Overthinking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

harper

I wanted to start a thread about overthinking because it either causes or seriously aggravates a lot of the social problems I read about on this forum.  Some people are aware they do it, but seem unable to kick that habit.  

I don't know how to give advice, and nothing I say would make any difference anyway.  I'm just calling attention to it.  It's a real problem.

I think your overthinking it :p

I like whatever people write on the forum whether it's over thought or not , it's all content to me to read when I'm bored at work ,but that's selfish of me.I think if you over analyse how peeps express themselves especially on a lonely forum it will stop certain people posting.Not me though cause I couldn't give a honeysuckle most of the time when I do write and over thought or not I just like to express how I feel.

I did a good bit of overthinking when I sent a risky email to my new boss about my working hours....and for a couple of hours after I dipped in and out of.....oh will he get mad and sack me.....Will he be grumpy and not like my little joke I slipped in....all good over thought stuff.When he replied he said that's fine mate we will sort your hours no worries.So I thought oh well next time just send it and I didn't think about it again.But then again I get through life winging it most of the time so maybe overthinking Doesn't concern me too much.I also contradict myself alot...but if I think about whether I've done it or not it'll just confuse me even more so...I think I've over thought this reply now.

Anyway it allows peeps like me to vent so that's good I think.I'm going off to think about whether this makes any sense now :D

I was doing that last night when I was in bed and couldn't get to sleep. I have to tell my boss that our student employee was 45 minutes late for work. The kid has been late a few times and rarely calls to let us know he is going to be late or if he can't come to work. He was late because he had drivers ed after school, he couldn't call because the business card I gave him with our phone number and the boss's cell number went through the laundry. He currently doesn't have a cell phone since his was stolen a month ago and after getting it back the person who stole it screwed it up on him He's foreign too so English isn't his first language so grabbing a phone book isn't as easy for him to do. It's why we've been easier on him than anyone else. He also needs Saturday off for his soccer tournament but hasn't been able to tell the boss since the boss left early yesterday.

So all I did last night while trying to get to sleep was keep thinking about all of this that the boss doesn't know yet. I know it won't be a big deal and the boss won't go nuts about it, unless something happens and he comes to work in a really bad mood. Other than that it won't be an issue. It was stressing me out though.

The only way I found to deal with overthinking is to think of something else, anything else, something to occupy my mind with that won't stress me out and calm my mind. It works as long as I don't let my mind go back to what is stressing me out and making me overthink things.

In my opinion, it's not a habit. At least one that should be considered an entirely bad one at first. It has it's benefits as well. And yes, I'm very much guilty of overthinking. Often. Then again, so is almost every single one of us here in some shape or form. It's sometimes unavoidable. How I view it as, at least the version I think you're implying here with the recent talks, it's a complex person with a past or passion (stemming from good or hurt)  that wants to stick it's head out to be shown and vent. Most of the posts here consist of people relating or pertaining to a topic that bothers them more on a personal level. So yeah, it's always going to be the social topics the most. The clear indicators are there as the same people post the same similar stances over and over again. We're all messed up here in our own way.

So, I say, if people don't want to get their hands dirty. Don't play in the dirt. Ya know. :p

Most of us don't come here to be told about the problems we already know we have or to be told to face the demons we already have trouble facing. That's why some ask for help, some don't. Some people known their demons well-enough and even use them as their guardian from further hurt. There's just tons of different factors as to why people may over think, lash out, etc. here.

And in those moments of someone's demons, hurt, anxieties, insecurities, or other things that would normally keep them quiet emerge, they choose to stand vigilant in that moment finally and say what's on their minds. That is what is happening and what causes the overthinking. Even if it causes in-differences or conflict, they have to vent it out. Because everyone is self-righteous in their own views or opinions here. It more times than not stems from a very ******* real problem that they are facing and is why I am not a fan of simple vague advice to a far more and complex and clearly misunderstood from my angle, situation.

The over-boldness of statements and absolutely certainty in one's intuition or experience that seemingly over-bears others, and doesn't show any waver either, is when I turn passionate and sometimes ugly especially knowing the counter of it. That's when I most certainly overthink and not shut the fresia up lol.

