Anyone had, or know someone that's had fatal symptoms from abscess teeth?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xephier102

Reaction score
Disclaimer:
Do not tell me to go to a Dr.. if I wanted to do that, or even thought for a second that it'd yield anything but a complete waste of my time, I'd have done it.. I live in a one Dr town and she is all but useless. Unless I roll up in there on a stretcher, she ain't gonna do a thing but poke me a few times and tell me in the nicest way that I'm making honeysuckle up and to go home..

I know for a fact that I've had abscesses for years, and I know that you can die from sepsis or the infection working it's way into your brain. What I'd like is to hear from people that have actually had experience. Things like, how fast can you go from zero to dead. Are there things to look out for, things that may often get ignored but are a sign that you're in for a fatal outcome? Is death always preceded by a real bad tooth/headache? Since I have depression, anxiety, and a.. stationary.. lifestyle; the Dr pretty much will not do anything serious unless I come in there vomiting blood from my eyeballs, or someshit.

Also, with my mental disorders of which have not been fully diagnosed; tbh I'm never really sure of myself, of what I'm feeling, what I've felt, the relative severity of anything.. In short, I get the sense that there may be vital things I'm leaving out when I do talk to the Dr. hence why I need more information from those that have experienced this kind of thing.

Edit: also don't tell me to go to the dentist. I live in Canada, and.. well.. money.. Living in Canada when it comes to dental is like living in America when it comes to general health care.

If you have an abscess tooth... Wouldn't it show up on an x-ray?

Go to a dentist... A different one if you've already been to one and you aren't happy with the answer you got. If you really have one, there's nothing to be gained from asking us... You need someone to pull the tooth.

Edit
I see I wasn't supposed to say that now... Too bad. Why ask for help if you don't actually want it?

Even though you don't want to hear it, kaetic is right. If you are talking about a tooth abscess then you need to see a dentist. They are the ones that identify and deal with that condition.

kaetic said:
If you have an abscess tooth... Wouldn't it show up on an x-ray?

Go to a dentist... A different one if you've already been to one and you aren't happy with the answer you got. If you really have one, there's nothing to be gained from asking us... You need someone to pull the tooth.

Edit
I see I wasn't supposed to say that now... Too bad. Why ask for help if you don't actually want it?

/FACEPALM.... I specified exactly why, and the information that I require, then you reply by saying one of the two things I requested not to be said... If I was gonna go to a dentist, why the F would I be here asking questions...? Sorry, but the lack of logic is just astounding...

With that said, I seriously have to ask. Just as a general rule, do people actually read, and make any serious attempt to comprehend what they're reading, before making replies? I mean, I've run into this kinda stuff a lot in the past.. I know I don't word stuff right all the time, but I feel I was pretty clear on this one..

Also, apologies for any apparently undue attitude. Due to my mild hyper nasal resonance, and general social issues, I've been treated like an idiot by people for most of my life. So I have very little patience for stupidity, and exponentially less for ignorance (the ability to learn but choice not to do so, also often coupled with snarky, or disrespectful dialog).

Minus said:
Even though you don't want to hear it, kaetic is right.  If you are talking about a tooth abscess then you need to see a dentist. They are the ones that identify and deal with that condition.

Send me money. Otherwise, I don't want to hear another person mention a FXXXing dentist. Thank you.
I know the classic phrase is "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", but the more operative phrase is "if you don't have anything useful to say, then thank you for the sentiment, have a nice day."

I mean, seriously, this "go to a Dr/dentist" is rhetorical and repetitious.. if that was my plan, I wouldn't be here asking questions. people telling me to do that, even after I specifically remarked not to; is nothing short of agitating... Do people have any sense of critical thinking, any brains of their own, or only "follow the book, do what you're told!" driven into their brain from birth, bullshit? Like, if you don't like how things are, vote for someone else! Meanwhile, whomever is voted for will be working under the same system that was put in place long before they were born. No one person in Canada or America can make a serious lasting difference.. And yet, the masses still believe that voting is the best/only way to make change... Sometimes I feel like the only person with their eyes open, just wading through a sea of deaf and blind individuals..

A funeral will likely cost more than a dentist visit. You will likely just get a massive dose of antibiotics and the tooth pulled.

It doesn't matter how long it takes or how much it costs, if you don't want to die, go to the dentist. Most people can't afford that kind of dental bill or any other medical bill. Doesn't matter, if it's a major problem, just go. Stop making excuses. So you go into debt, welcome to adulthood.

You know... The only thing I missed was your edit, as I corrected in my own reply. So "undue attitude" aside, I don't understand why suggesting a dentist is such a horrible idea.

You want info because you think you're leaving something out when talking to the doctor... But you don't actually want to fix the problem. Kind of makes me think you just want to be prescribed pain pills for a nonexistent condition. That's the ONLY thing that makes sense from what you've posted. No wonder your doctor is refusing you.

Go ahead and rant, I'm done trying to help.

TheRealCallie said:
A funeral will likely cost more than a dentist visit.  You will likely just get a massive dose of antibiotics and the tooth pulled.  

