Want to leave society. Live off the grid/off the land

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITellYouHhwut

Reaction score
I think my best route to go, if I am to stay alive, is to simplify my life and start living off the land and off the grid. When I say “off the grid”, I don’t mean literally off the grid. I’m mainly just saying I want to live off the radar of the rest of the world. I still plan to have basic modern niceties such as plumbing/electrical, but to live very modestly, remotely, quietly, peacefully, and away from people and society. I also want to incorporate as much primitive living as possible (i.e. chop my own fire wood, grow my own garden, hunt, raise animals, etc...). 

I want to have a small chunk of land that is big enough to hunt on, with a small log cabin that only has 3 rooms or so (living room/bedroom, bathroom, kitchen). I don’t want hardly any material possessions, nor do I want a lavish house or vehicle. I just want a simple life free from the degeneracy of modern society, and free from the pain it has caused me. I will not continue to try to partake in a world that rejects and degrades me. I will kindly opt out of normal life.

Does anyone here have any good advice on this? How to go about it? Tips?

So you want to be a hermit?
I get that, it's very tempting.
When I've thought about it, I always fantasized about moving to some remote location in Alaska. Permafrost, northern lights and dog sleds. In reality, I'd probably freeze to death or get eaten by a bear... But it's fun to fantasize about, especially after a crappy day of dealing with other people's bullshit.

I bet there are a lot of books, forums and people to find that has good information on this. What kind of animals that are most beneficial to have would depend on where you plan to live. They all got pros and cons. Keeping animsls alive, especially if you have winter where you are requires planning and hard work during the summer to make sure there is enough food for them. Skills to plant, harvest, preserve, hunting, survival, basic medical knowledge, how to raise animals and a solution oriented mind is important. 
I agree with kaetic. This lifestyle is appealing but it would turn deadly very fast without proper knowledge. If you make it, I can imagine it being very rewarding. 

I'm sorry you feel like ths, but I do understand how appalling some places in our society can be.

In the ideal world your desire to live out in the sticks would be great. But what happens when you need a doctor and you don't have transport? Living alone is no fun especially during winter and having to deal with storms and possible flooding, and there is the ever-present threat of wildfire during the hotter months.

To become fully self-sufficient it would be ideal to have solar panelling so you could enjoy a warm shower and some light. Otherwise it will be jolly cold bathing and inconvenient having to use candles. What if a candle tipped over and you have a fire?

My daughter is group leader in a camp that teaches young people how to survive. She's a seasoned survivalist and tough despite her 12 years. I bought her a book she asked for: Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival. It would be very advantageous if you bought it.

Good luck! :)

Hi, again!

You asked an advice?

When I read this, " I still plan to have basic modern niceties such as plumbing/electrical, but to live very modestly, remotely, quietly, peacefully, and away from people and society. " I thought to myself: is she/he another @SecularHermit ? "

I'd done that! I haven't finished my little hood in years (and I have some materials to finish half of what i had planned) yet I still miss a woman, a secular hermit like me.

"...But what happens when you need a doctor and you don't have transport..."

That question wasn't addressed to me but, few days ago I too my mother to the hospital and, later on, I payed a visit to the ER and I saw ppl falling apart just in front of DOCTORS, I myself stepped myself from lifting a young lady who fell fainted in front of 2 doctors (I wasn't wearing gloves and I don't know who she was) and the place where my Mom stayed stinked like a morgue (and 2 or 3 ppl died while I returned to eat at my mother).

As far as I have lived, ppl died at sleeing, with a heart arrest or in a crashed car. 

My own Mom is sick (and unhappy) thinking , "cities would be a better shelter in her golde age " andr she lost 2 houses she had in the countryside.

I've never lived with  4 seasons! If you never lived in a tent or enjoyed your weekends on a mountain, you need to know yourself.

I lived in the jungle for 3 months at got bored of the Pemon style of life and, living totally alone, could drive ppl depressed.

What's your backgrown at scouting?

Were you a deal or a boy/girl scout?

