Trying to understand smokers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShellShock

Reaction score
I understand why one to smoke a cigarette or two to get a high. Or those who smoke mainly socially.

But I don't understand addicts, what I define as addict is someone who just has to smoke way too much. There are people to claim to smoke an entire pack a day, 
they are so desensitized it's not that they get a buzz anymore.
Does it make one feel cool, honestly? Is it a way to cope with daily life to be constantly on smoke, hands busy?
How is it to smoke so much? WHY to smoke soo much?
How do non smokers around you typically react?

Not being judgmental, just curious. And you definitely can elaborate about your smoking habits, tell whatever you want about them but also answer my questions.

Why does it matter what other people do? Unless people are forcing you to smoke or inhale second hand smoke, I don't understand why you have to understand anything. I know people who smoke more than a pack a day. I knew a person who used to smoke four packs a day.

As for why I smoke. Well, that's my business and I'm not about to share anything with you. It's likely just BASIC anyway. lol

I think those kind of things are often being used to release stress or to self-medicate.
Not saying everyone does that though.

TheRealCallie said:
Why does it matter what other people do?  Unless people are forcing you to smoke or inhale second hand smoke, I don't understand why you have to understand anything.  I know people who smoke more than a pack a day.  I knew a person who used to smoke four packs a day.  

As for why I smoke. Well, that's my business and I'm not about to share anything with you.  It's likely just BASIC anyway.  lol
Do not like my threads? why do you even write in them, mrs Callie?
I see your post is a predecessor of our argument on another of my topics because I dared to pass criticism on you because you was rude. How dare I.

I don't understand why you have to understand anything.
Your comment was funny, especially this part. 

As for why I smoke. Well, that's my business and I'm not about to share anything with you. 
Now I know you smoke. But why do you bother to write on a topic you don't like because somebody you don't like wants to know stuff about smokers?
You claim it's none of my business but then you share with me you do smoke.. huh?

MissBehave said:
I think those kind of things are often being used to release stress or to self-medicate.
Not saying everyone does that though.

Yes, but once you smoke a lot you don't get the buzz.. how does that release stress? 

Some heavy smoker once told me it's just to keep hands busy. Maybe it's like a fidget spinner but for adults?

ShellShock said:
I understand why one to smoke a cigarette or two to get a high. Or those who smoke mainly socially.

But I don't understand addicts, what I define as addict is someone who just has to smoke way too much. There are people to claim to smoke an entire pack a day, 
they are so desensitized it's not that they get a buzz anymore.
Does it make one feel cool, honestly? Is it a way to cope with daily life to be constantly on smoke, hands busy?
How is it to smoke so much? WHY to smoke soo much?
How do non smokers around you typically react?

Not being judgmental, just curious. And you definitely can elaborate about your smoking habits, tell whatever you want about them but also answer my questions.

You understand nicotine is highly addictive?  Not everyone can just up and quit cold turkey.  And in some cases that could be dangerous.  Gotta wean off of it.  This information is easily looked up.  Not only that in the US there was a giant class action lawsuit proving this all out.
- Do they feel cool?  I don't think that's the case these days.  I think it's mostly used as a stress reliever from becoming addicted when younger.  So maybe when they were younger that was seen as "cool".  I don't know that seems like a juvenile notion.  I don't think most adults view it that way.
- How and Why?  Because Nicotine is a highly addictive substance.

- As for the self righteous non-smokers around smokers.  That's less of an issue these days because most states in the US has nearly banned it in most places.  And shamed everyone out of it.  I personally couldn't care less and feel the behavior control policy of our government and by extension the public that elected them has over reached and is counter to personal freedom.  I personally don't care as I grew up during a time this was commonplace and I would be hypocritical being that I occasionally enjoy a cigar every now and then.

PandaSwag said:
- Do they feel cool?  I don't think that's the case these days.  I think it's mostly used as a stress reliever from becoming addicted when younger.  So maybe when they were younger that was seen as "cool".  I don't know that seems like a juvenile notion.  I don't think most adults view it that way.

