How Important Is Working?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken_Soul

Reaction score
Hi All!

Straight to the point really, how important d'ya think working is for your mental health?

I'm in 2 minds. Might be beneficial but also has it's downsides.

Thanks!

Well unless you're living with people supporting financially there's that extremely important reason to work. Unless you don't mind being homeless. So just surviving and not worrying about having a roof and food is peace of mind. Beyond that yes work can also give a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Socializing with peers and coworkers.

It's very beneficial, if I wasn't working I'd go out of my mind. Work is about the only real face to face socializing I get.

SirPanda said:
Well unless you're living with people supporting financially there's that extremely important reason to work.  Unless you don't mind being homeless.  So just surviving and not worrying about having a roof and food is peace of mind.  Beyond that yes work can also give a sense of purpose and accomplishment.  Socializing with peers and coworkers.

If you have a job that is with people who are friendly and you can at least get on with, I guess that would be beneficial. Unless you like to work alone that is. 

But if you are working with people who exclude you and refuse to talk with you, then it is a daily hell really.

Working is extremely important to your mental health.  Not only for the financial security, but also to keep your mind off things.  I suppose it would depend on your work ethic and whatnot though.  Either way though, I think making your own money and being responsible really helps to show yourself you are good enough or that you're capable.
I don't have any work right now in my second job, so I find myself with time on my hands.  Yesterday, I was going crazy because I had nothing to do.  I went into mad cleaning mode because I can't sit idle.  I have to have something to do.  I still felt bad that I wasn't working, but it helped.  I'll get more work soon and then it will be all good and my house will be a mess again because I don't have time to clean. lol  
I should hire a maid :club:

I think it’s pretty crucial, both from a financial and mental health point of view. Working forces me to get out of the house and see other people on a regular basis. If I wasn’t working, I would totally become a hermit and I know from personal experience that it isn’t healthy. My work gives me the best of both worlds - I have an office I can go to, but I’m also able to work from home if needed. Not to mention, work enables you to be financially self-reliant and not depend on others for support.

The thought of working makes me nervous be honest. I always make mistakes and it makes me feel useless.

I also have worked at places I was excluded. I just didn't click with hardly any of them.

TheRealCallie said:
Working is extremely important to your mental health.  Not only for the financial security, but also to keep your mind off things.  I suppose it would depend on your work ethic and whatnot though.  Either way though, I think making your own money and being responsible really helps to show yourself you are good enough or that you're capable.
I don't have any work right now in my second job, so I find myself with time on my hands.  Yesterday, I was going crazy because I had nothing to do.  I went into mad cleaning mode because I can't sit idle.  I have to have something to do.  I still felt bad that I wasn't working, but it helped.  I'll get more work soon and then it will be all good and my house will be a mess again because I don't have time to clean. lol  
I should hire a maid :club:

Yes you're right. I've done 1 days work in almost 3 weeks now and I'm really starting to feel down now. I really don't know what to do though.

Just keep looking for a job. Maybe try something that doesn't involve a lot of people. A mail carrier or paper delivery doesn't have you interacting with a lot of people, so you don't have to be worried about feeling left out so much. I think most people are worried about making mistakes, but mistakes aren't always a bad thing. Maybe try to find something that is focused around something you like to do. Or even see if you can get a job in a place where people are more friendly, like a church or a counseling office.

I really enjoy my work, when I don't have enough the depression creeps in.I basically went from one of my hobbies as a kid and developed it into my career .It brings the money in , keeps the wolf from the door,keeps me motivated and gets me out amongst people which with Social Anxiety the bane of my life , has helped with my confidence.I actually see alot of my customers as friends which really helps with my mental health because I don't have any outside of family.I had a period of unemployment after dropping out of university , I started drinking heavily and just felt so worthless so from that time onwards I've just tried to keep employed whether temp work , permanent or self employed because I just can't cope without it.

Broken_Soul said:
Hi All!

Straight to the point really, how important d'ya think working is for your mental health?

Thanks!

The short answer is that work is hugely beneficial to mental health on multiple levels. Especially if it’s work that you can take pride in and/or work that is important to you for any reason, but even work you dislike has some mental health benefits.

Yeah....
Very important I think.
Ive been unable to work for a week now and it sucks. :(
Stupid corona.
When I started at my job I got a sense of pride that ive never had before. Feels nice to be useful.

Work is very important to ensure you can pay the money needed for 'must haves' like shelter, electricity, water and food. However, there are other things too, like meeting people, building relationships, gaining self-esteem, challenging yourself and feeling valued by society.

I've worked since 1984, had a month where I jacked work and needed to find another job. I felt really unwanted by society in that time, like I was useless, I desperately wanted to work - panicked I suppose, and eventually I got the job I am still in today.

But it can be so booooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiing...............

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a great way of understanding human nature and how the world of work fits into it

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Broken_Soul said:
Hi All!

Thanks!

IMO, it's better for your mind not to work. As long as you have stuff to keep you occupied, which I do.

