Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Feminism cont.
Disclaimer
I know there's another thread on this topic, but I can see it's reached 36 pages, and a lot of the time people don't like to post on threads that long because they feel that their thoughts will get lost in the crowd (so to speak). Or maybe I'm just a closet attention whore.. But when I've got this much (and more) to say on a topic, I don't like tossing it on the end of a titanic thread where it may never be seen or replied to. I generally come on to forums because (go figure) I'm lonely. So for me it defeats the purpose if I can't at least gather a little attention to maintain the temporary illusion that my life is worth a damn. PS: I've had a lifelong death-wish, but I'm not suicidal. That said, I'm not here looking for the typical "there there, it'll be alright". I merely explain myself to prevent people from flaming me for one reason or another.

Main topic
https://www.google.com/…/the-subconscious-sexism-of-to…/amp/ an intellectual essay from a clear headed woman. She makes some great points, but only really covers the female view for the most part. Society acts far too often like men don't have struggles. If you're white and male, you have life handed to you. I could probably find a good sized list of male inequalities with just a quick Google search or two; but I will list what is likely number one (or should be) on any given list.

Think about it, what is the number one resource on the planet? First consider what makes a resource, a resource? Value, but what makes something valuable? It's ability to provide happiness to those that posses it. So with that in mind, that would make love the number one resource on the planet, and when it comes to straight men, women hold that resource on a leash. Keep in mind, I'm obviously not talking about countries with arranged marriages. When I make my opinions based on feminism, I'm generally speaking about the country that I live in, not the entire planet.
Men need to fight for the privilege to be with a woman, men need to keep the woman happy. Men are lucky to have a woman, but a man's love is trash; worth nothing, and easily dismissed, ignored, or discarded.

There are inequalities on both sides of the fence. But my frustrations and bias show when the inequalities on my side are scoffed at and ignored. Example: Men complain about being genitally mutilated against their will at birth, and get told by the majority to get over it, or scoffed at like we shouldn't even be complaining about it because it's been happening for so long.. Women complain when they have consensual sex a day(or less) into knowing the dude, and are being refused their right to an abortion... Aaaand society is in an uproar; flag-shipping only the most sympathetic cases of the women that were raped; all while ignoring that the majority of the women in that crowd likely just want an excuse to get drunk and grind on anyone they want without consequence (and at the cost of more tax dollars). Then.. (and here's the one that REALLY burns me..) a bunch of people (likely from the same groups protesting the right to abortion), protesting abortion clinics for using aborted fetuses for stem cell research.. Like.. God forbid they use what you've essentially turned into vaginal garbage, to save lives... Thinking about stuff like this literally makes my head feel like it's going to explode... Like I'm gonna get a damned aneurysm.. The mass stupidity and ignorance is just too much..

More disclaimer mixed with main topic
I have a mental illness, and I am currently working with a psychiatrist to figure it out. So far they've classified it as a potential neurological disorder. I have disordered thoughts and speech, short term memory loss, anxiety, and depression. These are things that I have been dealing with my entire life. It has taken me this long to go about getting diagnosed because I have been fighting my entire life to be seen and treated as 'normal'. I have come to the conclusion after this many years that it is not going to happen..
With that said, I more than anyone, want to see equality among the peoples of this society. But that will never happen so long as people continue to fight only for specific demographics; for to raise one is to lower another. True equality can only be attained when we drop all of the side arguments and protests, and merge them together to fight, not for equality of a single demographic, but for all people.
I mean, especially for a world that's coming up with new mental diagnosis's and sexuality's seemingly every day; what sense does it make to start a new fight for each one?
One final note, people, stop raging at each-other. Shit rolls downhill, so if you're getting shit on, more than likely, it's coming from the people in power that either cause the issues directly or look the other way (IE: unequal gender payment, and the barbaric act of circumcision still being allowed). So bring your fights to the people that can actually make a difference on the wider scale.
And before anyone decides to rain hell down on me (again) for saying things that seem confusing or don't make sense, look up disorganized speech(everything that I say makes sense to me at the time I say it). Don't be ignorant. Take the time to get to know people instead of only judging them based on your interpretation of their words..

