People can be nice (sometimes)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm Fine

Reaction score
Ok, I work in a shop on the tills and, the other day, there were two young girls. Just at that awkward age where they're old enough to be self-conscious but young enough not to know how to handle that.

They were trying to buy a couple of little items - nothing exactly essential - but their card kept being declined. I let them try several times just in case - but it was obvious it wasn't going to work. I asked if they had any other way to pay but they didn't - all they had was their bus fare. Things were getting awkward now - they were embarrassed and I knew I was going to have to explain their options to them (there was a queue building after all) - when the person next in line piped up and asked how much they were short.I told them - it was only a couple of quid. 

And they paid for them.

The girls were genuinely surprised - embarrassed but pleased. There was a big round of thank you's from them - and from me. And then the girls got to go on their way WITH their items.

So... it doesn't happen often but - just occasionally - people can be nice.

Yes that was quite nice :)

Yes, it's a great way to teach the youth that you don't have to be responsible because there's always going to be someone there to bail you out. I bet they have lots of participation trophies at home that are identical to the first place trophies the other girls worked hard to earn.  :D

Considering how embarrassed they were at the card being declined, I think they'll be more careful in future. And if not, I doubt that there'll be a repeat performance of someone bailing them out. That kind of thing is a rarity not the norm so, the opportunity for them to learn that things don't get handed to them will probably still be coming their way.

Anyway, I wasn't actually concerned with them learning that kind of thing (not my job to teach them the world is a cruel, harsh place - they'll get that lesson without my help). I was more surprised that someone did something relatively altruistic (ok, they got the line moving and kudos for being nice but other than that...)

Hope that makes sense, anyway.

Latest posts

Back