I will openly and honestly admit, I go even harder when it's familiar advice I've been on the receiving end countless ******* times and know what it's like to get such advice and be utterly destroyed because I was very much misunderstood and anything said to counter it is simply you not "getting over your feelings" or not wanting to change. The not wanting to change stance is actually extremely hypocritical in those debates lmao. but yeah, kudos to the people who don't feel enough anymore in order to conquer those buried feelings, but that's simply not everyone. Things of that nature, etc. How many people here are willing to admit and acknowledge that their posts also come from a place of strong passion and/or previous anguish?

I know I'm guilty of the same treatment to others and I am far from perfect. But I suppose we just have to remember that certain stances will always contradict one another and are sometimes unavoidable. But yes, I actually beat myself up on the regular basis when someone makes a convincing argument, but you won't ever get anywhere if you decide to be quiet because someone misunderstood you. There's always something positive to take away from nearly any conversation.

I just want to always promote the idea that it's very much more to it than what's said, shown, or known and in a more understanding and open minded way without me falling into that same **** familiar 'comforting' trap that people use in order to keep themselves from feeling guilty or more hurt when realizing they were wrong or did the opposite than they intended. Not a cynical one in order to preserve themselves. I hate being cynical.... It leads nowhere but being stuck in your own head and confirming your own beliefs further rather than growing. You convince yourself you know and have all that you need to know already. We sometimes wear it like a badge in order to boost our own confidence, mood, or self-importance. There's MANY different forms of needs and imperfections in all of us. To say otherwise, is lying to yourself. What works for you, works for you. Don't project entirely too much, leave some room for understanding.

I want to say here, I'm sorry if what I say or do affects people in a negative way. As everyone else here, I'm also too just trying to help the only way I know how. As I'm sure most people here feel the same. They either want to help, be helped, found, understood, and/or the biggest one of all; accepted. So, in that fact alone I think we should all respect one another in our own ways and maybe we'll all find out things about each other besides our views. Things we can admire and not only know each other's differences first.

Besides, we'll only grow bouncing our views off one of another. But it's up to the reader if they want to absorb them or not. Our advice and views will affect different people in different ways.

So yeah, realistically and rationally speaking; asking people here to not overthink is asking for our primary demographic to simply change on a dime. If that were true or even possible already, they wouldn't even be here in the first place. No?

We're all here trying to help to the best of our abilities and our perspectives and subjective experiences. Paired with our heavy baggage that it seems hardly any of us let go of whether we think we have or not.

I agree with Just Games. I’m one of those that can get insecure about how I express myself and what I say. I think it’s my engraved feeling of being stupid that can make it very hard for me to say what I feel, especially if it’s a subject that’s more than cute bunnies and pink fluff. I do get that being smart comes in various shapes and forms but it’s still something that lingers with me. It’s important to let someone express themselves the way they want to, without making it into something that has to be analyzed. If you feel the need to help someone, and that’s a great thing, then reach out to people that ask for it. ❤️

Hmm.. let’s seeeeee 🤔
When I was taking my drivers license some years back I had an extreme problem with overthinking. I would lie in bed and think about all the stuff that I had learned, what I needed to learn and was nervous for the tests. For me it goes like a wheel. Different thoughts spin in a circle in my mind. It tends to be impossible to solve them and as soon as I try to tackle one subject, another on fills my mind. 
Overthinking isn’t generally something that a big problem for me but it’s there sometimes.. or around very few specific subjects.

Forgive me. I approached this with actual overthinking and being thorough that I perhaps missed the point of this topic, as I'm seeing the types of replies being left.

I potentially overthink many things, constantly. I only act off certain ones though. The rest are just left in the background running. The overthinking is what causes my anxiety as well. I'll evaluate 20 possibilities of something and then find myself focusing more on the bad outcomes, etc. in order to prepare myself for them. I'll also try to emulate a social conversation in my head in order to avoid being seen wrongly or embarrassment. Things of that nature. I don't trust myself enough to be dynamic lmao.

That's just how my brain has functioned as long as I can remember. I have this deep foresight always running ahead of me. Even in diapers. I was told I was extremely hesitant and stubborn to even learn how to walk at first. I suppose it stems from not wanting to draw attention or embarrassment. Not until it's conquered enough or completley dealt with does it go away. I do however see myself doing it significantly less in relaxed or very understanding environments. Or with a group of people who know me already. So, I suppose it's mostly social.