It doesn't matter how long it takes or how much it costs, if you don't want to die, go to the dentist.  Most people can't afford that kind of dental bill or any other medical bill.  Doesn't matter, if it's a major problem, just go. Stop making excuses.  So you go into debt, welcome to adulthood.

Jesus.. what do people not get when you tell them it costs money... I'd love to just go and get a massive  private yacht and worry about the price later, but that's not reality..

kaetic said:
You know... The only thing I missed was your edit, as I corrected in my own reply. So "undue attitude" aside, I don't understand why suggesting a dentist is such a horrible idea.

You want info because you think you're leaving something out when talking to the doctor... But you don't actually want to fix the problem. Kind of makes me think you just want to be prescribed pain pills for a nonexistent condition. That's the ONLY thing that makes sense from what you've posted. No wonder your doctor is refusing you.

Go ahead and rant, I'm done trying to help.

Seems the dentist thing is the ONLY thing you read, not the only thing you missed... Here, let me highlight the key component of the OP. Try to get someone more literate to help you translate this into whatever language you natively speak.
Also, with my mental disorders of which have not been fully diagnosed; tbh I'm never really sure of myself, of what I'm feeling, what I've felt, the relative severity of anything.. In short, I get the sense that there may be vital things I'm leaving out when I do talk to the Dr. hence why I need more information from those that have experienced this kind of thing.

People often act like I'm demanding because of how overly specific I am when I do ask for something, but it's to weed out people like you that focus only on giving the most redundant advice possible and seemingly trying their very best to give me a goddamn aneurysm...

I know people aren't used to talking to other people with a brain, so they assume that Dr's and dentists are like, some form of corporeal beings that transcend the rest of humanity, and can tell everything that's wrong with us just by looking at us and gazing into our souls, or w.e the fresia... And that no one else is capable of comprehending the knowledge that these great fantastic beings are privy to. Also the blind ignorance regarding anything Dr/dentist related; considering that America, one of the biggest countries in the world, also has one of the worst health care systems, and not everyone is able to instantly access whatever resource they want whenever they want/need it.. I guess I should have added that 'only smart/experienced people need apply' in terms of replying to this thread. Like, don't people learn these forms of basics in elementary? If you don't know the answer, don't fill in the answer box with irrelevant information, cuz 10X20-15, does not = green. Apologies to anyone that I may have offended, that just happened to be having a major stroke at the time of the reply.

xephier102 said:
TheRealCallie said:
A funeral will likely cost more than a dentist visit.  You will likely just get a massive dose of antibiotics and the tooth pulled.  

It doesn't matter how long it takes or how much it costs, if you don't want to die, go to the dentist.  Most people can't afford that kind of dental bill or any other medical bill.  Doesn't matter, if it's a major problem, just go. Stop making excuses.  So you go into debt, welcome to adulthood.

Jesus.. what do people not get when you tell them it costs money... I'd love to just go and get a massive  private yacht and worry about the price later, but that's not reality..

Medical debt is different than buying stupid frivolous honeysuckle.  
Also, Mr. Let's insult everyone because clearly you are so superior to everyone else, try actually reading what people are saying instead of just seeing what you want to see like you accuse all of us of doing.  
Now, instead of whining and bitching about us and trying to make us confirm to you, try a **** Google search next time.  Though, even that will tell you to GO TO A DENTIST. 
Oh and lastly, you could try getting creative and going to an emergency room or urgent care after the dentists close if it's as bad as you say it is, they will likely treat it at least a little.

Nope...never died from a tooth abcess...BUT - I have suffered through 2 of them and can honestly say I wouldn’t wish that type of pain and suffering on my worst enemy.

My second abcess, in an incisor tooth beside my front teeth, caused me days and days of pure, unrelenting agony - throbbing and endless pain. Like you, I also live in Canada and at the time didn’t have dental insurance, so I tried to manage it with painkillers, hoping it would ease. Nope. I got to the point where the entire right-side of my face swelled up so bad my eye was squeezed shut, along with extreme vomiting - couldn’t hold a thing down, not even water. It was the most brutal experience of my life. I ended up dragging myself to the emergency room, where they gave me antibiotics and morphine pills to deal with the pain. After the swelling and infection were under control, I had the tooth pulled.

I highly recommend you check into low-income dental care, or go to the hospital. Places like the Salvation Army often have programs for low-income dental care - we have one in our small city. This means you will NOT have to pay for treatment, as I see from reading previous posts that money is an issue. Mind you, this also means they will likely pull the tooth rather than treatment to save it, but better a missing tooth than possible death from sepsis. You do not want to allow an abcess to get worse, trust me on this. Take care!

ringwood said:
Nope...never died from a tooth abcess...BUT - I have suffered through 2 of them and can honestly say I wouldn’t wish that type of pain and suffering on my worst enemy.