I don't like going to a place with other people and having some ahole tell me how to do something that they don't know how to do themselves just because they are one pay grade above me. Dealing with co-workers is also a pain in the ass. People make a lot of stupid noise like tapping, listening to their style of music, talking really loud, etc, etc, etc. It's nice not having to deal with any of that crap.

I quit working a decade ago just before I turned 40 and old. Ha! ha! Many of my co-works, friends, and family said I would be bored out of my mine and broke. Well, I have so many different hobbies and activities that I like to do completely by myself I'm rarely bored. I don't even have enough time to get everything accomplished that I want too. 

I have absolutely no desire to go back to work. I've also learned to live on very little money. My savings are lasting just fine. But, the government keeps devaluing our money so it may be a problem at some point in the distant future.

I do not want work or some job to take up the majority of my life like it does most people. You end up putting your best efforts into work and then having the remainder left over for yourself and or your significant other.

Many people have no choice. They have to work. So, IMO, in order to make it more acceptable they brainwash themselves into think it's okay, fun, or even great. Also many people need to have a sense of accomplishment, status, and or power. That's why some people can't give up their jobs to even enjoy their retirement after they've earn it. I have no need for any of those things. I could give a rat's ass if anybody remembers that I even existed.

I don't think I could ever really fully retire it really would be bad for my mental health.What would you do...play golf travel , DIY ?I think as long as my health is good enough to work I'd really like to keep working even if only part time when I hit 65.I'd probably ease off a bit ,not work so hard but life without work at all ....nah.Maybe I'm a bit of a freak but work is so important to me it holds me together , makes me feel happy ,yeah accomplished I suppose  I'd feel lost without it.Fug knows I'm missing my van ,customers at the moment because of the current situation not being able to work..Also I've just recently freshened up a good part of my job because I was following a route , though we'll paid was a bit repetitive ,getting a bit dull so it's frustrating to say the least.I'm sure loads loads of  people that still work after 65 think like me , just my opinion anyway.

Broken_Soul said:
Hi All!

Thanks!

I can honestly say that it is better for ones mental health to work. It gets you out of the house and among the masses. However, right now with the virus, be thankful if you're not.
A friend of mine lost his job at a psychiatric center because he developed cancer & was using too much sick leave. He is on disability & honestly, since he's been sitting alone at home for the past few yrs. the depression has taken over.
He can't even manage to drag himself out of bed to shop or go to his dr. appts. He just sits there wallowing all day every day. He won't answer his phone or respond to any form of messages. It's just not a good idea if you can avoid it.

I used to think my job and its stresses were the reason for my depression and anxiety. Turns out it was life outside the job and I was using the job as an excuse. During my most intense periods of loneliness my work has given me a focus and taken my mind away from things I'd rather not be thinking about. I've gone from hating my job to finding peace with it.

Broken_Soul said:
The thought of working makes me nervous be honest. I always make mistakes and it makes me feel useless.

I also have worked at places I was excluded. I just didn't click with hardly any of them.

I know how you feel. I'm a very clumsy, mistake prone person. A guy I work with is even worse than me. 

Thing is, humans are wired to get things if we practice at them. So, if you're thinking you can't learn a skill and be useful at a job, you're wrong. Practice at anything long enough and you'll master it. Have more faith in yourself.

Working brings benefits and more problems. But you sound like you need a change from your current routine, so I'd suggest giving it a try. You can achieve a lot by working and seeing all that you're achieving can make you happy and give you self-worth. I think the benefits will outweigh the problems.

There's a double-edged sword when it comes to work. Personally, I think everyone should do something to keep them busy, feel productive, or social. Depending on their personality type. :)

I like to feel productive, move fast, and feel needed and accomplished. I think of it as a stress relief, and it can go either direction; toxic atmosphere or people you look forward to talking to everyday. Wether we realize it or not, we invite what we want subconsciously. How? You ignore the toxicity, or you join it. You feel above it, you always will. You feel tired, you'll always be lazy and unfit. You lack motivation, you'll become depressed. Fight it! :p

Breaking those ever so familiar barriers of feeling like you need more "you-time" or... "I don't wanna work...." happens when you have a positive outlook at work. Work can sometimes be just as beneficial to mental health as a vacation. Try not to think you're 'ever' above it or you'll never get the job done. Positive affirmations gets you out of that bed every day. Overworked? Think of how fit you got and got paid for it. That's what I used to think on all my jobs lmao. Gave me more gaming time at home and I could skip the gym membership. Haha.

To be rather blunt, Not wanting to work at a specific job and feeling above it all or a list of excuses is for naive childish mindsets who refuse to see the higher path or large picture. My father whom become bed-ridden still did work constantly on his computer. Kept him sane and financially supported his family like a man.

So, I like say; hard-work and breaking 'that' mental barrier is the most important thing about working. It's an experience everyone should have at least once. No different than a bucket list! More times than not, you WILL feel better about yourself and feel NEEDED and integrated somewhere. :D <3

Latest posts

Back