Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slasher/violent video games
If you play them alot do you think they will effect you in the future in a bad way.I know alot are community games but I assume some are played single player .

Also if  not a regular player or have never played them what is your opinion ?

My brother in law has a lodger who's somewhat solitary that plays them till three in the morning sometimes.He being old school thinks they will mess with his brain , just wondered if he's right or not.
I think that can be very individual but as a general thing, I don’t think it leads to more actual physical violence. I recently read an article about it. 
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ggression/
[Image: tenor.gif]
(09-21-2019, 05:42 PM)MissBehave Wrote: I think that can be very individual but as a general thing, I don’t think it leads to more actual physical violence. I recently read an article about it. 
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ggression/

Thanks will read after work.I wasn't paying much attention cause last game I played was desert strike lol .But something about being chased by a serial killer , that can't be good for you before you go to sleep.
I think age appropriate games are the way to go. Giving a 9 year old access to games that has a lot of  violence and gore, yeah that’s a bad idea. Also having a chat with that kid about what real life consequences are by hurting someone and the difference with doing it in a game is something I would do. 
Some kids are more mature and others not so much. I think this is where the parenting comes in. 
Seems to me that a lot let kids have access to everything in the gaming area because they don’t know what’s actually in those games.
[Image: tenor.gif]
It can depend on all sorts of factors, both in terms of the game and the players.

To cut to the point, I think that in general violence and portrayals of violence in games, on TV etc have the potential to cause serious harm. There have been famous cases of copycat crimes (including murder) where the perpetrators got their inspiration from a film, a book, TV etc. Were these people predisposed to such influences?? Who knows, but my analogy would be that you get the best fruit by using the best fertiliser and that violent/hateful/negative stuff doesn't lead to a good harvest.

As a further point about gaming communities, again it varies very much. In the past I have used community platforms like Steam etc but I was always alarmed by the number of people who played games (violent and otherwise) using it as a platform for hate and extreme nationalism etc.

Bottom line, it may be harmless, but do be wary.
I find it a bit odd your brother cares about a renter playing video games. Sounds like your brother might need a hobby to occupy his time. I apologize for not addressing the question, but it reads like there has already been decent answers. I don't believe violent video games affect healthy adults. Look at TV, movies, and music. Filled with violence. Maybe that's what causes people to go off. Good question though!
(09-24-2019, 06:49 AM)RovoR Wrote: I find it a bit odd your brother cares about a renter playing video games. Sounds like your brother might need a hobby to occupy his time. I apologize for not addressing the question, but it reads like there has already been decent answers. I don't believe violent video games affect healthy adults. Look at TV, movies, and music. Filled with violence. Maybe that's what causes people to go off. Good question though!

Ha ha trust me he has plenty of hobbies and friends to play them with.He loves his scrabble /board game night with his best mate which he's played since I've known him every week , has these toy soldiers he's been painting  and has been a hobbyist with them for thirty years.He goes to the cinema with another mate ,he's like a single married man if you get me with kids as well.He's always warned me about my kids being on games , but he's never played them totally old school he has no mobile phone.

He does know the lodger fairly well has worked with him sometimes.I think he just doesn't think there healthy , that you should be out and about.He did used to play road rash with me occasionally long time ago but that's it.

He gets me wound up cause I know all my kids have played them late into the night but I make sure there off by eleven but I'm not great at knowing what they are playing especially my youngest whose solitary too , but I get him out alot now which counteracts this and his studies take alot of time in the evening thank God.

I can see your point violent films and the like having a more dangerous effect which is more likely.....

Road rash the original game on megadrive in the late eighties/nineties not today's version.
I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to people finding fault in others and not looking inward. So I apologize if I came across as hostile.

The old school Road Rash was an awesome game! I played the crap out of that game.
(09-24-2019, 04:35 PM)RovoR Wrote: I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to people finding fault in others and not looking inward. So I apologize if I came across as hostile.

The old school Road Rash was an awesome game! I played the crap out of that game.

Didn't see any hostility at all RovoR , no worries mate SmileYeah loved that game too.
I abhor physical violence be it fiction or Real Life because its shadow can stay in the person's psych.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In one picture(or video), post your current mood. mintymint 3,294 408,614 7 hours ago
Last Post: ahsatan
  Short video on the philosophy of Plato Digitales 1 2,397 02-22-2016, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Wayfarer
  Made a song and music video for people with low self esteem ChicagoStyles 4 4,439 11-03-2015, 05:45 AM
Last Post: ChicagoStyles
  Card Games katori 0 1,318 08-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Last Post: katori
  Post a Picture, GIF, or Video of Funny Epic Fails Bones 9 10,292 06-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Magalie
Exclamation Cute Cat Video Colette 7 4,850 02-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: johnny196775Again
  a very touching video...being in the dark place simhthmss 0 1,928 01-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Last Post: simhthmss
  one of the most beatiful songs/video simhthmss 1 2,208 11-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Last Post: DVEUS
  Power of Life (video) onlysoul 1 2,430 09-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Last Post: ladyforsaken
  cat playing video paresh3d 0 1,839 07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Last Post: paresh3d