My second abcess, in an incisor tooth beside my front teeth, caused me days and days of pure, unrelenting agony - throbbing and endless pain. Like you, I also live in Canada and at the time didn’t have dental insurance, so I tried to manage it with painkillers, hoping it would ease. Nope. I got to the point where the entire right-side of my face swelled up so bad my eye was squeezed shut, along with extreme vomiting - couldn’t hold a thing down, not even water. It was the most brutal experience of my life. I ended up dragging myself to the emergency room, where they gave me antibiotics and morphine pills to deal with the pain. After the swelling and infection were under control, I had the tooth pulled.

I highly recommend you check into low-income dental care, or go to the hospital. Places like the Salvation Army often have programs for low-income dental care - we have one in our small city. This means you will NOT have to pay for treatment, as I see from reading previous posts that money is an issue. Mind you, this also means they will likely pull the tooth rather than treatment to save it, but better a missing tooth than possible death from sepsis. You do not want to allow an abcess to get worse, trust me on this. Take care!

Finally, someone that actually read the OP before replying.. Tbh, I tried salvation army option but their wait-list is 6-8 months just for an appointment to check if you're eligible for treatment. I am not good for keeping up with appointments that far into the future. I lost the card for it and ended up finding it a few days after the appointment. My level of focus just isn't there for that honeysuckle.. shouldn't have to wait that long. This stupid country irritates me.. greedy politicians get by on saying dental is purely aesthetic, and therefore it don't get covered by health care.. greedy pigfuckers...  Also tried going in to the hospital in Cranbrook (the only place reasonably close to this town), and there's one Dr there that deals with dental honeysuckle, he's 'on call' and I was told he would call me back, went in several times to check back in, guy never called me. Pretty sure the only cases they deal with are when it gets as bad as yours was. I've specifically gone to the clinic here to talk about my chest pains and such, idk why the other people replying on this thread act like I haven't.. As I said, they won't do anything beyond poke and prod me a bit and send me home, unless I go in there with something visually, and undeniably in need of treatment..

TheRealCallie said:
xephier102 said:
TheRealCallie said:

Medical debt is different than buying stupid frivolous honeysuckle.  
Also, Mr. Let's insult everyone because clearly you are so superior to everyone else, try actually reading what people are saying instead of just seeing what you want to see like you accuse all of us of doing.  
Now, instead of whining and bitching about us and trying to make us confirm to you, try a **** Google search next time.  Though, even that will tell you to GO TO A DENTIST. 
Oh and lastly, you could try getting creative and going to an emergency room or urgent care after the dentists close if it's as bad as you say it is, they will likely treat it at least a little.

In my experience, dentists aren't like random bars from TV shows and movies "just put it on my tab!".. If it was that easy, I'd just get 50k worth of dental done and wipe it out when I eventually claim bankruptcy (sadly, getting my teeth properly done would cost about that much, or more, and I'm not even talking about gold/diamond caps either..).
I consider it to be an insult to me when I specifically in the OP, ask for people not to say something and they say only the thing I told them not to say. In retrospect, I should have just lied and said I'm a dental student looking to do a report for my class and I need to document people's experience with these types of cases.  I'm sure you'd be irritated too if you specifically asked people not to reply with X thing, and they only replied with X thing, while offering none of the information that you asked for. If I wanted that level of blind ignorance, I would have done a google search (like that time I tried to find out about my stomach pains, and 95+% of the results involved having female parts..).

You can put on this smug superior attitude all you want but you don't bring a car to an accountant to get it fixed. I'm sorry that it puts you in a tizzy when people point out that you are trying the wrong kind of doctor.

Cranbrook? Huh...small world. That’s my neck of the woods.

Yes, I would imagine the Salvation Army would have a wait list for treatment. I understand the forgetting of appointments that far in the future, happens to me too. I have to write it down for sure. Any chance you could make another appointment, and request they give you a reminder email/call a day or two beforehand? As well as writing it down somewhere - maybe a reminder on your cell phone or tablet (if you own them). It doesn’t sound like the dental need is super urgent (yet), but dental issues can creep up quickly.

And yes - pretty sure dental treatment at the hospital is only when it’s a severe case. I completely agree with you about dental care in Canada - it should be part of our basic medical care. At the very least, regular check-ups/cavity treatment and cleanings. Teeth are an integral part of health. I lived without dental coverage for a good chunk of my life and I have honeysuckle teeth. Once I got decent coverage, I had over $15,000 worth of work done. If I’d been able to access even a minimum of care when I was younger, my teeth probably wouldn’t have been so bad.

Anyway, hope you get things sorted! Cheers!

In addition to the smugness, you act like Canada corners the market on dental costs. I can assure you that's not the case. I know all about the cost of dental bills. I had to save up $6000 for my son to get braces. Have to save up again for my other son to get braces. My ex paid a pretty penny after not taking care of his teeth. As did my mom after other medical issues basically ate her teeth away.

I never said the bills just go away. Find a dentist that will do a payment plan or find a company that will loan you the money so you can get the work done. I would assume Canada has a program specifically for medical bills like America does.
But, it kind of sounds like you are just looking for pity here since you only want to insult us.

Also, last I checked, this was still a public forum and you don't make the rules, meaning we can post what we want, as long as it doesn't go against the forum rules...such as the one about insulting people which you seem to break often.

Latest posts

Back