Another lonely person

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoredTypist

Reaction score
I've never had many friends growing up. At school, I was always that one person everyone knew and said hi to but never bothered to be friends with. I was never that kid that went to parties or went out on Friday nights. I've always been a stay-at-home person. 

In 2018 I got diagnosed with depression and I am still taking antidepressants. That didn't really help with the friends' situation. 

I finished school a year ago, and from there I kept in touch with a group of 5 people. I consider them my best friends. Unfortunately, however, as time passes, we trust each other less, talk to each other less, and care about each other less. In that group, I only talk to one person on a daily basis, and that's pretty much the only friend I have, that does care for me and eventually talks to me and genuinely cares to know if I'm doing fine. 

It feels terrible to be alone. I am always there for when people need to get stuff off their chests, but I've seen anyone else worry about me or how I'm feeling or what I'm going through in a while now.
I'm just waiting to see if it does get better. I try to stay positive every day and keep my life moving but I really don't feel happy anymore. I try to put on a mask for my parents not to worry but the truth is I really feel lonely and feel like I have no friends. 

I guess it sucks to be me.

If you're not struggling to get outdoors then there may well be many local groups where you will make friends, if you just keep going. Walking groups are an excellent way of getting to know new people. Unlikely you'll be buddies with someone after your first walk but give it 6 months and 10-20 under your belt and not only will you be fitter but will become a familiar face and this is where friendships start to be born.

You may well be one of the younger ones to begin with, but it won't be walking with a load of geriatrics and likely that because you're younger and fitter you'll progress to a younger crowd doing more strenuous hikes, weekends away etc

Not sure if you're in the US or not, but Meetups is a pretty good start and popular in any country. Just sign up, and you never know....

https://www.meetup.com/cities/us/

Also a UK version etc

Hey Bored, I'm sorry for what you're going through.
Try not to be too hard on yourself. I'm in my 40's and my good friend list right around 5, give or take. And if I think about it, it's always been about that many. The friends change as I've changed. I think it's pretty normal. And for you, right after graduation, this really could be just the natural friend-changeover for this stage of your life.
I'm w/ livebreathsmile, just get out there and expose yourself to people and friendships will come. I would also add church as a great place to meet people and build relationships.

I agree with SirBacon, it's natural for friendships to change as your life changes - even if it isn't fun when it's happening. It sounds like you and your former social circle are naturally drifting apart. Even if you push really hard to keep yourselves together as a group (which can come across as creepy if you're not really lucky) it'll never REALLY be the same as when you were all at school together. You were in the same place, experiencing the same things - that's what bound you together and that's no longer true.

The only thing I can suggest is to try joining other groups - as has already been suggested. Try and find other people who have similar interests to you. Maybe, in time, friendships will grow. These things never happen overnight - so be patient.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back