Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Sloth considered worse than Lust, Gluttony and Greed?
Hello everyone, I’ve been reading a lot about the 7 Deadly Sins, because I’m doing a small project about Dante’s Inferno, but with a twist.  The difference will be that it’ll be updated, reflecting more the 20th/21st Centuries, rather than the 13th/14th Centuries.

In the original poem, Dante used 4 of the 7 (Lust, Gluttony, Greed & Wrath) or 5, if the Sullen also count as the Slothful.  I want to use all of them.  When arranged from severity, he ordered them like this (from least to most): Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride.  I mostly agree with the order, except Sloth.  I’ll admit, I’m nobody to debate the genius of Dante, he understood the concept of sin more than I did and had his reasoning to organize them like that, but after reading about it, I just can’t see why it’s considered worse than the first three. 

It is the most difficult to explain of the seven, with no agreeable definition as to whether is physical or mental.  They include, 1) a lack of any feeling about self or others (boredom, rancor, apathy, and a passive inert or sluggish mentation); 2) a cessation of motion and an indifference to work (laziness, idleness, and indolence); 3) a failure to do things that one should do (By this definition, evil exists when "good" people fail to act); 4) Depression. 

Whatever the answer is, the one thing they all have in common is that it mostly about oneself and that is why I can’t see it as worse than the other three.  Unlike the rest of the sins, which are about committing immoral acts with/to others, sloth is a sin of omitting responsibilities and it only involves one individual.  In a way, you could say it is involving others by not indirectly helping them through every day actions, but at the same time, a slothful isn’t hurting those around him, at most, he/she could just be a hindrance and annoy close acquaintances. At the end of the day, I see it as some sort of “neutral” sin; they’re not doing good or bad to themselves and others, again, other than being cumbersome.

Therefore, in my project, I want to put Sloth before Lust, because it is what makes sense to me.  Sloth doesn’t involve anyone else; Lust involves pleasure with others; Gluttony prevents a basic human need to others; Greed prevents psychological and safety needs to others; Wrath causes violence to others; Envy causes resentment towards others and Pride causes to hate others on a larger scale.

So what do you all think?  Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts?  Do you think Sloth is worse than the other three?  If so, tell me why.  By the way people, I have also read that the deadly sins really don’t have a severity hierarchy and that they’re all considered equal, so could I be thinking too much about this?  Let me know.
I think it's silly to rank them... So I guess I agree with the last part of your post. They're all "deadly sins" which makes them equally "bad".
Though my view of these "sins" could be different than Dante's just because of the time period. I doubt they had a lot of knowledge about STDs or why else would he rank that as least severe...

One thing I vehemently disagree with in your post is equating depression to sloth.

It's possible that sloth could lead to depression and suicide (snowball effect could be applied to any of the other sins as well)... But that's how I see all the sins. They aren't that bad in and of themselves but taken to the extreme they can have terrible consequences. And to rank which one is worse... Is imo pointless.
That's just one opinion. There are many, many lists ranking the sins out there, so I don't see why you couldn't put them in your own order.
But, if your project is based solely on Dante's Inferno, I would say keep the same order. If it's only loosely based on it, do it your way.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 
[Image: 28467734_1679297465465479_46906082594714...e=5F13E812]
(02-25-2020, 07:45 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: But, if your project is based solely on Dante's Inferno, I would say keep the same order.  If it's only loosely based on it, do it your way.

I wish I could do it my own way, but I think I'm gonna end up leaving it as he listed them, because I've gotten a couple of answers from reddit, explaining me why it's worse, yet I still don't understand.

I would wager to say is that it's because Sloth is knowing that the good and choosing not to do it. With Lust, Gluttony, and Greed, they are distorted desires for good, so the aim is still at the good even if disordered. That's my initial thought anyways.

Sloth has been distorted in English so let's use another word that is a more accurate translation: acedia.
Sometimes acedia is about being slothful, but other times it can be doing too much, but none of what you are doing is actually important. For example if you come home for work, make dinner and decide to read ahead on a training you have the next day. You get to reading a few other related things and then you realize several hours have gone by and you need to go to sleep in 10 minutes, but you haven't prayed yet. Instead of going through your normal prayer routine you shoot off a couple of Our Fathers while you are brushing your teeth and getting your sleeping clothes on and get to bed.
You were active that entire time doing something, but you suffered under the sin of acedia for not doing what you should have been doing.

The second answer is a neat explanation, but I still can't see why it's worse than having too much sex, overeating and wanting too much about something.
I don't know, maybe it's because I'm focusing too much on how each sin involves others in a physical and a mental way, instead of in a spiritual way.
Perhaps it's to do with limiting factors? With lust greed and gluttony there is a physical limit to how much you can indulge in that sin before the body says it's had enough and either can't do it or you die. Sloth is the first of the deadly sins where this IS no limiting factor but, as you say, it mostly involves the self so that's why it's at that end of the unlimited sins?

I'm not sure I'm explaining that idea very well. And it's just a thought. Hope it helps.
I'm an Optimistic Pessimist. I'm absolutely POSITIVE that it's all going to go horribly wrong...

Marge: I'm not afraid
Grampa: Then you're not paying close enough attention
(from episode entitled 'Strong Arms of the Ma')

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man Made Earthquakes - The Decline of LOVE due to Greed Phaedron 0 1,645 08-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Phaedron
  what would be the WORSE way to die? Just_Some_Dude 25 6,134 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Autumntranspire