Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How Important Is Working?
Hi All!

Straight to the point really, how important d'ya think working is for your mental health?

I'm in 2 minds. Might be beneficial but also has it's downsides.

Thanks!
Well unless you're living with people supporting financially there's that extremely important reason to work. Unless you don't mind being homeless. So just surviving and not worrying about having a roof and food is peace of mind. Beyond that yes work can also give a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Socializing with peers and coworkers.
[Image: nISTfV3.jpg]
It's very beneficial, if I wasn't working I'd go out of my mind. Work is about the only real face to face socializing I get.

[Image: mlJt1O.gif]
(02-22-2020, 01:58 AM)SirPanda Wrote: Well unless you're living with people supporting financially there's that extremely important reason to work.  Unless you don't mind being homeless.  So just surviving and not worrying about having a roof and food is peace of mind.  Beyond that yes work can also give a sense of purpose and accomplishment.  Socializing with peers and coworkers.

If you have a job that is with people who are friendly and you can at least get on with, I guess that would be beneficial. Unless you like to work alone that is. 

But if you are working with people who exclude you and refuse to talk with you, then it is a daily hell really.
Working is extremely important to your mental health.  Not only for the financial security, but also to keep your mind off things.  I suppose it would depend on your work ethic and whatnot though.  Either way though, I think making your own money and being responsible really helps to show yourself you are good enough or that you're capable.
I don't have any work right now in my second job, so I find myself with time on my hands.  Yesterday, I was going crazy because I had nothing to do.  I went into mad cleaning mode because I can't sit idle.  I have to have something to do.  I still felt bad that I wasn't working, but it helped.  I'll get more work soon and then it will be all good and my house will be a mess again because I don't have time to clean. lol  
I should hire a maid Club
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 
[Image: 28467734_1679297465465479_46906082594714...e=5F13E812]
I think it’s pretty crucial, both from a financial and mental health point of view. Working forces me to get out of the house and see other people on a regular basis. If I wasn’t working, I would totally become a hermit and I know from personal experience that it isn’t healthy. My work gives me the best of both worlds - I have an office I can go to, but I’m also able to work from home if needed. Not to mention, work enables you to be financially self-reliant and not depend on others for support.
The thought of working makes me nervous be honest. I always make mistakes and it makes me feel useless.

I also have worked at places I was excluded. I just didn't click with hardly any of them.
(02-22-2020, 09:13 PM)TheRealCallie Wrote: Working is extremely important to your mental health.  Not only for the financial security, but also to keep your mind off things.  I suppose it would depend on your work ethic and whatnot though.  Either way though, I think making your own money and being responsible really helps to show yourself you are good enough or that you're capable.
I don't have any work right now in my second job, so I find myself with time on my hands.  Yesterday, I was going crazy because I had nothing to do.  I went into mad cleaning mode because I can't sit idle.  I have to have something to do.  I still felt bad that I wasn't working, but it helped.  I'll get more work soon and then it will be all good and my house will be a mess again because I don't have time to clean. lol  
I should hire a maid Club

Yes you're right. I've done 1 days work in almost 3 weeks now and I'm really starting to feel down now. I really don't know what to do though.
Just keep looking for a job. Maybe try something that doesn't involve a lot of people. A mail carrier or paper delivery doesn't have you interacting with a lot of people, so you don't have to be worried about feeling left out so much. I think most people are worried about making mistakes, but mistakes aren't always a bad thing. Maybe try to find something that is focused around something you like to do. Or even see if you can get a job in a place where people are more friendly, like a church or a counseling office.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 
[Image: 28467734_1679297465465479_46906082594714...e=5F13E812]
I really enjoy my work, when I don't have enough the depression creeps in.I basically went from one of my hobbies as a kid and developed it into my career .It brings the money in , keeps the wolf from the door,keeps me motivated and gets me out amongst people which with Social Anxiety the bane of my life , has helped with my confidence.I actually see alot of my customers as friends which really helps with my mental health because I don't have any outside of family.I had a period of unemployment after dropping out of university , I started drinking heavily and just felt so worthless so from that time onwards I've just tried to keep employed whether temp work , permanent or self employed because I just can't cope without it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you working on? Assimilate 7 1,969 05-28-2020, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Assimilate
  This is important that you read this very carefully Iwillnevershutup 8 1,569 09-09-2019, 05:45 AM
Last Post: MissBehave
  What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on? Maximum7 21 3,288 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  Are other planets as important as Earth? humourless 5 1,341 04-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Last Post: redbeard 44
  A.L.L Relationships. Are You In One And How Are They Working Out? Retrospective81 50 11,176 03-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: lonelyfairy
  What are the four most important things in life for you? DariusArgent 14 7,133 02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Last Post: simhthmss
  Life as a single working mom... EveWasFramed 14 6,398 12-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Last Post: mountainvista
  working holiday,volunteering... mattathyah 7 3,965 11-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Last Post: PurpleMist
Question What are the most important things in life...for you? Nocebo 37 6,759 09-20-2014, 02:23 AM
Last Post: stork_error
  Parenting an important Demands Child: What you require comprehend "Respit Care" ledeLeridaf 1 1,899 12-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Lilianna