still had occasional ‘waist-up’ overnighters involving lots of kissing and cuddling, which really energised me from what was otherwise a cocoon of despair and loneliness.

This year even that oasis has gone. I need a cuddle like a vampire needs blood. Consequently, I have lost my natural lifeforce and feel dreadful and very lowly calibrated.

I enjoyed a wonderful sex life before becoming isolated, but can honestly say I miss the snuggling and the closeness and the giggles you get at bedtime even more than sex.

I have not had a day off work sick for 24 years, but feel – deprived of this basic human need – that day will soon come. I have hit rock bottom, but still try and find at least 3 things to laugh about each day.

And yet … and yet … and yet … if a man asked a woman back to his place for a cuddle, he would be laughed out of the pub (and vice-versa). Keep smiling, peeps! x

You had me at 'Keep Smiling!' - that's my favourite saying, courtesy of my dear ol' Dad (passed on in 2015). One I heartily believe in - laughter is everything, having and maintaining a sense of humour is insulation from true despair I think. :) And yes! Cuddles are good too.

Anyway, if you ever feel like chatting, feel free to send me a PM. I'm always happy to be a sounding board - sometimes it helps to just have someone to vent on. Cheers!

Pills and potions are for sale. Fortunately or unfortunately, real affection cannot be bought.

Sleeping pills work far better than listenning to her being tortured by military....I mean "singning".

Great post.
One wonders, considering the highly physical relationships of our primate ancestors, if human societies have gone too far in eliminating safe and respectful human touch and contact.  I am a naturally touchy person but I am regularly warned off by others.  I do respect personal boundaries, so I have grown more able in reading body language, but I do feel that far too many of us are really rather too reserved.
If you watch children and babies or even pets, they seem to naturally want contact and gain a great deal of attachment from touch, but in the adult world one must exercise great prudence and discretion, and in so doing perhaps we have lost something of our capacity to empathize with each other and even to reinforce our own sense of place within society.

Sparkles M. said:
Thank you!
Yes, I could have been more forensic with this post, Sparkles. I studied counselling to degree level and found how important cuddling is to well-being; could have quoted all the health benefits.
As mentioned, my lifeforce is on the floor since being deprived of this basic human right (see Maslow's hierarchy of needs).
And yet - as you so rightly say - conversely, intimacy is so welcomed with pets and babies!
Excuse the pun, but this is a real pet hate of mine at the moment. In the UK alone, there are 7m dogs, most of which are pampered and cuddled by female owners. Yet there are some great blokes out there crying out for a cuddle who go to bed alone every night aching and low of spirit.
I've even looked into the option of hiring a woman to cuddle me through the night and the prices started at £400, way beyond my minimum wage pursestrings.
What a chuffin' world we live in, eh?

Been 25 years since I've been snuggled up with anyone. When I start dating again, I may be overwhelmed by such simple things as hand-holding, or a kiss goodnight. Definitely going to need to spend a lot of time making up for lost cuddles before even thinking about sex! I'm pretty busy so I don't feel terribly deprived, but it's been on my mind and in my dreams for a quarter century.

Here's hoping we all manage a snuggle soon.

harper said:
Been 25 years since I've been snuggled up with anyone.  When I start dating again, I may be overwhelmed by such simple things as hand-holding, or a kiss goodnight.  Definitely going to need to spend a lot of time making up for lost cuddles before even thinking about sex!  I'm pretty busy so I don't feel terribly deprived, but it's been on my mind and in my dreams for a quarter century.

Here's hoping we all manage a snuggle soon.

Blimey! I thought three-and-a-half years without regular cuddles was bad enough. The trick for both of us will to try and appear overwhelmingly grateful like a dog.

I actually AM like a dog in a lot of ways. I'll be lucky if I don't knock over furniture and pee on the floor. Physical contact with the right lady is really the best. :O)

Latest posts

Back