The Darker Side

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPanda

Reaction score
So what is it that draws some of us to darker extremes.

Like I like Rock Metal style of music.  This music always lended itself to darker imagery, aggression, power.

Morbid Curiosity,  I sometimes seek out morbid images, videos, the raw brutal depravity of humankind.

I have not partaken, but some of us are into the more extremes of exploring sexuality like BDSM, Bondage, etc.

Now some of this can be explained from someone experience trauma, abuse, etc.  But then some of us who didn't necessarily suffer such things to a higher extent why are we then drawn to this darker extremes of humanity?

Something at some point pushed me over that edge. Or maybe it was a bunch of steps that something kept pushing me down each step. Slow decent into hell.

PandaSwag said:

Like I like Rock Metal style of music.  This music always lended itself to darker imagery, aggression, power.

Morbid Curiosity,  I sometimes seek out morbid images, videos, the raw brutal depravity of humankind.

I have not partaken, but some of us are into the more extremes of exploring sexuality like BDSM, Bondage, etc.

Now some of this can be explained from someone experience trauma, abuse, etc.  But then some of us who didn't necessarily suffer such things to a higher extent why are we then drawn to this darker extremes of humanity?

Something at some point pushed me over that edge.  Or maybe it was a bunch of steps that something kept pushing me down each step.  Slow decent into hell.

Too much time on your hands maybe , spending too much time on the internet maybe.I personally keep away from that extreme stuff because like the video of a bear eating a moose whilst it's still alive and kicking it's really hard to forget.

Great thread subject though.

for me music is wasting time, noisy, provoke violence, sadness, evil. since i never heard music my life is so much improving.

I’ve always found that stuff super interesting too. Why some of us gravitate towards paraphilia and others don’t. 
I think a common misconception is that it’s triggered from these huge events like rape/abuse/trauma, it does come from that too but it doesn’t have to. I think it’s explained by childhood and dna as well. 
Even the smallest things can be the origin of darker things like for example a sense of powerlessness while growing up, or the experience of feeling empowerment where there were powerlessness before.  
Some need huge and devastating experience in order to trigger it while others just need the right circumstances and a little push.

SirPanda said:

Something at some point pushed me over that edge.  Or maybe it was a bunch of steps that something kept pushing me down each step.  Slow decent into hell.

What you've said is only stereo-typical dark when it is more often the opposite. Or people who like to associate with such things publicly in order to look more superficially badass or to push people away with their own fears thinking they'll be protected for projecting they are darkness.

Most listen to Rock Metal not because of how 'dark' it is. But rather the emotion and energy that comes from it. Personally, I love Rock Metal music and if you listen to the lyrics you would realize it does the opposite and it is often used for coping and not feeling alone. The majority that listening to it are the fearful, misunderstood and/or are dealing with anxiety or their own trauma. The most beautiful thoughtful people I ever met were fellow Metal heads. Tattoos and all. We shouldn't judge or label books by the cover and their music taste, sexuality, or anything otherwise.

To associate dark imagery and power alongside of are two entirely different things. Music should never been seen that way. One of the only few human things left that make people feel anything without resorting to medication.

What brings someone who isn't into the darker extremes is outside influences not imagery and things that are there without factual backing.

No one is inherently dark. As someone who has experienced trauma and constantly hurt for a very large of part of my life, it makes some of us do the opposite and not become what we hate.

DNA should not affect someone's outcome of becoming dark. Everyone has the capacity to know right and wrong and grow from it in their own way. Every. One. The mentally disabled or impaired are often the happiest and instinctively know right from wrong. That is no coincidence. It is something deep within all of us. If you are are smart enough to be a nihilist you are smart enough to look at every angle as well and absorb properly.

The right influences.

lookatthebrightside said:
for me music is wasting time, noisy, provoke violence, sadness, evil. since i never heard music my life is so much improving.
Your username boggles me lol. You are speaking very dark. I respect your views but what does saying that here get you? Lol. It's not constructive.

Music is life. Music makes you feel. Music is human and can be very soulful. It's very heart breaking to see anyone think ill of music.

"Most listen to Rock Metal not because of how 'dark' it is. But rather the emotion and energy that comes from it. Personally, I love Rock Metal music and if you listen to the lyrics you would realize it does the opposite and it is often used for coping and not feeling alone. The majority that listening to it are the fearful, misunderstood and/or are dealing with anxiety or their own trauma. The most beautiful thoughtful people I ever met were fellow Metal heads. Tattoos and all. We shouldn't judge or label books by the cover and their music taste, sexuality, or anything otherwise."

Yes I know this. That's why I don't make judgments about ones superficial appearance as it relates to "stereotypical" look associated with this style of music. But you missed my point. And yes some lyrics speak deeper as do many songs from all genres of music. I think it is you that over simplified my thought on this. But you do you boo.

Seeky said:
SirPanda said:

What you've said is only stereo-typical dark when it is more often the opposite. Or people who like to associate with such things publicly in order to look more superficially badass or to push people away with their own fears thinking they'll be protected for projecting they are darkness.

Most listen to Rock Metal not because of how 'dark' it is. But rather the emotion and energy that comes from it. Personally, I love Rock Metal music and if you listen to the lyrics you would realize it does the opposite and it is often used for coping and not feeling alone. The majority that listening to it are the fearful, misunderstood and/or are dealing with anxiety or their own trauma. The most beautiful thoughtful people I ever met were fellow Metal heads. Tattoos and all. We shouldn't judge or label books by the cover and their music taste, sexuality, or anything otherwise.

To associate dark imagery and power alongside of are two entirely different things. Music should never been seen that way. One of the only few human things left that make people feel anything without resorting to medication.

What brings someone who isn't into the darker extremes is outside influences not imagery and things that are there without factual backing.

No one is inherently dark. As someone who has experienced trauma and constantly hurt for a very large of part of my life, it makes some of us do the opposite and not become what we hate.

DNA should not affect someone's outcome of becoming dark. Everyone has the capacity to know right and wrong and grow from it in their own way. Every. One. The mentally disabled or impaired are often the happiest and instinctively know right from wrong. That is no coincidence. It is something deep within all of us. If you are are smart enough to be a nihilist you are smart enough to look at every angle as well and absorb properly.

The right influences.

lookatthebrightside said:
Your username boggles me lol. You are speaking very dark. I respect your views but what does saying that here get you? Lol. It's not constructive.

Music is life. Music makes you feel. Music is human and can be very soulful. It's very heart breaking to see anyone think ill of music.

that's what you think, i can write debates but i'm here in this forum to be relaxing. i writes what i think so i stop there.

Latest posts

Back