To clarify, this was copy/pasted from my Facebook page, so one or two of the things said were directed at people from that page.

Side note: Main topic
Side note, Feminism is taking over TV... Seems like 85-95% of every story driven show on TV is now chick flick + whatever else, and 100% chick flick on valentines day episodes.. Not good chick flick like Titanic, or Pearl Harbor, or 80's/90's romance (Moonstruck, and Ghost used to be a couple of my fav movies); just bad, bad, low budget B-movie level crap that has me skipping multiple scenes in most of the shows I watch. Like, as soon as I see the girl look at the guy with that slightly up and cross-eyed look, I'm grabbin for that remote and skipping the entire predictable scene.. I made it through six seasons of The Blacklist pretty quick..
I'm just thankful that I got Netflix, and this isn't like 80-90's TV where if something sucked, you had to deal with it. Otherwise, I woulda given up on TV by now.
There's six seasons of the blacklist? I only made it to the fourth one. Thought it was ok, but figured it got cancelled. Maybe I should get Netflix again at some point... I'm just sort of alternating between subscriptions, atm I have Amazon and Starz. Probably switch to CBS next for the Star Trek shows. I miss Star trek. 🖖
(02-24-2020, 04:19 PM)kaetic Wrote: There's six seasons of the blacklist? I only made it to the fourth one. Thought it was ok, but figured it got cancelled. Maybe I should get Netflix again at some point... I'm just sort of alternating between subscriptions, atm I have Amazon and Starz. Probably switch to CBS next for the Star Trek shows. I miss Star trek. 🖖

I pirate any shows I can't get off of amazon or netlfix, but tbh, amazon is pretty dry. There was a few really good shows on there, but unless you watch it for the old stuff, it's really not great.. Nothing great has popped up on that in months. Last show I watched on it was "the boys", and that came out around 6'ish months ago.. I've been getting frustrated with the space between good show releases on netflix, but even that's been booming compared to amazon.. Though to be fair, I'm in Canada, so we get about half of the show releases as the US, and those cheap fuckers keep restricting every possible way of us to access the American content.. I say "pirate" but I don't really think that word should count when it comes to the people that can't afford stuff to begin with. It's not like the company is losing any money on me.

IIRC, blacklist got a bit better after the 4th season. I think that's the one that nearly made me stop watching the show.. The one that pretty much turned the entire damned show into an episode of real housewives... every damned scene was focusing on her pregnancy, marriage, or romance shit... And she got that horrid haircut that seemed only to be there to add emphasis to the fact that she was pregnant and helpless.. What really burns me up in TV shows/movies, is when there's such a strong feminist element, that it becomes obvious and in your face. Like every bit of focus is being put into the female character, and the female character is scripted to show anger and frustration when an once of focus is not on her. Like to the extent of "why the fuck are you trying to save the world... FFS.. focus on ME!!!!!"
And really, that's the point where this extremist feminist movement is getting self destructive.. Cuz seeing this kinda stuff actually makes me want to hate women..
As well, art may imitate life, but life has also come to imitate art. Like beauty standards, and general personalities and expectations that people pull from the media. People often use the argument that TV isn't real.. But just because it isn't real, doesn't mean that it doesn't have any affect on the world around us. Many people idolize and even worship the people in the media. So when so many women in the media are portrayed as self centered bitches with high expectations, we start to see more and more women in the real world become like that.. It's not their fault so much as the people in charge of the media tho.
TBH I really only have Amazon bc that's where I did the bulk of my Xmas shopping. Just haven't gotten around to cancelling it yet. I got into The Expanse... Thought that was pretty good. Just got Starz, kind of disappointed with the selection on that one($5 a month for a reason)... But, you know, it's just tv. If it bothered me that much, there are other options.

