How about a little round of good idea bad idea.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staying in contact with an ex partner

• Good idea

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

halfboat

Reaction score
1st thread of mine baring my intial greeting within new members, so do forgive me if my format offends the eyes. I'm happy to take corrections/critisisms.

To kick off this show let's use my current little scenario as a starting line eh?

Staying in contact with an ex partner who it would seem you still harbour quite deep romantic feelings towards even as they are moving on with their lives.

Good idea bad idea?

Remember people, there are no wrong answers, only discussions to be had and points of view to be enlightened towards.

i never had an ex partner, but i am sure that is a bad idea to have contact with an ex because you don't want to live in the past, the person is moving so is you. human live for their present and prepare for their future. even when you in loneliness keep on moving forward you will find other person better then the last one.
don't merry the sadness.
do not confuse trauma bond with love, this when you ever had relation with narcs.

You need a 3rd option. Because it depends on how it ended. If it was amicable split then you can remain friends, but if it was not. Then yeah obvious bad idea. Even then it's not really ideal unless you had children together. I don't think it's a black and white yes or no good or bad. Depends on the relationships circumstances.

Good Panda. 🐼
I also think it depends on how the relationship was.
If it was a healthy one and yall are acting like grownups then why not be friends. If so, then both will understand that it will probably take some time to get over it and that space in needed for that. 

If it's the other way around then I'd stay clear of a friendship. 

I have to say though. Managing to be friends with someone you were very close with can be a extremely rewarding friendship.

The break up was not mutual + you still have feelings for her + staying in contact with her = Torturing yourself.

Bad idea.

Yeah, you really need more options.
My ex and I are actually so much better apart than when we were together in terms of getting along. Though, when he is arguing with his girlfriend, he seems to take it out on me.
But yeah, I don't have the option of not staying in contact since we have kids together.

I keep in contact with most of my exes, so I would say it depends on the situation. There are a few whom I never want to hear from again, but there are also some I talk to on occasion, and I think that being able to helps me to keep understand what went wrong with those I dated before and what I can do better.

MaratheGray said:
I keep in contact with most of my exes, so I would say it depends on the situation. There are a few whom I never want to hear from again, but there are also some I talk to on occasion, and I think that being able to helps me to keep understand what went wrong with those I dated before and what I can do better.

thinksUp.png

Keeping in touch with an ex-partner is really frowned upon. If you have separated amicably, and you are not gonna fall in love with them all over again, then it is not such a bad idea to stay in touch.

Latest posts

Back