Slasher/violent video games

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Just Games

If you play them alot do you think they will effect you in the future in a bad way.I know alot are community games but I assume some are played single player .

Also if  not a regular player or have never played them what is your opinion ?

My brother in law has a lodger who's somewhat solitary that plays them till three in the morning sometimes.He being old school thinks they will mess with his brain , just wondered if he's right or not.

I think age appropriate games are the way to go. Giving a 9 year old access to games that has a lot of  violence and gore, yeah that’s a bad idea. Also having a chat with that kid about what real life consequences are by hurting someone and the difference with doing it in a game is something I would do. 
Some kids are more mature and others not so much. I think this is where the parenting comes in. 
Seems to me that a lot let kids have access to everything in the gaming area because they don’t know what’s actually in those games.

It can depend on all sorts of factors, both in terms of the game and the players.

To cut to the point, I think that in general violence and portrayals of violence in games, on TV etc have the potential to cause serious harm. There have been famous cases of copycat crimes (including murder) where the perpetrators got their inspiration from a film, a book, TV etc. Were these people predisposed to such influences?? Who knows, but my analogy would be that you get the best fruit by using the best fertiliser and that violent/hateful/negative stuff doesn't lead to a good harvest.

As a further point about gaming communities, again it varies very much. In the past I have used community platforms like Steam etc but I was always alarmed by the number of people who played games (violent and otherwise) using it as a platform for hate and extreme nationalism etc.

Bottom line, it may be harmless, but do be wary.

I find it a bit odd your brother cares about a renter playing video games. Sounds like your brother might need a hobby to occupy his time. I apologize for not addressing the question, but it reads like there has already been decent answers. I don't believe violent video games affect healthy adults. Look at TV, movies, and music. Filled with violence. Maybe that's what causes people to go off. Good question though!

RovoR said:
I find it a bit odd your brother cares about a renter playing video games. Sounds like your brother might need a hobby to occupy his time. I apologize for not addressing the question, but it reads like there has already been decent answers. I don't believe violent video games affect healthy adults. Look at TV, movies, and music. Filled with violence. Maybe that's what causes people to go off. Good question though!

Ha ha trust me he has plenty of hobbies and friends to play them with.He loves his scrabble /board game night with his best mate which he's played since I've known him every week , has these toy soldiers he's been painting  and has been a hobbyist with them for thirty years.He goes to the cinema with another mate ,he's like a single married man if you get me with kids as well.He's always warned me about my kids being on games , but he's never played them totally old school he has no mobile phone.

He does know the lodger fairly well has worked with him sometimes.I think he just doesn't think there healthy , that you should be out and about.He did used to play road rash with me occasionally long time ago but that's it.

He gets me wound up cause I know all my kids have played them late into the night but I make sure there off by eleven but I'm not great at knowing what they are playing especially my youngest whose solitary too , but I get him out alot now which counteracts this and his studies take alot of time in the evening thank God.

I can see your point violent films and the like having a more dangerous effect which is more likely.....

Road rash the original game on megadrive in the late eighties/nineties not today's version.

I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to people finding fault in others and not looking inward. So I apologize if I came across as hostile.

The old school Road Rash was an awesome game! I played the crap out of that game.

RovoR said:
I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to people finding fault in others and not looking inward. So I apologize if I came across as hostile.

The old school Road Rash was an awesome game! I played the crap out of that game.

Didn't see any hostility at all RovoR , no worries mate :)Yeah loved that game too.

I abhor physical violence be it fiction or Real Life because its shadow can stay in the person's psych.

A game is just a game. The same argument can be put forward (and has been) about music, books, poetry and all forms of entertainment or pursuit. If a game that's violent makes you want to commit violence, don't play it. In the same way Terminator 2 shouldnt make you want to blow the kneecaps off of cops with a 9mm...
Unless his lodger starts threatening him in various ways, if he's paying his rent and has a job, I don't see how it's really any of your brother's business.

giphy.gif

I agree with Richard 👍🏻

Richard_39 said:
A game is just a game. The same argument can be put forward (and has been) about music, books, poetry and all forms of entertainment or pursuit. If a game that's violent makes you want to commit violence, don't play it. In the same way Terminator 2 shouldnt make you want to blow the kneecaps off of cops with a 9mm...
Unless his lodger starts threatening him in various ways, if he's paying his rent and has a job, I don't see how it's really any of your brother's business.

Yeah, it bugs me when people want to put the blame on things like video games, movies, tv, etc. People just want to find things to excuse others behaviour instead of putting the onus on where it lies, with the person and or the people who raised them. I was taught that that honeysuckle is all fake and that you can't play life like a video game or cartoon, there are consequences to those actions and people can/will get hurt. If the lines between the real world and make believe start to get blurred then you should stop and maybe those things aren't for you.