Yes, they use ecigs now to look "cool."  I know people who have admitted that.  They think it's oh so much safer than cigarettes, yet the news seems to suggest otherwise lately. 
Personally, I would worry more about other honeysuckle, such as hard drugs, as opposed to cigarettes.

Smoking was quick and disposable, cigs were everywhere.

Vaping just looks like they're trying too hard. Just like the continuous stream of duckface selfies with the inverted peace sign. Or the weird piercings. I know every generation has its own peculiarities, but these seem almost like desperation. T-shirt and jeans were just the right amount of effort for me as a kid. :O)

PandaSwag said:
You understand nicotine is highly addictive?  Not everyone can just up and quit cold turkey.  And in some cases that could be dangerous.  Gotta wean off of it.  This information is easily looked up.  Not only that in the US there was a giant class action lawsuit proving this all out.

- As for the self righteous non-smokers around smokers.  That's less of an issue these days because most states in the US has nearly banned it in most places.  And shamed everyone out of it.  I personally couldn't care less and feel the behavior control policy of our government and by extension the public that elected them has over reached and is counter to personal freedom.  I personally don't care as I grew up during a time this was commonplace and I would be hypocritical being that I occasionally enjoy a cigar every now and then.

I understand nicotine is addictive, I do not understand how it is being addicted to nicotine though. 
I don't want to know it on myself, but I wanna understand from aside. And I want to understand what do people who are heavy smokers think
to themselves on smoking so much.
Since it's a substance I bet the brain goes crazy without these stuff once it's hooked. I wonder what happens, I mean when a person tries to quit
after years in a row of heavy smoking, I don't talk about months. 

Where I live smoking is still considered cool btw. Maybe that's why I wonder because I often stumble on them.

harper said:
Smoking was quick and disposable, cigs were everywhere.  

Vaping just looks like they're trying too hard.  Just like the continuous stream of duckface selfies with the inverted peace sign.  Or the weird piercings.  I know every generation has its own peculiarities, but these seem almost like desperation.  T-shirt and jeans were just the right amount of effort for me as a kid.   :O)

I think e-cigs here are still considered for nerds. 
Anyway I don't see anything special about vape pans. I have one.. besides it being vapor it didn't feel much different to me. 
Now the Instagram cancer is something else...

ShellShock said:
PandaSwag said:

I understand nicotine is addictive, I do not understand how it is being addicted to nicotine though. 
I don't want to know it on myself, but I wanna understand from aside. And I want to understand what do people who are heavy smokers think
to themselves on smoking so much.
Since it's a substance I bet the brain goes crazy without these stuff once it's hooked. I wonder what happens, I mean when a person tries to quit
after years in a row of heavy smoking, I don't talk about months. 

Where I live smoking is still considered cool btw. Maybe that's why I wonder because I often stumble on them.

Oh you want to know what it feels like to be addicted.  Sorry I misunderstood you.  That I cannot speak to .  I have never been addicted to nicotine.  I've only read it as being very uncomfortable.

Yeah here in the US smoking cigarettes has been largely shunned and shamed out of being "cool".  Vaping as Callie said is probably the new thing.  Personally I think it looks stupid, but whatever.  Cigars sadly is lumped in, but that's a different class of enjoyment(yes I'm biased).  But since good cigars are rather expensive this is largely enjoyed by adults.  Hard to purchase a few cigars on a teens min wages or less.

Work in a DMV for 30+ years. If that doesn't make you understand smoking, I don't know what will:

[youtube]G2K21UvwBpk[/youtube]

"I am in flavor country...it's a big country."

[youtube]f2UzbFYi2Go[/youtube]

I smoke cigarettes, I don't get high from them....never have. I am addicted to the nicotine... People don't smoke cigarettes to get a buzz.

I smoke because it is incredibly cool and I look amazing while smoking.....

Danielle said:
I smoke cigarettes, I don't get high from them....never have. I am addicted to the nicotine...  People don't smoke cigarettes to get a buzz.

