people you used to know..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tayuya

Reaction score
This week has been weird. Monday night i saw someone that i haven't spoken to in a long time and i felt so weird i didn't even say anythingg to them but from the corner of my eye i could see they were staring at me and maybe expecting me to say something or something idk.. and this morning i had a similar thing happen with someone i havent spoke to or seen for like half a year but they said hi to me and it was so awkward and painful... 

Do you guys feel like if you don't talk to someone in a very long time you don't know them anymore? I feel that way tbh like ummmm youre a stranger now and this is weird.

Tayuya said:
This week has been weird. Monday night i saw someone that i haven't spoken to in a long time and i felt so weird i didn't even say anythingg to them but from the corner of my eye i could see they were staring at me and maybe expecting me to say something or something idk.. and this morning i had a similar thing happen with someone i havent spoke to or seen for like half a year but they said hi to me and it was so awkward and painful... 

Yeah? So what? Now let me explain what I mean. Why should you be expected to say something to them or go up to them? If you haven't spoke to them in a long time that means they haven't spoken to you in that same amount of time. What are they, royalty that you have to run up to them first? What I am trying to say is that you did nothing wrong.

Not in real life....
But I've had that feeling around online buddies whom I haven't been in contact with for a while...
I used to try to initiate conversation, but I've never been able to re-establish a working relationship with them. So, I've stopped initiating...

Depends on who the person is. It doesn't matter if you haven't seen them in awhile, just saying hi doesn't hurt anything. Not saying anything or ignoring them would feel worse, especially if it was someone who may have thought you had a friendly enough relationship. I see a lot of people on here complaining about people they used to know ignoring them, just smiling and saying hi never killed anyone. Actually, it can really brighten someones day. It also doesn't mean you have to stop and have a conversation with them.

Sci-Fi said:
Depends on who the person is.  It doesn't matter if you haven't seen them in awhile, just saying hi doesn't hurt anything.  Not saying anything or ignoring them would feel worse, especially if it was someone who may have thought you had a friendly enough relationship.  I see a lot of people on here complaining about people they used to know ignoring them, just smiling and saying hi never killed anyone.  Actually, it can really brighten someones day.  It also doesn't mean you have to stop and have a conversation with them.

Thinking it over I have come to the conclusion that your response here was a lot better than mine and made more sense.

They were probably looking at you to see if you would remember them. But yeah, whether they are a "stranger" or not, what's the harm in saying hello? You don't have to stop and talk, just say hello and keep moving.

As for if I feel I don't know someone after a long time, I don't feel six months is a long time, so not for that. But longer than that, yeah, of course I don't expect the person to be the same person and I certainly wouldn't be the same person, because we are always growing and changing ourselves. I ran into someone I haven't seen in 10 years at the store yesterday. We had the typical "hi how are you" conversation and that's it. Lasted a span of 10 seconds. lol

Yesterday, while watching the News, I saw one of my teachers, I heard where she lives, and plan to find her out. If she remember what she felt for me, I don't mind she pulled me once to Kiss me in the mouse or to kick me out. I'm glad she's alive! I'm

Have sometimes run in to people that I was in high school with. Not friends though, because I didn’t have any friends in high school. They were bullies, but, I try and give people a chance. But I tend to always find that, even 25 years after high school finished, they show that they are still holding on to those old opinions about me and attitudes toward me. I find people don’t tend to grow up as much as we may think. Or hope.

We were very involved in a local church. And, then there were some personal issues going on in our lives. My mom was ill and I was helping her, I had some medical issues so was exhausted and we quit going to church. Then, when we were out and about in the community going to our kids' games, etc, we would see some of these church folks whom we thought we were very friendly with and they walked past us or looked right through us like we didn't exist. I thought it was just me at first but DH noticed the same thing.

Latest posts

Back