You know your all!

If you really planned to be autharquic, I recommend several books of John Seymour. I think he's a british author who have written, at least, 2 useful books you could google and download (freely) online. The last book I had, I gave to my son Elisha. I hope he himself learn what I have enjoyed. El

Lasqueti Island off the coast of Vancouver B.C. is home to about 400 people who live off the grid. You have to be self-sufficient to live there as you're pretty much on your own. Since there are no apartments to rent, or houses to buy, people who live there were usually invited in by people who were already living there. They do have a hotel or two where you can stay and check out if Lasqueti is for you.

i leave my narcissists behind, my broken past, to leave the bribes, the capitalism, to leave the KEPO (Knowing Every Particular Object) people, to leave easy sin in my own country and move to other country. i have tried and i'm failing.
my country is best, i missed the food, all the convenience as long as you got money; when you don't you on your own, good people are still up there though. it's good for a visit only.

Crepitus said:
My cousin lives in a single decker bus by the sea on a Scottish island with his wife and kids.

Must be hell trying to get internet on that thing.

ITellYouHhwut said:
I think my best route to go, if I am to stay alive, is to simplify my life and start living off the land and off the grid. When I say “off the grid”, I don’t mean literally off the grid. I’m mainly just saying I want to live off the radar of the rest of the world. I still plan to have basic modern niceties such as plumbing/electrical, but to live very modestly, remotely, quietly, peacefully, and away from people and society. I also want to incorporate as much primitive living as possible (i.e. chop my own fire wood, grow my own garden, hunt, raise animals, etc...). 

I want to have a small chunk of land that is big enough to hunt on, with a small log cabin that only has 3 rooms or so (living room/bedroom, bathroom, kitchen). I don’t want hardly any material possessions, nor do I want a lavish house or vehicle. I just want a simple life free from the degeneracy of modern society, and free from the pain it has caused me. I will not continue to try to partake in a world that rejects and degrades me. I will kindly opt out of normal life.

Does anyone here have any good advice on this? How to go about it? Tips?

I have a stupid question...with technology being what it is so that you don't even have to leave the house if you don't wanna...why don't you just become a recluse instead of uprooting your entire life? Do you have any idea how much work that stuff will be every day? Are you willing to do it every day? If you don't have a vehicle and you go hunting...how do you get the animal home? And like the other fella said...what happens if you need an ambulance?
What if you get yourself all cut off and get out there and decide you don't like it as well as you thought you would? Being a hermit isn't for those who are of sound mind. It takes a lot of work to maintain the crazy.

Welcome to my world. I'm a hermit. I live in a big city. But, I live off the grid. I'm not connect to the utility power. As far as power I have a small solar system setup. It works just fine for me. But, I am connected to the water because I would get billed either way since I own the property. Plus having water is super nice. 

I used to venture off to the forests, deserts, and mountains fairly often but lately I've kind of been stuck at home. I've been to so many places. I can almost predict what my trips would end up being like. I basically find a very isolated spot, drive in even further off road until I can't get any further, and then hang out there for 3 - 4 weeks.

For years I looked for a simple place to live like you mentioned and many people fantasize about. But, in reality it doesn't exist. BTW, It is REALLY nice having a Walmart, Home Depot, and tons of groceries a round me. There is a hospital about two miles away.

However, I hate listening to all the neighbor's noise especially the car stereos, parties, and arguments.

In all my travels I never found the perfect place to live. So, I've stayed at the same place for years and years.

I suggest that you try several different approaches before settling on one. You might find you hate the simply life. Or, you might find it's even better not to have a home at all. I ran into and spent a lot of time with homeless people. 

Nowadays there is so much help out there that you can realistically live on the streets rather comfortably depending on the area. Some people make a decision to do that out of desire not necessity. I pretty much lived in my vehicle on and off for awhile. It was great! Whenever I got tired of an area I would just drive somewhere else. It's great not being tied down. But, it also sucks. Ha! ha! So, you'll just have to figure it all out for yourself.

Latest posts

Back