Honey, you look amazing no matter what you are doing <3

I used to get a little lightheaded from smoking just one cigarette, but maybe that's why it never really "stuck" as a habit, I hated that feeling. I still have one occasionally.

If you want to know what people feel like when they quit... Google nicotine withdrawal.

kaetic said:
I used to get a little lightheaded from smoking just one cigarette.

Yeah, if you smoke too fast or if you haven't had one in a while it will make you lightheaded.  That happens to me too.  But I wouldn't say that's a buzz.

You get high from marijuana, not cigarettes. (Not directed towards you, kaetic)

I smoked for 20 years, smoked a pack a day on average, so 20 cigarettes. I quit smoking 7 years ago.

I first got hooked as a 20-year old - my friends all smoked, my parents smoked and I thought it was a cool thing to do. I remember the first one I ever smoked and it made me so dizzy and sick. Youthful stupidity made me continue the habit.

I quit cold turkey (my husband too - we both quit at the same time) as a 40-year old. My biggest motivator to quit was my then 3-year old son. Another huge motivator was a woman called Barb Tarbox. She was a lifelong smoker and died of lung and brain cancer in her 40’s. Towards the end of her life, she became an activist for non-smoking - she toured schools and gave lectures about smoking, how she got hooked and the consequences of it. In 2010, the Canadian government toughened the anti-smoking images that appeared on packs of cigarettes and two of the images featured Barb Tarbox in her last days. When I was trying to quit, I’d look at those pictures whenever I had a craving . . . those images will forever be seared into my brain. If you’re interested, here’s a link to her story: https://globalnews.ca/news/569896/a...qxGqECg.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.ca/

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I’ve done - nicotine is more addictive than heroin, and it took me 5 tries over the years before I was finally able to do it successfully. It’s been over 7 years for me smoke-free and I am still **** proud of myself for quitting! My advice: don’t EVER start smoking.

TheRealCallie said:
Danielle said:
I smoke cigarettes, I don't get high from them....never have. I am addicted to the nicotine...  People don't smoke cigarettes to get a buzz.

Honey, you look amazing no matter what you are doing <3

Thank you Callie   ::)   Right back at ya!  <3

TheSkaFish said:
^ you may look cool while smoking, but not this cool:

[youtube]SRoTzAOVZW8[/youtube]

LIFE!  
IS!
CHAIN!
SMOKING!

LOL

ringwood said:
I smoked for 20 years, smoked a pack a day on average, so 20 cigarettes. I quit smoking 7 years ago.

I first got hooked as a 20-year old - my friends all smoked, my parents smoked and I thought it was a cool thing to do. I remember the first one I ever smoked and it made me so dizzy and sick. Youthful stupidity made me continue the habit.

I quit cold turkey (my husband too - we both quit at the same time) as a 40-year old. My biggest motivator to quit was my then 3-year old son. Another huge motivator was a woman called Barb Tarbox. She was a lifelong smoker and died of lung and brain cancer in her 40’s. Towards the end of her life, she became an activist for non-smoking - she toured schools and gave lectures about smoking, how she got hooked and the consequences of it. In 2010, the Canadian government toughened the anti-smoking images that appeared on packs of cigarettes and two of the images featured Barb Tarbox in her last days. When I was trying to quit, I’d look at those pictures whenever I had a craving . . . those images will forever be seared into my brain. If you’re interested, here’s a link to her story: https://globalnews.ca/news/569896/a...qxGqECg.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.ca/

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I’ve done - nicotine is more addictive than heroin, and it took me 5 tries over the years before I was finally able to do it successfully. It’s been over 7 years for me smoke-free and I am still **** proud of myself for quitting! My advice: don’t EVER start smoking.

Thank you for sharing your story.

TheSkaFish said:
ShellShock said:

Glad you enjoyed that :) I tried.
The entire era before outrage about smoking cracks me up;
"Smoking is good, smoking is cool, smoking makes you happy" 

blow-in-her-face-she-will-follow-you-anywhere-rianna-stackhouse.jpg

Latest posts

Back