Are you sure that was the fourth season? I remember them trying to adopt and giving up... Then I left off when she had to go into hiding with what I assume is her father. Maybe I'm wrong about the season... I really only started watching it for James Spader. Love his movies. 🤓

Also I watched The Boys, I liked it. Creative. Very graphically violent... But guess that goes with the premise. 😆
(02-25-2020, 05:07 AM)kaetic Wrote: But, you know, it's just tv. If it bothered me that much, there are other options.

Ya, I'm a real hermit though, and high anxiety.. So a lot of things bother me much more than the average Joe.
I also watched the expanse. I'm not sure if they're still coming out with new seasons for that or not. I kinda forget where I left off, so not sure wether to download episodes or wait for the next season, lol.
Was pretty sure it was the fourth. Btw, the season in which she's on the run is probably the best season, ya should at least watch that. It's the season after that where she gets prego and it turns into crap(the show, not the kid).
(02-23-2020, 07:50 PM)xephier102 Wrote: Society acts far too often like men don't have struggles. If you're white and male, you have life handed to you. I could probably find a good sized list of male inequalities with just a quick Google search or two; but I will list what is likely number one (or should be) on any given list.

No, society does not act like men don't struggle.  Everyone knows humans struggle, regardless of what gender they are.  Are there certain groups that act like that, sure, but there are also groups that say women have no struggles too.  There are groups for everything regarding race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc etc....Everything.  
I'm not saying white men don't have a lot of advantages, but so do minorities.  White men don't get all the benefits minorities do.  I know a guy who got a full ride to college, simply because he was Mexican.  He's rich, he doesn't need it, but he took it anyway.  Why did he get it?  Because he's a minority.  I'm just using that as an example.  I know white people also get scholarships and whatnot.  People are too quick to throw race into everything, IMO. People are people.  Doesn't matter if you are Chinese, Mexican or whatever.  Doesn't matter if you are male or female or whatever.  Doesn't matter if you are disabled or not.  We are all human and yes, we should ALL be equal, but the reality is that it won't ever happen.  Certain females will be equal to men, certain black men will be equal to white men, certain whatever will be equal to whatever.  Every single person will never be equal to every single other person, it's impossible.  But those people who don't feel they are getting equal treatment will rise together and throw a hissy fit.  Some are justified, some are not.  That's the way the world is and the way the world will always be.

(02-23-2020, 07:50 PM)xephier102 Wrote: Think about it, what is the number one resource on the planet? First consider what makes a resource, a resource? Value, but what makes something valuable? It's ability to provide happiness to those that posses it. So with that in mind, that would make love the number one resource on the planet, and when it comes to straight men, women hold that resource on a leash. Keep in mind, I'm obviously not talking about countries with arranged marriages. When I make my opinions based on feminism, I'm generally speaking about the country that I live in, not the entire planet.
Men need to fight for the privilege to be with a woman, men need to keep the woman happy. Men are lucky to have a woman, but a man's love is trash; worth nothing, and easily dismissed, ignored, or discarded.
I'd hardly consider love to be the most valuable resource.  I don't think I'd consider it a resource at all.  Value has little to do with happiness and sorry, but you can live without love.  So no, it's not the most valuable resource, if it's a resource at all.  
Sorry, but women do NOT hold love on a leash.  That's a statement from someone who likely doesn't hold women in high regard.  A statement from someone who likely blames women for whatever issue you have or lack of a relationship.  

(02-23-2020, 07:50 PM)xephier102 Wrote: There are inequalities on both sides of the fence. But my frustrations and bias show when the inequalities on my side are scoffed at and ignored. Example: Men complain about being genitally mutilated against their will at birth, and get told by the majority to get over it, or scoffed at like we shouldn't even be complaining about it because it's been happening for so long..

