Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lying to Ourselves and/or Others
(09-11-2019, 10:48 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 09:34 AM)harper Wrote: 1.  Imagine the future you want.

I don't really agree with this because it can cause similar problems.  I think a vague future is too big, which would make it too daunting.  I believe it's better to start with more short term goals.  Small ones that aren't so complex to finish.  That will help build confidence by showing them they can accomplish what they set out to do.

A long-term goal is a series of short-term goals in succession.
(09-11-2019, 08:59 AM)TheSkaFish Wrote: I can't seem to shake this idea in my head that I'm probably fucked, probably stuck at a low level in life in all areas (finances, ability, romantic relationships, etc.) and it doesn't really matter what I do because I'm probably just not good enough, and therefore no idea, no amount of work, no nothing that i come up with or can do will be good enough.  I'm probably too inherently, fundamentally, naturally conventional, ordinary, average, mediocre.  I just wasn't born with the right genetics, or whatever sauce makes a person special, and able to break into a good level in life.  

I don't know if this is a lie or not.

Advice wasn't really the point of the thread, so I'm sorry in advance. But to be honest, I don't think any of us can answer that for you. I tend to say a lot of mean stuff to myself too, usually when I'm upset about something. I rationalize what a loser I am because of anything that is irritating me at the moment. I'm not smart enough. I'm not thin enough. My hair is the wrong texture/color/length... Just some examples...

I think in my case it is a lie, those body image things are just excuses. Like I'm not going to suddenly be all zen just because I reached my goal weight, right? lol.

I do think it's good that you're questioning it. I think we all could benefit from questioning our beliefs from time to time. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trying to make freinds on facebook by lying to people using model to make image unlucky in life 80 12,589 07-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Last Post: VanillaCreme