For those in the UK: Many things I bet you didn't know about your GP

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosie007 said:

I really loved this article! There are so many things I didn't know about the daily tasks that doctors go through.

Given all the commercials that tell society to "ask your doctor if this is right for you," or "discuss this with your doctor," it's no wonder that patients come in with a laundry list. We rarely think about the time required to look into all those issues, or the need to schedule time appropriately.

#8 was funny to me because I always think of that TV Series "House" (filmed in the US) when I think of doctors. LOL. Now I know that's not true, but it's hard not to think about it.

I enjoyed all the points made about GPs! I'm not sure about the differences between the US and other countries, but it seems like there are a lot of similarities.

Sometimes they refer to GPs as PCPs (primary care physicians) in the US, but I'm not sure if that is the same thing. It seems like it is, but just in case it's not, I'll state so here. I like GPs better because PCP is also an acronym for a horrible illicit drug. LOL. It's easy to get them confused. :p

Lilly2 said:
Rosie007 said:

I really loved this article!  There are so many things I didn't know about the daily tasks that doctors go through.  

Given all the commercials that tell society to "ask your doctor if this is right for you," or "discuss this with your doctor," it's no wonder that patients come in with a laundry list.  We rarely think about the time required to look into all those issues, or the need to schedule time appropriately.  

#8 was funny to me because I always think of that TV Series "House" (filmed in the US) when I think of doctors.  LOL.  Now I know that's not true, but it's hard not to think about it.  

I enjoyed all the points made about GPs!  I'm not sure about the differences between the US and other countries, but it seems like there are a lot of similarities.  

Sometimes they refer to GPs as PCPs (primary care physicians) in the US, but I'm not sure if that is the same thing.  It seems like it is, but just in case it's not, I'll state so here.  I like GPs better because PCP is also an acronym for a horrible illicit drug.  LOL.  It's easy to get them confused. :p

Lilly2 said:
Rosie007 said:

I really loved this article!  There are so many things I didn't know about the daily tasks that doctors go through.  

Given all the commercials that tell society to "ask your doctor if this is right for you," or "discuss this with your doctor," it's no wonder that patients come in with a laundry list.  We rarely think about the time required to look into all those issues, or the need to schedule time appropriately.  

#8 was funny to me because I always think of that TV Series "House" (filmed in the US) when I think of doctors.  LOL.  Now I know that's not true, but it's hard not to think about it.  

I enjoyed all the points made about GPs!  I'm not sure about the differences between the US and other countries, but it seems like there are a lot of similarities.  

Sometimes they refer to GPs as PCPs (primary care physicians) in the US, but I'm not sure if that is the same thing.  It seems like it is, but just in case it's not, I'll state so here.  I like GPs better because PCP is also an acronym for a horrible illicit drug.  LOL.  It's easy to get them confused. :p

LOL I love your post, Lilly. Nice sense of humour, too. ;)

I could takes ages describing my daily tasks as there is a lot of paper work which I took home this evening after a very long day/early start (06:00), but I saw 38 patients and had 4 cancellations. My average week Monday - Friday could see 200 patients in my surgery and if I worked Saturday mornings, then they would be 'double' appointments - between 10 and 15 patients, those who can't make a weekday appointment because of working in London. The medical practice understandably has a roster, so I'll be doing a Saturday morning in a fortnight's time, unless another GP becomes overloaded or gets ill. Actually all of us GPs are overworked. Amen.

Don't ask about what I think of our government, or why they capped the wages of hospital staff, ie. nurses. Don't ask why my government betrayed nearly a million hard working women by increasing their retirement age. Bend over Bris Johnson while I - :club:

I'm on a very good salary of £79,000 which is reflective on the number of patients I see over a year. But I earn every penny. If I get onto that GP partnering training my chief is keen on, I could later on qualifying see my salary rise to £110,000 +  But we will see. Because my hours are just.enormous. A 60 hour week is nothing. When I worked for the DGH I was doing 75 hours a week. Why? Because of staff shortages.

I'll be in bed by 10pm, as I'm up tomorrow at 05:00 to start work at 6AM before my patients start arriving for 8.

C'ya :)

I cannot believe your government caps wages. I've never heard of that. Wow! For all the hard work you put in, you deserve a lot more!

I hope you get good rest!

Talk soon! :)

Lilly2 said:
I cannot believe your government caps wages.  I've never heard of that.  Wow!  For all the hard work you put in, you deserve a lot more!  

I hope you get good rest!

Talk soon! :)

Our government capped nurses' salaries, but not doctors. What I earn is calculated by the number of patients I see.

For those who are nurses 👂 in Venezuela, tomorrow there's a STRIKE! 👊

Nurses will protestas they are starving will doctors can flee from Venezuela... 😞

I hate my automátic " Corrector"...

For those who are nurses 👂 in Venezuela, tomorrow there's a STRIKE! 👊

Nurses will protest they are starving, while doctors can flee LEGALLY from Venezuela... 😞

The more you have, the better you leave.

Latest posts

Back