Okay, there's a HUGE difference between female circumcision and male circumcision.   I'm not saying it's necessarily okay to just go ahead and circumcise a guy without permission, but the difference is that men don't lose much, except skin and gain some health benefits with circumcision. I'm not saying it's 100% beneficial, by any means.  It's also less traumatizing in infants.  Women, however, lose a lot and there are no health benefits and it can lead to several serious complications.  So yeah, there's a huge difference there and that's likely what people are trying to get across.
The rest of this paragraph was a bit confusing to me, so I'm just going to leave it alone, unless you want to try to explain it a different way.

(02-23-2020, 07:50 PM)xephier102 Wrote: I mean, especially for a world that's coming up with new mental diagnosis's and sexuality's seemingly every day; what sense does it make to start a new fight for each one?
Yeah, and those people getting diagnosed with new mental illnesses and becoming those new sexualities are also using them to start wars and also as excuses.

(02-23-2020, 07:50 PM)xephier102 Wrote: Don't be ignorant. Take the time to get to know people instead of only judging them based on your interpretation of their words..
Aren't you basically judging feminists in this post?  

(02-23-2020, 07:50 PM)xephier102 Wrote: Side note, Feminism is taking over TV... Seems like 85-95% of every story driven show on TV is now chick flick + whatever else, and 100% chick flick on valentines day episodes.. Not good chick flick like Titanic, or Pearl Harbor, or 80's/90's romance (Moonstruck, and Ghost used to be a couple of my fav movies); just bad, bad, low budget B-movie level crap that has me skipping multiple scenes in most of the shows I watch. Like, as soon as I see the girl look at the guy with that slightly up and cross-eyed look, I'm grabbin for that remote and skipping the entire predictable scene.. I made it through six seasons of The Blacklist pretty quick..
I'm just thankful that I got Netflix, and this isn't like 80-90's TV where if something sucked, you had to deal with it. Otherwise, I woulda given up on TV by now.

Okay, I'm sorry, but what show/movie doesn't have relationships in them?  Even action movies and horror movies have a good bit of relationship aspect to them.  It's the way the world works.  There are relationships in everything.  Real life and fictional.  So unless you are going to resort to watching documentaries that aren't about people, I'd say you're shit out of luck on that front.  I mean, sure, everything on Lifetime and Hallmark are chick flicky, but I think you're either just now realizing it, whereas you didn't before or you're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill for the sake of.....well, as you put it, attention whoring. lol  

And now we'll wait to see who shits on me for what I said.  Smile
(No, not you, OP)
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 
[Image: 28467734_1679297465465479_46906082594714...e=5F13E812]
It's hard to tell sometimes, there was this one show I thought had promise... The Oasis? Was only in the pilot stage, but it was better than anything else they were piloting at the time. Ended up being removed completely because there was a fuss about it from some religious group. At least that's what I heard the reason was.

But as far as the expanse, I think they just released season 4 on Amazon not too long ago. I hope they're still making it. Sucky way to end the series if they aren't.
(02-25-2020, 10:18 AM)kaetic Wrote: It's hard to tell sometimes, there was this one show I thought had promise... The Oasis? Was only in the pilot stage, but it was better than anything else they were piloting at the time. Ended up being removed completely because there was a fuss about it from some religious group. At least that's what I heard the reason was.

But as far as the expanse, I think they just released season 4 on Amazon not too long ago. I hope they're still making it. Sucky way to end the series if they aren't.

Yea.. That figures.. always shows getting cancelled cuz of idiots wetting themselves over religion or politics.. They're both bullshit, so get over it, cuz TV is the only thing that keeps most of us halfway sane...
(02-25-2020, 10:15 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: Sorry, but women do NOT hold love on a leash.  That's a statement from someone who likely doesn't hold women in high regard.  A statement from someone who likely blames women for whatever issue you have or lack of a relationship. 

