Even more lonely around established cliques

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentSoul89

Reaction score
Each week that I volunteer I come back feeling worse & more lonely than ever. I volunteer at a youth club & my focus is on engaging the kids but I feel so disconnected from the staff who all know each other well. I got volunteer of the month last month so I must be doing something right. But despite that I feel no sense of belonging whatsoever. This is evident in the team meeting at the end of session. The staff all talk with each other & I'm just stood there feeling so alone... No one approaches me to talk to me, it's always just small talk. & it depresses me so much. 

The kids approach me all the time as they trust me but the staff don't even bother. There's a girl I like but 1 week I feel a connection the next week I feel worthless. I walk home with another older staff member so i talk to her but that's it. Being here has helped me to get a role in a school which I could be starting soon but more than anything I wish I had some friends. I'm not bad looking, always friendly & quick witted. But I may as well be dead to the world because that's exactly how I feel :( ..

SilentSoul89 said:
Each week that I volunteer I come back feeling worse & more lonely than ever. I volunteer at a youth club & my focus is on engaging the kids but I feel so disconnected from the staff who all know each other well. I got volunteer of the month last month so I must be doing something right. But despite that I feel no sense of belonging whatsoever. This is evident in the team meeting at the end of session. The staff all talk with each other & I'm just stood there feeling so alone... No one approaches me to talk to me, it's always just small talk. & it depresses me so much. 

The kids approach me all the time as they trust me but the staff don't even bother. There's a girl I like but 1 week I feel a connection the next week I feel worthless. I walk home with another older staff member so i talk to her but that's it. Being here has helped me to get a role in a school which I could be starting soon but more than anything I wish I had some friends. I'm not bad looking, always friendly & quick witted. But I may as well be dead to the world because that's exactly how I feel :( ..

I have had that happen to me a few times. It is a very unpleasant feeling. A few things come to mind. For sure some people really are unfriendly or they might think, "I've got my social life sorted; I don't need anyone else". However there are a lot of people who feel insecure in themselves and don't find it easy to talk to strangers and they just take the easy way out. You can't tell what other people are thinking. I once went to a choir where no one talked to me. They wouldn't even meet my gaze and say Hi when I walked in or say cheers when I left. Once I noticed this it became a real issue with me and I would have left the group but for the fact that I had nothing else to do. I was off for about three weeks due to illness and when I went back quite a few people said they were glad to see me and they thought I had left! I was really surprised because I had previously felt completely unwanted.
 Someone must like you if they voted you volunteer of the month. It might even be that some people resent you because they think you are too good! I would advise you to keep going. Try not to let it get to you and try not to let it affect your behaviour towards the others.

SilentSoul89 said:

I have your same dilemma, only, because I have discovered my divinity by way of an epiphany, I am much more capable of dealing with not being wanted by others. When the mind becomes illumined, God beccomes one's partner, eventually replacing the deep, overwhelming need for love from others.

SilentSoul89, I first want to compliment you for being a volunteer anywhere.  You're a step ahead of where I want to be myself.  Allow me still to offer these comments on your experience.

First, it does take time to become part of a click, and the longer you stay with your volunteer group, the more you'll become a valuable part of it.  This will become more apparent as senior members move on and newbies come in behind you.  This is a process that occurs everywhere - you invest time and effort, and it slowly pays off dividends.  So stay with it.  Unless you find your time better spent elsewhere, you probably will inevitably form some good working relationships there - friendly acquaintances that you'll enjoy interacting with each week.  This should have you coming home afterwards feeling good about the day. 

Second, while time with your volunteer group should yield friendly acquaintances, your goal should be to turn one or more of those acquaintances into a personal friendship that goes beyond the volunteer work day.  Achieving this may very well depend on you being the one to reach out.  As you spend time there talking to everyone each week (which you need to proactively do so that people see that you're a friendly person they like), you should have a feel for which ones might have compatible friend potential.  Making the jump from routine work contact to outside social encounter is a critical step that we usually just don't do.  It takes determination and effort.  That though, is what starts a real friendship - which is a solid treatment for loneliness.  Set yourself a goal to ask someone out to share a place or activity - suggest a specific date and idea for something.  When I was climbing, I made 2 of my best permanent friends by initially inviting them out to give the sport a try.  Biking, kayaking, road trip to a nearby park, a movie, or dinner with 2 or 3 of them.  Whatever it is, you must make the effort to find out the interests of others, share your interests with them, and see what possibilities open up for getting together to share something.  Assertiveness is the key ingredient.  So, if people there aren't showing enough interest in you, you need to compensate for that with your own dynamic, friendly, outgoing personality and efforts.  Reach out to them, find common ground, and propose a specific get together that might start a friendship.  If one doesn't bite, find another.  There may be someone else there, like you, who could use a personal friend, but just isn't socially confident enough to break the ice with you.

Third, I bring up a Christian doctrine relevant to your situation.  I understand you wanting to feel more accepted there and to ultimately obtain some worthwhile relationships that end your loneliness.  That's fine and something you may work on for many years to come.  Some of us spend a lifetime working on it and never find complete satisfaction in our relationships. There's an important point to realize here though - that your joy in life should not be entirely dependent upon being accepted by others.  I believe that our entire purpose in this life is to know and love the Lord first, and to love and serve others second.  That means that focusing on God and others is more important than focusing on ourselves.  Thus, our desire for recognition or acceptance, though nice, is not really important in the big scheme of things.  So let me tie this point specifically to your situation as a volunteer.  Assuming you are in fact helping children in a Godly way, your work of volunteering is a worthy act of love.  You're serving the Lord by serving others.  That alone is cause to add peace and joy to your life.  After going home from a day of helping the kids as a volunteer, you need to consider and appreciate the good day that you've given them.  You didn't waste it, and you probably had some good impact on a certain kid that you may never even know about.

So, I encourage you to assertively work on the relationship potential with the other volunteers.  That can bring some worthwhile happiness into your life.  But seek your inner peace and joy from who you are, what you believe, what your values are, and what you do with your life.  Your "giving" as a volunteer is a part of that, especially if you can have a positive influence on impressionable youths.  If you can focus on making each day purposeful towards loving God and others, you'll come home from your volunteer days feeling happy, regardless of your own life's deficiencies.

Latest posts

Back