Last New Year's Eve

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicko

Reaction score
It was 2018, everyone was excited for a New Year.. 
Everybody did the usual partying, etc. And there I was too. 17 years of age, at home. Took a trip to the store to get some grape juice.. listened to Dogs by Pink Floyd () on my way there. Why is my life like this? It has been going on for years. Lonely with no friends, always hoping something would change, even trying to but always failing. Why are people having fun and posting about it on Instagram while im home on my own. Life is unfair. I realize that I have no one in my life besides my mom. I wish I had friends, people that cared about me. I wish I can be like everyone else. I have nothing to live for in this world. I am empty, even my dreams. I dont want money because I work hard for it and I realize that it doesnt help me whatsoever. All I want is to be appreciated. Maybe have some friends too. Share some advice or a story of yours

Hey.
Hmm.. advice? Don’t think I’m too good with those but..
I can tell you what I did last New Year’s Eve. 
I had some friends over. Made dinner. Listened to the fireworks pop in the background. Talked, smiled and laughed.
Yet at the end of the night I was lying in bed crying, so scared that honeysuckle would hit the fan again. 

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles and you are right, being appreciated is such a basic human need. To feel some sort of belonging and value is very important.
I hope you find it. ❤️

MissBehave said:
Hey.
Hmm.. advice? Don’t think I’m too good with those but..
I can tell you what I did last New Year’s Eve. 
I had some friends over. Made dinner. Listened to the fireworks pop in the background. Talked, smiled and laughed.
Yet at the end of the night I was lying in bed crying, so scared that honeysuckle would hit the fan again. 

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles and you are right, being appreciated is such a basic human need. To feel some sort of belonging and value is very important.
I hope you find it. ❤️
New year's eve isnt the only problem, though. Its a low-light, the final understanding that I've been alone all my life, and nothing is going to change. It sounds unbelievable but its true. And im only 17! This is supposed to be the best years of my life. Evidently its the worst.

When I was 17 (and yes saying it like that makes me feel so ******* old) I kind of felt like everything was gonna be better if I just got older. Doesn’t always work like that though. 
But, being that young gives you the benefit of having so much time to try and make it better. 
So you feel you are missing friends and stuff? What about trying to join something you like doing, like a hobby group meetup thingy?
I’ve met some great ones on this forum so there is always a chance of finding it here too.
Anyways.
How you doing today?

Sicko said:
It was 2018, everyone was excited for a New Year.. 
Everybody did the usual partying, etc. And there I was too. 17 years of age, at home. Took a trip to the store to get some grape juice.. listened to Dogs by Pink Floyd () on my way there. Why is my life like this? It has been going on for years. Lonely with no friends, always hoping something would change, even trying to but always failing. Why are people having fun and posting about it on Instagram while im home on my own. Life is unfair. I realize that I have no one in my life besides my mom. I wish I had friends, people that cared about me. I wish I can be like everyone else. I have nothing to live for in this world. I am empty, even my dreams. I dont want money because I work hard for it and I realize that it doesnt help me whatsoever. All I want is to be appreciated. Maybe have some friends too. Share some advice or a story of yours

Ok Sicko i'm feeling alot of empathy for you because i was you at your age . The difference being i had a father that was no help to me atall because he was suffering from his own issues and my parents not getting on just made stuff worse..I had chances to make friends but being so qiuet and sorry but family issues that made me that way like you i saw no end in sight.So fukking lonely that i drank heavily  to dull the pain.

But things changed for me when i started work ,pushed myself to meet people at work through sport and work dos and the like where i discovered the ladies and from then on my life improved drastically.So don't give up mate it can change for you , but don't make the mistake i made of working a solitary job in your thirties , try to be working with people as much as you can.I'm willing you on ,good luck mate :)

Hi Sicko,

Firstly, great taste in music! I love the Floyd, although I have to say some of it isn't the most uplifting or optimistic. I've yet to hear of anyone curing depression by listening to Animals or The Wall!

What I'm struck by here is the fact that you're 17 and that you have all kinds of choices and experiences in front of you. I was in the grunge generation and I thought life was dark and moody and that any setbacks were the end of the world, that's the nature of teen angst.

My main bit of advice is not to pay too much attention to social media, people always put up "best bits" and none of the bad stuff and it gives a very un-balanced picture of other people's lives. They will post pics of themselves in a new shiny car or on a beach, they won't post pics of themselves crying themselves to sleep or any of life's other troubles.

My second bit of advice would be not to worry to much and put yourself out there a bit more so as to meet people and get into hobbies, studies etc. The social side of things starts snowballing once you get out there but you have to roll a smaller snowball and give it a push to get that going.

When I was 17, I wasn't allowed to hang out with friends or go anywhere for NYE. lol I spent my time watching the Twilight Zone marathons, and making sure my brother had dinner.

You have so many years ahead of you to do many fun things.... No worries, things will happen for you, I promise.

When I was 17 life wasn't anything special. Social life was nonexistent besides the internet.

Latest posts

Back