Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does ESP exist?
I've been learning a lot about Parapsychology over the last half year or so and  I'm fairly certain that ESP does exist. I've been reading over the paper linked below (a refutation to Richard Wiseman's criticism of parapsychology and the Ganzfeld experiments in particular) a reasonable amount today and there is a lot to unpack. One important point this paper makes is that while the skeptics love to cherry pick the Milton-Wiseman meta-analysis of the Auto-Ganzfeld because of it's null result. Aside from some of the problems that exist with this meta-analysis, Skeptics also seem to overlook the fact that the database that it was published in maintains a 25% replication rate overall which is highly significant given that a null replication result should be at 5%. Furthermore, the replication rate for the Ganzfeld experiments as a whole is at 30% so contrary to the claim commonly made by Skeptics that replication of the Ganzfeld has been too inconsistent to be taken seriously, it has actually replicated at a rate totally consistent with that of other sciences. This is really very impressive when, as the paper notes, parapsychology has received less funding in it's over a 120 year history than mainstream psychology does in 2 months. There is plenty more food for thought in the paper and I recommend giving it a good read if you're interested:

https://www.academia.edu/7767705/Beyond_...psychology

PS: I apologize in advance if this post doesn't make much sense to people who aren't familiar about the debate between Parapsychologists and Skeptics over whether ESP exists or not. I don't really have time to unpack the whole debate so I'm not going to give a whole lot of context here. If you want to learn more about the subject, then Psi-Encyclopedia's article on the history of the Ganzfeld experiments is a good place to start:

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/ganzfeld

I know it's also possible I'll attract some heat from Skeptics over this post but I guess that is what the Up For Debate section of the forum is for.
There is so much about ourselves, this world, the universe, etc that we don't know or understand yet. So yeah, I would say that nearly anything is possible. I do believe in ESP though. I don't follow the scientific aspect of it all and I don't research it.

Intuition is a form of ESP, that gut feeling you get when you just "know" something is wrong. What else could explain it? I suppose some could say anxiety, but that doesn't really make sense when that something is something you couldn't have known about.

Anyway, I think we've probably all experienced some type of ESP, but just rationalized it to something more "logical."
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 
[Image: IMG_4388.jpg]
I dont know what are the ESP, but I have believd too many things as the NDEs...

All depends the PLACE each ppl wants to have an standing point. For instance, historically I believed in Jesus Christ but, personally, I havent met him neither GOD as a person, so I hope any of them understand my personal lack of information and experience. Im as real as anything ppl think odd things are real.
I'll be all I want to be!
I have come to the point where I believe in ESP too, however coming to that belief has been a bit fraught for me due to the fact that I was going through a manic phase when I started to believe it and ended up losing my job over it. (However, a bright spot of that is that I may be able to get into the nearby law school in my area, which is very good and quite affordable). Anyway, I had read a book that had skimmed over the concept a bit (called "Fringeology, by a man I think called Steve Volk), and I have been reading stuff on quantum mechanics as well that has opened my mind. (The book is called "The Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" and it's an introductory textbook on quatum mechanics for nonphysics majors). I am still not finished yet, but as I explained to someone, I explained that if you study hive insects - like ants, termites, and bees - you can understand the idea of how ESP might exist if you consider the fact that they are able to fight wars with each other. For example, I read something about how bees are able to pollinate flowers in a field in a ridiculously economical way that seems impossible for an insect animal to accomplish with their own intelligence. Another thing is that I find that there is a similarity between the leaving trails of chemicals for fellow ants to follow and the behavior scientists find in the human brain in thinking thoughts with glion cells and such, which leads me to believe that ESP is possible, but that much of what people sense is just white noise in their subliminal conscious, but that I think that there is a process in physics in which this happens, but that it is not just electricity, but something more. While I do know the common reaction to this, I will say that I have had shared dreams with a friend which I don't think that I can just explain away. I do want to be more careful in the future in sharing my thoughts on this however, as it is not well received even in religious circles, which is strange to me, but as I was telling my friend, I really am starting to believe in it, and believe to most people it just manifests itself as a feeling of being watched or followed in certain situations, but that if trained, can be something more than that, so that is my opinion on the matter.
Does ESP exist?

Some years back I experienced the sight of what is called a shadow person.

I did not know about shadow persons, but reading the internet for accounts of other people having also my experience, I learned that it is quite a common experience of people.

In my case, I was sitting on the edge of my bed facing the wall, not doing anything except being awake and conscious, then suddenly from the corner of my eyes I noticed some dark shape in a hooded cloak moving from the door to the window, I called out to it, Hey!

It didn't stop but passed out the window which was closed with its glass panel.

I said to myself that if only this character or whatever it appeared to be but it seemed human, would only interact with me, talk with me, that should serve very well for me in regard to companionship.

So, I did some thinking about parapsychology, ESP, PSI, etc., Ouija board, etc., and also dreams, etc., whatever, what do they serve, but for entertainment of humans?

I wish all these such entities can be useful to mankind, aside from entertainment or amusement or pastime, like for example, with the Covid-19 virus, against which mankind really need pretty quickly for a cure and a preventive remedy.

Otherwise it's just all talk essentially about such experiences, which are all to my thinking, entertainment which is exciting but scary - if you don't get all disturbed as to become maladjusted, mental cases.
ESP, telekinesis, premonitions, these are all personal things. You might have a premonition and tell the body beside you that a safe will fall from a window and then seconds later the safe falls...but do you know what? They will find a way to discredit it or block it from their minds completely. Eventually they will deny it ever happened.

You can pass on your experience, you can give the best proof you have, but in the end only those that experience it will believe it. Now, this isn't to say that those that haven't experienced it can't believe in it. But most often, though they want to believe it is real, they will never accept that your stories are real.

Marius, I have seen what you call a shadow person. Dark, featureless, black void of a shape appearing to wear a cape. It came to my bedside, it looked down at me. It turned and walked through a basement wall.

Like you I was fascinated with it and spent a very long time trying to uncover information. So, I'll ask you, at the time you saw it were you unable to move?

I ask because that was my experience. I later learned of sleep paralysis. Your brain puts your motor control on hold when you are deeply asleep. Sometimes your consciousness awakens before your motor system does. You are awake but completely paralyzed. Many that have experienced this phenomena have reported the cloaked figure.

The mystery remains. Was there an intelligent presence staring down at me? Or was it a hallucination? And if it was a hallucination, how is it that it is so often reported?

I find the cloak an odd addition to a hallucination. It's not like I have regular interactions with people wearing cloaks...who has worn one in the last 100 years?

So, I have seen it. But, unless it was death wondering why I didn't show up those few times it called to me, I can't give it any validity.

There have been vast numbers of studies on most anything that you can label as paranormal or preternatural and never have they provided conclusive positive results. It doesn't mean it isn't real. It just means it is personal.
Marathe, my thinking on this front has lead me into Quantum Theory, also.  I'm content with my conclusions but most would think me a fruitcake.  The thing is, if Quantum Theory on parallel universes is in anyway accurate, my theories are quite probable. Most paranormal can be explained easily.  And there is nothing supernatural about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Utopia can never exist. Rahvin 10 4,860 04-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Phaedron
  Why does terrorism exist? LeaningIntoTheMuse 60 11,785 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EveWasFramed
  Does the past exist yet? Phaedron 15 6,646 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Last Post: LeaningIntoTheMuse