I have brutal social  anxiety so I overthink all the time. Anxiety and overthinking are evil partners. lol It's exhausting.
giphy.gif

for every1 that overthinks!

I really think this is a good subject. If you're not careful you can end up overthinking everything to pieces. Here are a few things that work for me and get me more focused.

1. Simple breathing exercise. Find somewhere calm and safe. Turn off all electronics (except a light if needed). Sit or lie down. Breathe slowly through the nose, hold when you have reached as much as you can with your lungs, and release slowly through your lips. Do this as slowly as you're comfortable, and continue to slow down. This will bring you to a stage of relaxation. As you enter this, feel as much of your thoughts and body as possible, and make no effort to interact with them. Spend a minimum of 10 minutes on this, concentrating on your breathing, using incense/aromatics wherein needed.

This doesn't address the habit directly, because instead of dealing with your bad concentration habit, you'll lose all concentration and you will also feel very sleepy. But it's good if your brain has run itself ragged and needs a reset. An important note is turning off your mobile phone and computer completely.

2. Walking or jogging. Either wherever you live or in a gym. Spend a minimum of 30 minutes doing light exercise. Concentrate on your body, your limbs, your breathing, what you see and hear. Appreciate the overthinking in your head, don't interact with it, pay attention to your surroundings. These will generate thoughts, again don't interact with them.

Of course if you live in a city you're bound to come across disruption and traffic, so it's not so relaxing. Even in a rural area though, you might need boots, the terrain is more difficult, so walking requires more thought. The key here is to simply observe your body and surroundings, and to not beat yourself up if you get embroiled in more thinking.

3. Maintenance thinking. This is something completely invented by myself for myself, so apologies if it does not work for you. When I'm tangled in a knot, I relate to something called my SEE, my three pillars of maintenance, which is something I've agreed as fundamental to my well-being and most deserving of thinking. It stands for Sleep, Eating, Exercise. They're aligned in a pyramid structure similar to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, as each come before each other.

So I'll question myself: did I get enough sleep last night? Does my schedule allow for enough sleep tonight? Do I need to make improvements? Once that's dealt with, I'll move on to my diet. Will I eat enough fruit & vegetables today? Have I tried to abstain from fried foods? Am I in the mood to try something new? And then, exercise. Have I gone to the gym 3 times this week? Have I improved with my weights? etc. as required. Once I've cleared this my mind feels clearer, because I've faced things which are essential to me.

Sci-Fi said:
The only way I found to deal with overthinking is to think of something else, anything else, something to occupy my mind with that won't stress me out and calm my mind. It works as long as I don't let my mind go back to what is stressing me out and making me overthink things.

This works for me too. Sometimes it is harder than usual but I find the best distraction for me is really immersing myself in watching shows or movies or just going out with my bestie..... which doesn't happen a lot anymore now that she's married, but, there's that option when it can happen.

Overthinking can be the death of me once upon a time, but I am better at catching myself now when I'm going down that path.

Holding my tongue....

Anyway. I tend to overthink cause when I underthink, stuff goes wrong, I do things wrong or forget things or don't notice things or think them through, and I don't like feeling like maybe I'm dumb. Cause what little smarts I have is all I have, and without it I have nothing, no assets, no +1's in any category.

But, I am trying to get rid of it in some ways. One thing I have done a lot in the past is catastrophize, which means to project the worst possible outcome of a situation, and then believe that that is exactly what is happening or going to happen. It's really screwed me over a lot, for example, a major reason why I underperformed in college and got derailed career-wise is that I believed, no joke, that civilization was going to end soon so it didn't matter anyway, and everything I'd been raised to believe was a lie. If I just hadn't overthought about one random blog post I found online, who knows, maybe the course of my whole life since then would have been different. Bad things will happen, unfortunately. But catastrophizing only wastes what could have been the good times, on things that may or may not even happen. Might as well enjoy the happy times while they last.

TheSkaFish said:
Holding my tongue....