Sci-Fi said:
Richard_39 said:

Yeah, it bugs me when people want to put the blame on things like video games, movies, tv, etc.  People just want to find things to excuse others behaviour instead of putting the onus on where it lies, with the person and or the people who raised them.  I was taught that that honeysuckle is all fake and that you can't play life like a video game or cartoon, there are consequences to those actions and people can/will get hurt.  If the lines between the real world and make believe start to get blurred then you should stop and maybe those things aren't for you.

Exactly. I agree. They are simply pleasantries and people like to come up with excuses for their behavior or shift blame. It works both ways though, it also what teaches people right and wrong. If a child has never seen such things how do you think they'll react to seeing it for the first time. We need to stop promoting sheltering and have it all in moderation and the right timing is all. With GUIDANCE. Poor raising is the problem. The parents are the problem. Those that leave their kids to their video games and TV all day without supervision and treat it like a babysitter.

Grand Theft Auto is the perfect example of it being done in the worst way possible.

That is a game franchise I think shouldn't exist despite having that view. It's THE game that creates these politics to begin with. It's too over the top in my opinion and we all know that mostly kids play it. Not adults. I see both sides, and certain games need to either not allow exist or the age has to be enforced more properly.

Rockstar should NOT be allowing kids to socially play that game. Offline is one thing but online is absurd. Why they are allowing it proves the bullshit in politics. Politics are bullshit.

Perhaps don't let corporations or products raise your children. There is no excuse. All media and art has a right to exist but it requires a mature person (not necessarily an adult) to engage with such a medium.

Signed,
A lifelong fan and player of violent and over-the-top video games such as GTA, Postal, Manhunt etc.

Yeah is probably not relevant but reminded me of a time way bank twenty five years ago.I was working in this office and a new young entrant started with us in his first job after school recollect he was about twenty , but don't quote me on it.Fairly quiet as some are like me lol when you first start as a new colleague but  WOW did he certainly come to life for two weeks talking non stop about some shoot em up game  four months in.Obsessed he was about this game that it was like he needed a fix constantly going on and on and on lol about the date this shop had the first issue I thought wtf it's only a game.He even roped a colleague in when the day arrived to drive him to get this game and when he came back it was like I'd never seen him so happy,he just couldn't wait to get home and play it.

Anyway couple of weeks later he up and left ,never came back but his mother did  ;) to apologise  for him leaving and bring back his security tag , lovely lady my boss exclaimed , lovely lad . :D

If you want to be positive in your life than you can only be around so much negativity and violence before it affects you.  Different people can handle different amounts of something before it affects them.  A lot of people have mental health issues and don't know it, want to admit it, tried to get help / help was not available and gave up, got bad help and gave up, ext.  Negativity is everywhere... It came come from where you live, what you read, the people next to you, whats on TV, music, games, religion, the morning news, what other teachers are teaching, ext.

As a college professor I have to take 6 hours of mental health education every year.  We have to report sings of metal health issues to the collage.  Our "Arts Department" has a "Zero Tolerance" policy for violence (verbal, metal, and physical) and any staff member can walk someone out and deactivate our doors (Art Department) to there ID cards at any time.

3 years ago our department went all the way to ban "negative music" and don't rap or sing it with your ear buds in if it's negitave.  We have 2 pottery wings.  The wing I work in has 3 part time teachers and a full time teachers assistant.  We have set playlist and none of the music beets per a minute over 70.

It's sad how much drugs, violence, and negativity are built into our culture.  It might be different if there was a decent metal health system in the USA, but where I'm at it sucks.  It's almost impossible to get into the metal health system with out having a huge break down.  You can not walk in off the street and get an appointment.

I think there's something worse than violence in games that affects us in a negative way.

It is frustration.

Have you played Prototype 2? It is full of gore. Blood, violence, murder, etc. But the game is too easy, smooth. It doesn't leave you in a negative mood.

So regardless of the content of the game, if it leaves you angry, depressed, etc. in the end, or you have to ragequit, then that is worse.

Certain games, for example, are built very smartly. In order to grab more and more amount of money from the audience.

So there's this game I used to play, which I quit after a lot of effort.

It is designed to make you play the next round. You just want to play it. Not because you win, but because you know you could and would win, but you didn't. It was close. And you don't want to exit the game with a loss, right?

At first, you kept winning. You win other modes, but this main game mode, you just can't win.

So you try again. The more you try, the worse it gets. And you'll often see that the opponent has an advantage because he is not an F2P. The opponents are 3-4 levels higher than you. You just can't win. And it appears such that you were just going to win.

I am one of those people who will NEVER spend a coin on games.

So now, this is an attack right on your mind: "Do you want to leave the arena with frustration, and rage? No? Then pay and leave with a smile."

Latest posts

Back