What's Your New Year's Resolution?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Lace

Reaction score
If you have one, that is. 

If you (somehow) don't already know, a New Year's Resolution is defined as: a tradition, most common in the Western Hemisphere, in which a person attempts to change an undesired trait or behavior, to accomplish a personal goal, or otherwise improve their life.

My New Year's Resolution, or "New Decade's Resolution" as I like to call it, is to overcome my social anxiety disorder and selective mutism. It's been holding me back for far, far too long. I'm already making a bit of progress by becoming more sociable and confident online when even that bare minimum used to trigger a panic-attack, so it's looking up so far!

I don't need a new year resolution to start or stop doing things. If I want to start or stop then I will decide and put that into action.

At the start of this year, I made a new year's resolution to put Trump, Elon Musk, and Kanye West on Ignore.

Rather than continue to get mad at their obnoxiousness and attention-seeking behavior, I thought it would be better for my maturity and sanity to just deny them the attention they demand from us all. They can demand it all they want, and try to insert themselves into everything, but I don't have to give them it.

At the end of this year, I'm happy to say that I can't name a single thing they said all year.

It's hard to filter out high-profile people entirely, and some vague things about them have gotten through, but I consider my resolution a success because I don't know the details about any of it. I didn't look into it. I can't name any specific thing they said. I wanted to shut these attention-seekers out of my life and save the space for something more meaningful. And I feel like I did just that!

Last edited:
To endure.
Avoid people or more of the same, the inceasing flood of soulless geographical gatecrasher ****** bags who only have a spring in their step seeing you down, enjoying what your honest hard work in maintenance could be plundered, seeing you struggling for even the simple pleasures in life they cannot even give thanks for, those who suck you into drama, ego-maniac usurpers of your lifeblood, spirit and who have to outcompete you in everything, those who ask you how you are feeling then use that as a bench mark to somehow out-do you on it like the mafia of mediocrity they always were.
Second need to control myself better, try and aim for more self improvement, carry on regardless of the way society and its minions are going directionally, letting go and be happy they have chosen that "happier" "convienient" and for now less "depressing" trajectory, remain undecieved on the less travelled (and very lonely) path.
Put others before myself more or more accurately give help to those who truely need it and not waste it on people who abuse peoples altruism, care and love for others.
Try and put the cider to bed.
Excercise more.

I'm kinda the same way. I do try to make positive steps toward my goals year round.

My goals for 2024 are:
Take up another hobby.
Be kinder to everyone.
Live in the moment.
Grocery shop smarter.
Buy a scale.
Make better eating choices.
Move around more.

Same as last year in terms of ignoring attention-seekers.

Also, avoiding drama - here, in my offline life, in the news, everywhere.
Trying to ignore things that aren't relevant to my life, and focus on the things that are really important to me.

While there might be some people that I don't want to be like, or hang out with, because it wouldn't make me feel happy with myself, I will try not to refer to people like that as dopes, losers, and things like that. I don't know what internal battle they might be fighting. I will just say that they are not for me, try not to repeat whatever it is they are doing that I don't think works, and try to figure out what is for me.

Finally, I resolve this year to remember what my real enemies are:
my real enemies in life have been discouragement/self-doubt, pessimism/negativity, and indecision, hesitation, not committing to anything, because I doubt my potential and I doubt if my interests are sincere enough to commit.
That's what I need to be fighting, not other people, and not ranting about political issues.
That's been the thing that's been getting me down all this time.

Same as last year in terms of ignoring attention-seekers.

Also, avoiding drama - here, in my offline life, in the news, everywhere.
Trying to ignore things that aren't relevant to my life, and focus on the things that are really important to me.

While there might be some people that I don't want to be like, or hang out with, because it wouldn't make me feel happy with myself, I will try not to refer to people like that as dopes, losers, and things like that. I don't know what internal battle they might be fighting. I will just say that they are not for me, try not to repeat whatever it is they are doing that I don't think works, and try to figure out what is for me.

Finally, I resolve this year to remember what my real enemies are:
my real enemies in life have been discouragement/self-doubt, pessimism/negativity, and indecision, hesitation, not committing to anything, because I doubt my potential and I doubt if my interests are sincere enough to commit.
That's what I need to be fighting, not other people, and not ranting about political issues.
That's been the thing that's been getting me down all this time.

Here's another one in a similar vein:

I will quit "hate searching" people.

It was never anything I did often, but from time to time, I searched for social media of people I strongly disliked, just to basically confirm that I am right for disliking them because they are awful.

The thing is, it's not productive, constructive, or interesting to do. It won't give me anything to talk about or help me get my life to take off.

If I really don't like someone, they should be completely irrelevant to me and my life, not someone that makes me feel so strongly that I get mad. I shouldn't feel anything for them at all. I don't have time for that.

I have searched some people this year to remind myself of examples of how I DON'T want to be or end up, but that's not really the same thing as "hate searching" to me. That's just reminding myself what I want to avoid and why. As far as actual "hate searching" goes, I have NOT done that yet this year, and I intend to keep it that way.

Latest posts

Back