Constructive critisism please

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xephier102

Reaction score
I have been working on this for the past few months as my first serious project in Maya. I would just like some constructive criticism on it (if there is any to be had).  I mean, to me it looks fine (mostly, it's still a WIP and a lot of touching up to do), but it's easy enough to develop a bias to your own work. So secondary opinions are good.

Side note, most of the textures/colors are just there for show. The hair colors I might leave as is, but the rest are just flat color on the polygons in order to give a better idea of the final likeness.

vKcDH3j.png

Oh, for those of you that are unsure, This would be Wilykat from the 2011 remake of the Thundercats cartoon.

I\ said:
Looks good to me. :)

Thank you. Any detail though, likes, dislikes, parts that could maybe use improvement in order to be more correct, or suggestions in general. I was basically going for a good cross between a real life boy and the actual Wilykat character. I am strongly considering adding a thin coat of fur to his body. You don't directly see it in the show on an obvious level, but you notice in certain areas like the shoulders and legs on the adult thundercats. I assume that wilykit and kat are furry as well, but that it's just shorter. Sides, to me, furless skin for them would look a tad odd..

Well I don't actually know THIS version of Wily Kat - I remember the old version - but I looked it up and what you have here looks comparable to what I found online.

Could use more texturing but, if I think you said you were going to do that later? If I read your bit at the top right (not an artist but my daughter is and I don't understand half of what she says either).

A coat of fur sounds good - and makes sense too. You could always do two versions, one with and one without so that you can do a comparison - see which version you like better.

As to what looks good - the hair/fur that is there. I understand that's hard to do. I also like the slightly lost look on his face - like he's being told off by an adult. I seem to remember he got into scrapes a lot in the cartoon so I figure he'd get that expression at times. Does any of that help?

I\ said:
Well I don't actually know THIS version of Wily Kat - I remember the old version - but I looked it up and what you have here looks comparable to what I found online.

Could use more texturing but, if I think you said you were going to do that later? If I read your bit at the top right (not an artist but my daughter is and I don't understand half of what she says either).

A coat of fur sounds good - and makes sense too. You could always do two versions, one with and one without so that you can do a comparison - see which version you like better.

As to what looks good - the hair/fur that is there. I understand that's hard to do. I also like the slightly lost look on his face - like he's being told off by an adult. I seem to remember he got into scrapes a lot in the cartoon so I figure he'd get that expression at times. Does any of that help?
Lol.. I like that you commented on his expression. He's actually mostly expressionless, since this is his default stance. However I did move his eyes up a bit to give a bit of a sense of an expression. 

Ya, doing textures later. Textures, shaders, colors .etc. the shaders are what will add the depth and make it actually look like he's wearing clothes (rather than those blank, flat things he's wearing).

I actually managed to correct several things with the anatomy while working on the Wilykit variation. Like for one, the head was forward too much and the skull had an odd shape on the back side, though granted, most of that was covered by the hair anyways, but I'm a sucker for detail..
But ya, when I originally did the head, I was just kinda freestyle since I had no idea what I was doing. I did start with a default human model shape, but it was a full grown adult male model, so it took quite a bit of refining to get it down to what it is. I watched this great video on modeling the human skull the other day. Guess some of that rubbed off on me, cuz I immediately noticed some fixes that needed doing when I removed the hair.

Btw, this is all done in layers pretty much, like most things can be turned off, made invisible, clicked through (if desired) .etc. this is why I like 3D so much. I'm not great at creation from scratch, but I do alright in editing.

My daughter uses layers for her graphic art. I gather it helps.

Basically - it looks good. Will you be posting the final image when you've got it all done?

I\ said:
My daughter uses layers for her graphic art. I gather it helps.

Basically - it looks good. Will you be posting the final image when you've got it all done?

Well, when it's all done, I'll do an animated video, but considering it's a WIP and I'm still learning certain aspects, I can't say when that'll be.

Personally as a pencil drawing artist with absolutely no formal art education. I think it looks wonderful! I’d really love to see what it looks like later on after you have added a bit more detail. Is there something you feel it is missing?

Autumntranspire said:
Personally as a pencil drawing artist with absolutely no formal art education. I think it looks wonderful! I’d really love to see what it looks like later on after you have added a bit more detail. Is there something you feel it is missing?

Well.. I did fix up the anatomy a bit, and that was one of the things that I initially felt was off. In general my main worry is the shape/proportions. It may be hard to tell before properly rigging the face and getting those teeth and the inner mouth done, but I just want to make sure he'll look right in more dynamic settings, and with more extreme emotions. Also regardless of whether I make him furry or not, I will be putting in real hair for his eyebrows. Like I said, all a work in progress, but the jest of it is, I want to make sure that I don't miss anything that's going to make me have to redo the entire rigging after I'm done it. 

To be fair, I should probably grab renders from more angles in order to give a better idea of what may need fixing, but considering I basically took a 3D adult human head and morphed it it look like a 2D cat-child head, I just want to make sure it's not gonna come out looking weird or alien-like.

Latest posts

Back