Unbelievably temporary relationships...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anIsolatedMan96

Reaction score
Evening people,

I just find it unbelievably depressing how temporary so many 'relationships' seem to be these days.

The number of people (work colleagues, acquaintances, random people etc.) that you'll spend hours upon hours laughing with an opening up to, and then, one day, either their contract ends or they decide to move on, and you literally never see or speak to them again...

I understand that's how the professional world of workplaces works, but it's just hit me how sad that is. 

It just feels really difficult to form a strong bond with people once you leave education (school, university, college etc.).

How do you go about making new, strong bonds with people as adults lol? I find it unbelievably difficult!

It is indeed difficult. I'm only still in touch with a select few of friends from school, and in my previous jobs, we just lost touch when I left.

I've made some good relationships with some of the people at my current workplace, but now that I'm about to leave I'm not sure how it'll go even though I would call some of them my friends now. I can't see how we could stop being friends given how close we've become over the past couple of years but like you say, these relationships will tend to fade off when you leave and move on to another organisation that gets you busy with new people there.

I've not been able to make any new friends outside of work as an adult. Most of my friends are either from school or work... so I'm not one who can give you good advice or tips on that but just wanted to say that you're not alone. I do think it's a common problem a lot of adults face everywhere.

ladyforsaken said:
It is indeed difficult. I'm only still in touch with a select few of friends from school, and in my previous jobs, we just lost touch when I left.

I've made some good relationships with some of the people at my current workplace, but now that I'm about to leave I'm not sure how it'll go even though I would call some of them my friends now. I can't see how we could stop being friends given how close we've become over the past couple of years but like you say, these relationships will tend to fade off when you leave and move on to another organisation that gets you busy with new people there.

I've not been able to make any new friends outside of work as an adult. Most of my friends are either from school or work... so I'm not one who can give you good advice or tips on that but just wanted to say that you're not alone. I do think it's a common problem a lot of adults face everywhere.

Ah. Nice to hear I'm not the only who feels this way. It's awful isn't it? If someone had told me, when I was a kid, that it would be so difficult to find real friends when you're older, I probably would have put more effort into some of my old friendships...

Latest posts

Back