Sorry, but that's some presumptuous bullshit right there.. You think that you know someone that well because you've read one or two of my (apparently) badly interpreted posts..??
I blame myself for the parts that are MY fault, but I'll not take the blame for it all. I've got a lot of patience tbh, but one thing I have little patience for is people that cherry pick my words, while ignoring the words that actually argue against their ignorant point.. Honestly, the whole illusion that I am a misogynist is just a prime example of how Americanized society acts in general. spend 15 years kicking a dog, then crucify it when it bites back.. Regardless of how nice and kind and generous and forgiving, the dog was before that point.. I'm 39 years old; I'm not just some ignorant 20 year old throwing my words around cuz the world wasn't handed to me. I've been on dating sites on and off for near 20 years,  revamped multiple profiles multiple times, never one serious reply to my profile from women. I'm not a sexist, not a pig (I don't even care about sex really..), not an asshole, and I don't portray any of that in my profiles, nor do I say anything that I've said here on my profiles; I'm also not an idiot.. I did make a fake profile just to test my theory one time. Listed myself as female, made up some cliche, copy/paste nonsense, didn't even post a picture, had 10-20 replys the first evening (not even exaggerating..).. Even if 98% of those are dick pics, and 1% is psychopaths, that's still a bigger chance of landing a decent guy without even trying, than I'd get at a girl. Then because girls get so many messages consistently, they're SUPER picky about who they'll message back.. whether the specific women have any control over having love on a leash or not, is probably more of a case by case basis, but regardless, as a general rule, they do. Then even if for some odd reason, as a woman you just plain CAN'T find love with a man, you still (generally) have the option to at least get sex, or be artificially inseminated. In other words, you can at least bare children without the need for the whole adoption process, which may or may not allow it depending on a number of factors. And when ya got mild hyper nasal resonance (laments terms: sound part retarded), women tend to treat you like you're a difference species when it comes to the dating world.. However, I think (statistically speaking) more women would be willing to screw their dog than to date me. Just sayin.. Do I sound negative? probably.. A lifetime of being treated like human garbage will do that to a person..

(02-25-2020, 10:15 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: That's the way the world is and the way the world will always be.

This is exactly how most people end their replies to anything that I say in regards to changing the world for the better.. Honestly it seems to me that entire societies have been passively brainwashed from the top down to believe at their core that no good change can ever be made by doing anything but voting for one of three people that will all generally do the exact same thing with their own little agenda tossed in.. One of three people to make thousands of decisions within their term, with all of a handful of decisions that any given person would agree with on average. Everyone is all about the 2-3 decision systems.. 2-3 choices for pres/PM, left/right, capitalism, democrat, communism. It's all about the easy way out.. Prime example: They tried prohibition ONCE, because of all the negative effects of alcohol on society; it didn't work, so they gave up.. Imagine if people raised children like that.. Kid tries to set the curtains on fire, you slap their hand, they do it again, "oh well, we tried, guess we'll be living on the streets from now on until the kid burns us all alive!".

(02-25-2020, 10:15 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: No, society does not act like men don't struggle.  Everyone knows humans struggle, regardless of what gender they are.  Are there certain groups that act like that, sure, but there are also groups that say women have no struggles too.

I didn't mean that every single person in society acts like that. I mean society as a whole, in general, the majority. Most of the minorities generally feel that way cuz they come from other cultures in which the social situation is better, and people aren't mistreated just because of how they look or sound, but their financial system is much worse (often historically because of what the white man did to them in the past). Most women feel that way because they're on the opposite side of the fence and raised with all this BS about how women have to struggle so much harder to get the same things as men, even though that argument is currently dated (or at least diluted) by about 40-50 years.. The white man was in power for so long and did so much fucked up shit in the past that we're generally looked upon as having all the favor, but most people don't take into account the impact that has had on society within the past 100 years.. And the thing about the white men that feel the way I do; we're afraid to gather.. It'd look like a goddamn misogynist/KKK group..