Anyway.  I tend to overthink cause when I underthink, stuff goes wrong, I do things wrong or forget things or don't notice things or think them through, and I don't like feeling like maybe I'm dumb.  Cause what little smarts I have is all I have, and without it I have nothing, no assets, no +1's in any category.  

Do you overthink social situations and suffer because of it?  That was sorta what I had in mind here, though any interpretation is, of course, fine.

It seems like overthinkers tend to overestimate  repercussions of gaffes, etc that typically go unnoticed.

harper said:
TheSkaFish said:
Holding my tongue....

Anyway.  I tend to overthink cause when I underthink, stuff goes wrong, I do things wrong or forget things or don't notice things or think them through, and I don't like feeling like maybe I'm dumb.  Cause what little smarts I have is all I have, and without it I have nothing, no assets, no +1's in any category.  

Do you overthink social situations and suffer because of it?  That was sorta what I had in mind here, though any interpretation is, of course, fine.

It seems like overthinkers tend to overestimate  repercussions of gaffes, etc that typically go unnoticed.

I was thinking just doing things wrong, especially when the attention is on you.  But yeah, social situations are definitely a part of that.

The thing is, some gaffes really are that bad, and do have strong, lasting repercussions that take a lot to disprove if it's possible at all.  But you're also right, some do go unnoticed and linger more in our memory than they do in anyone else's.  

I think what helps is to prepare ahead of time by understanding the basics of how things work, like if you're anticipating an interaction ahead of time - like a party or presentation.  It helps to know who's there and what they're about, what kind of topics they like, have some current topics of your own ready, that kind of stuff.  And knowing what the major gaffes are, so you can just avoid them ahead of time.

Can you give some examples of the worst sort of gaffes? The ones that have lasting repercussions?

Can you give some examples of the worst sort of gaffes? The ones that have lasting repercussions?

I think this sounds like I'm grilling you-- I'm honestly not. I'm just wondering what the reality of this kind of overthought actually is. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I'm curious because it seems contrary to the way society actually behaves.

Really nice question for me.
Cause I have a lot of sites like blogs and E-commerce and can say that Soxial media plays a great role in it.
Cause There are so many possible customers here and u can increase them in money or traffic.
I read a nice article about*link removed* ,and it really helps me so much in social media area.So just try.

harper said:

I think this sounds like I'm grilling you-- I'm honestly not. I'm just wondering what the reality of this kind of overthought actually is. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I'm curious because it seems contrary to the way society actually behaves.

No problem. I don't feel grilled at all.

As far as the gaffes, what I've learned is that the worst ones are probably accidentally oversharing about problems and bringing the vibe down. Basically anything to show too much weakness is a gaffe that should be avoided. I used to think that people would respect the honesty, appreciate a breath of fresh air from the sea of cocky showoff dudes, and even relate, but it seems like that's not the case.

Another big gaffe I'd say is not being interesting enough, running out of conversation material too early. I try to remedy this by knowing my audience and trying to have some topics prepared, or by flipping things and asking the person questions instead of just me talking, to take the pressure off me.

Anyway just my thoughts.

TheSkaFish said:
As far as the gaffes, what I've learned is that the worst ones are probably accidentally oversharing about problems and bringing the vibe down.  Basically anything to show too much weakness is a gaffe that should be avoided.  I used to think that people would respect the honesty, appreciate a breath of fresh air from the sea of cocky showoff dudes, and even relate, but it seems like that's not the case.

Another big gaffe I'd say is not being interesting enough, running out of conversation material too early.  I try to remedy this by knowing my audience and trying to have some topics prepared, or by flipping things and asking the person questions instead of just me talking, to take the pressure off me.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Yeah, I never considered the 'oversharing' thing.  That actually does require some attention.  Being well into middle age, people assume I'm a bit eccentric anyway, so it's no problem.  But in my youth, in the field I was in, I definitely had to present myself properly and inspire confidence.

I always had the idea that people actually want you to succeed in social encounters.  They'll fill in the gaps and help guide the conversation if you start to wind down a bit.  It's a two-way street, so you don't have to be the one who keeps the ball rolling.  Nothing wrong with rubbing your eyes and saying "What a long day it's been!"  Everyone can relate to that.

Latest posts

Back