Parents setting up a date?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPanda

Reaction score
So my dad knows a guy from his work and that guy knows a guy who has a single daughter.  So it seems no one really knows each other on a personal level.  He's suggesting I meet this girl.  To me this seems way too weird to meet a cold complete stranger like this.

And I'm really not wanting to do this.  She's really cute. And I've sent my dad pics of myself to send to them.  Not sure of their reaction.  

But does anyone here have similar experience with parents setting up something?  Was it good, bad?  Did you find it to be meh?

The way I look at it is....how do you know it won't work out if you don't at least try. Could be your "soulmate" as far as you know. Worse case scenario, it doesn't work out and you hate each other. Or you could make a new friend or she could know someone perfect for you or whatever other scenario you can think of.

What's the harm in at least meeting this girl.

Is there any harm in meeting her, it isn't like they arraigned a marriage.

You have a better idea of what your dad is like than we do.

If it were me, I'd go. Worst case, it gives you a funny memory to enjoy with your family. Best case, she turns out to be really nice and you hit it off and have fun. You'd probably just be pounding away at the keyboard anyway, so... why not?

BTW, if you go and it works out okay, see if your dad works with anybody who has a daughter between 50-60 years old, will ya? :O)

Never had the experience but my first thought would be: "I need more information". You're right in saying this is a complete stranger to you and the path to this person is way too indirect (dad->guy->2nd guy->2nd guy's daughter) to trust the judgment down the line, if there was even anything beyond "She's cute".

This is different than having one of your friends introduce someone to you because there can be a clear vetting process and you'd also assume there are some implied commonalities within that social network.

Go for it Panda!
You never know. 
Yeah, I do get that it feels weird but what’s the harm in trying. 😉

b5acdd83bb12c464bf9d28e107a8fec6.jpg

I decided against. Too weird. I ve told him to relay that I’m willing to meet at lunch or something near my work. But im just not comfortable with this as we’re too far removed from a natural meeting.

This will give you a "what if...?" thing to torment yourself with from now on. How fun!

I turned down a situation like this before. I have a specific, 'mental diagnosis', and my mother had some friends who had a daughter with the same diagnosis. So, to me, it was insulting (my mother seriously lacks in knowledge about me and in my experience, having the same mental diagnosis as someone can be like having as much in common as having the same skin color as some one). However, looking back, I think I would have at least, "met", her. The worst that could have happened is we wouldn't like each other and never speak again. Even if we didn't fall in love and make 10,000 babies together, maybe we would have remained casual friends. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't meet her under the circumstances, because, my anger at my mother's lack of understanding of me, would have colored the whole endeavor red, and I may have even been a bit of a cold jerk to some one that was probably really sweet. Also, my mother is mega-christian and I believe her friend and probably her daughter as well were christian, so that was also a factor in the decision (I am not a christian).

But if you can go into it expecting nothing and a half open mind, I don't see too many reasons not to. Half the men (and ladies) on this forum could use a match maker. Some times all you need to have in common with the opposite sex is being the opposite sex, a lot of the time, the rest can take care of itself along the way (obviously not always; but, one would hope the last man and woman on earth could get along).

Make a date to go bowling, an arcade, or something light. Always good to have something to distract social nervousness. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back