Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does anyone else feel like people are garbage?
I wish I didn't feel this way, but I have been disappointed so many times that I really don't have any energy left trying to give people the benifit of the doubt. I'm so tired of trying to care, facing the same old shallow, boring nonsense, and of constantly being surrounded by strangers. The worst part of being an adult is having to deal with other adults, who are full of hangups and neuroses. And the worst part of it all is seeing myself become just like them - just as frozen and boring and indifferent.
I have felt that way before.  But why does it matter what other people do?  Worry about yourself, be yourself.  If people don't accept that, they don't deserve to know you.  We are all individuals and we each have the option of conforming to be like everyone else or staying true to ourselves regardless what other people think.  

Yes yes, easier said than done, but possible if you are determined.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 
[Image: 17vcow.jpg]
It might be selection bias but I have the feeling that 5-10% of the population feel like that these days. The people that feel that way and the ones that are garbage do overlap though, so that is nothing to take solace in. There are a few things you can do. Isolate yourself as much as possible if your environment seems to drag you down that much, the internet offers a wider range of potentially like-minded people. Some people also move to a different city or from a rural to an urban space (and vice versa). It depends on whether you have any family ties, good friends or outstanding debts that might keep you in your position. Should you resort to such a decision, keep in mind that there will always be people that drag you down and which you simply cannot avoid, especially if you work anywhere outside your home (like most people) or if you are still in school/college. Then maybe all you can do is become more resilient. Most people long for social connections and you will need that resilience when you go through the usual trial-and-error of finding genuine friends or a partner.
Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I go...
[Image: d8mV4rP.gif]
(11-12-2019, 03:35 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: I have felt that way before.  But why does it matter what other people do?  Worry about yourself, be yourself.  If people don't accept that, they don't deserve to know you.  We are all individuals and we each have the option of conforming to be like everyone else or staying true to ourselves regardless what other people think.  

Yes, and then you will be all alone. Which is perhaps better than being surrounded by people who don't get you, but still sucks. The desire to be surrounded by quality people will never go away.
(11-12-2019, 04:11 AM)SpiffyPanda Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 03:35 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: I have felt that way before.  But why does it matter what other people do?  Worry about yourself, be yourself.  If people don't accept that, they don't deserve to know you.  We are all individuals and we each have the option of conforming to be like everyone else or staying true to ourselves regardless what other people think.  

Yes, and then you will be all alone. Which is perhaps better than being surrounded by people who don't get you, but still sucks. The desire to be surrounded by quality people will never go away.

I'm not alone, so your theory is not correct.
(11-12-2019, 04:40 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote:

It's not a theory, it's my personal experience
Some of us feel like we become outliers to society. Deeply ingrained personal identity that "norms" will never accept or ridicule. I think many people fall into this category. Some of us just blend in better to get work done and pay bills. Some not so much. And many of those can be found on these kinds of forums. Perhaps socializing with people here or other mental health type forums will help your thoughts. IDK. But total isolation and not engaging in some form isn't the healthiest answer. At least in my view.
Can you say specifically what you feel is people don't get?
[Image: nISTfV3.jpg]
(11-12-2019, 06:16 AM)SpiffyPanda Wrote:

Probably because you still care about what other people think and do.  Might be closing yourself off and not giving people a chance, too.
(11-12-2019, 07:04 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:16 AM)SpiffyPanda Wrote:

Probably because you still care about what other people think and do.  Might be closing yourself off and not giving people a chance, too.

How self-absorbed do you have to be to not care at least a little bit? And that's sort of the point - I'm tired of giving people chances and being let down.

(11-12-2019, 06:26 AM)PandaSwag Wrote: Some of us feel like we become outliers to society.  Deeply ingrained personal identity that "norms" will never accept or ridicule.  I think many people fall into this category.  Some of us just blend in better to get work done and pay bills.  Some not so much.  And many of those can be found on these kinds of forums.  Perhaps socializing with people here or other mental health type forums will help your thoughts.  IDK.  But total isolation and not engaging in some form isn't the healthiest answer.  At least in my view.
Can you say specifically what you feel is people don't get?
I feel like people just want instant gratification, and anything that requires them to exert themselves a bit or go out of their comfort level has no appeal for them. It's like they want to close their eyes to all unpleasant parts of life and get upset when someone reminds them that they exist

Also, props to us both being pandas
I feel like you want instant gratification if you think I'm self absorbed for stating my opinion based on what you wrote. I never said I didn't care. If fact, I do believe I said I've felt the same way before, so I understand it. But hey, you keep on with that negativity. Seems to be working well for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't I feel happy and see the reason of life? Trappedinthedark 2 1,282 08-29-2019, 07:16 AM
Last Post: RovoR
  I feel so hopeless (random stuff) lovableplatypus 9 2,012 08-29-2019, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Puddled Duck
  I feel hopeless Miasma 7 2,134 05-10-2019, 02:17 AM
Last Post: constant stranger
  I feel overwhelmed by all the work I have yet to do worthless_loser 5 1,697 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Last Post: worthless_loser
  My parents started fighting and now I feel sad. worthless_loser 11 1,906 01-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  Feel like giving up on life TheWolf 7 1,885 01-13-2019, 12:09 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  Feel like I am stuck in a black hole TheWolf 8 1,896 01-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
Sad How do I help people with depression? Mrloggy 5 2,388 05-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: DarkSelene
  Feel like the walls are closing in lilE 2 1,636 05-16-2018, 03:16 AM
Last Post: turtlemom
  Feel like my life is over lilE 10 4,242 04-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Last Post: M_also_lonely