"Okay, there's a HUGE difference between female circumcision and male circumcision.   I'm not saying it's necessarily okay to just go ahead and circumcise a guy without permission, but the difference is that men don't lose much, except skin and gain some health benefits with circumcision. I'm not saying it's 100% beneficial, by any means.  It's also less traumatizing in infants.  Women, however, lose a lot and there are no health benefits and it can lead to several serious complications.  So yeah, there's a huge difference there and that's likely what people are trying to get across. "

I can even it out to be more clear let's go with a hypothetical of women having their nipples cut off at birth, or ear lobes (some part of their body that they can live without). As for "health benefits" that's bullshit. Teach kids to properly clean their Johnson. If it was meant to be cut off, we wouldn't be born with it in the first place (and please don't compare it to the umbelical cord, that thing was attached to the mother and serves 100% of it's purpose before birth).. The foreskin is meant to be there. If you're a woman, consider it like your pussy lips(sorry, don't know the medical term for those..), like, basically, consider having the sensitive pink bits rubbing against cheap cotton underwear that boys are forced to wear (due to lack of ANY options in the 80-90's). What I'm getting at, the sensitive head that is not meant to be exposed, is now dried up and has reduced (damn near no) sensitivity at this point besides under the back part that a little skin covers/contacts. But again, many people don't care to learn the basic facts like this before making arguments for that barbaric practice..
As for how traumatizing it is later in life, uhh.. don't fuckin do it then? I generally make it a practice for myself not to cut random body parts off for no fukin reason. Just sayin.. And if kids don't clean it right and it gets infected, well, that's on them.. shouldn't be denying that part more millions of infants for their entire lives because of the few that don't clean it. and I make that argument objectively. If I happened to be one of those kids, ah well, I fucked up. I wouldn't expect millions of other people to have that taken away cuz I fucked up.. That's just selfish.. A good comparison is pulling out all of a kid's adult teeth and replacing them with dentures; lot less traumatizing than multiple dentist visits over their lifetime, tooth pains, abscess's that may lead to a potentially mortal outcome. Frankly, I'd have preferred that over circumcision.. It's bad enough that I was born with a cleft pallet, so in my mother's words, the first thing that she felt when she saw me was "horror". This makes the story of my birth, that my mother was horrified of me, then gave the ok for the Dr to mutilate my genitals.. awesome way to come into the world.. Like all the abuse afterwards wasn't bad enough..

"Aren't you basically judging feminists in this post?"
Mainstream ,jump the bandwagon, hater, feminists, yes. When I speak of such things, I'm usually speaking of the general, or the mainstream. I'm not one to judge an entire demographic of any kind based on it's primary component.

"but I think you're either just now realizing it"
Maybe yes, but also no. Hollywood used to know how to do romance, not anymore.. Now it's just an excuse to watch people fuck or make out with no depth whatsoever to the relationship.. There's a very small show/actor base that brings actual emotion to these scenes; like in the most recent season of fear the walking dead. I'm not like some emotionless psychopath that bounces his remote off the wall every-time he sees a guy and girl look at each-other. But the amount of absolute nonsense relationships is astounding.. and as well kissing in scenes where hugging would make a lot more sense and make for a stronger emotional connection for the viewer. Or like the scenes of, "Ok, we're being shot at, we've got 5 minutes to save the world, so lets spend two minutes looking at each-other all stupid before making out for another two minutes, then do this!". Naw.. I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse.. There's a difference between relationships in shows, and random make-out/fuck scenes every 5-10 minutes of a show, and generally in situations that just don't make no damn sense.. I've gotta ask (if you don't mind), how old are you? Like, were you around for the 80's-90's, or are you just speculating?
If the woman struggle is over then I guess the black struggle is too?
Whining over a thing 100 years ago is a no go?

Anyways. 
I think it depends on where you are at and clearly who you surround yourself with. 
Bitches and dickheads are gonna be just that... It's their choice. Doesn't make it the norm of the society in general.
[Image: tenor.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feminism from all perspectives Brennabean 351 68,541 09-12-2019, 06:51 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  Feminism and Women of Color ghbarnaby2 94 14,771 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Last Post: EveWasFramed