Human-Skin Lanterns and other True-life Oddities

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August Campbell

My ultimate dream came true.
Reaction score
Real life can be more bizarre than the movies.  In this thread, I hope to garner those true-life oddities. Some of them can be old ones such as the Human-Skin Lanterns--or the Oddities can also come from current events.
To introduce the thread, I'll begin with the human-skin lanterns. Specifically, those were lamp-shades made of human-skin.  Those were made by John Gein who was quite an oddball.  But in his day, he was quite famous because there is even a 1-hour documentary about him on YouTube.  His human-skin lanterns were bizarre, but I guess you could also call them macabre.
So if anybody else can contribute any other True-life Oddities to this thread, I would be very interested.  As the saying goes--Truth is Stranger Than Fiction.

That looks like a fun place.

Rodent said:
Just here to say: His name was Ed Gein. Edward Theodore Gein. Not John...

Okay, Rodent, thanks for the correction.  Actually I knew it was Ed so I don't know how the blooper slipped by.

MissBehave said:
[youtube]d5aeFRp7Qzg[/youtube]

Well..
Does this count as odd?
<3

Yes, Miss B, I suppose it is.  While you're at it about the Chinese, let me add that the Siamese twins were actually Chinese. But when they were found, they were living in Siam, so they are called Siamese twins.  And that became the term to name those whose bodies are anatomically conjoined together.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Residents of an apartment building in Kerala, India, were surprised on February 3rd 2020, when a mixture of beer, brandy, and rum began flowing from their kitchen faucets instead of water. Officials told the BBC that about 6,000 liters of alcohol confiscated on court orders had been buried in a pit nearby, but it seeped through the soil into the well used as a water source for the building.[/font]

Firefighters were called to a farm near Bramham, Leeds in England on March 7th to put out a fire in a large pig pen. At this particular farm the pigs wear pedometers to prove that they are free range. But one of those gadgets was the probable cause of the blaze, firefighters said.  They theorize that one of the pigs ate one of the pedometers, then passed it in its poop, sparking a fire in the pen's hay.  The culprit was the copper in the battery reacting with the pig poop. No pigs were hurt in the fire.

Wanda Bedenbaugh was driving through Texas when she noticed something in the street. "I thought it was a box," she said. "But as I went past, I saw an infant car-seat upside down and then I saw a baby's head."  Bedenbaugh pulled the baby into her pickup truck and took it to a hospital. A few minutes later a woman came to claim the child. She said she had strapped the baby in the car seat and placed it on top of the car. Then she became distracted as she loaded her two other children into the car and, forgetting the baby on the roof, she drove away.

Oh jeez.. 
That story reminded me of this documentary about this kid that had ingested drainage cleaner fluid thingy. His mom was busy doing something and had looked away for a little while. Basically, his throath had started to melt away and he needed a lot of surgeries to try to fix it. This mom had been unfocused for a little while and that was all it took and was now beating herself up over it.
Reading the YouTube comments made by other women made me sick. Basically calling her a unfit mother and that she should be sent to jail. 
I think ever parent has had moments where they got distracted, some got lucky and others didn't. Yet they see fit to attack others for it. 
Alright... Ramble over. 💗

James Malinowski, who chews tobacco soaked in brandy, has been cleared of driving while intoxicated. Malinowski, 36, of Waukesha Wisconsin was charged after he was arrested and took a breathalyzer test. The case was dismissed in court because the judge said his brandy-soaked tobacco made results of the test unreliable.

For truck-drivers, there is an interesting invention in rear-end suspension-- a cushion that pulsates and massages the driver's posterior as he rolls along the highway. The seat manufactured by H Koch and Sons of Anaheim California is an inflatable cushion with its own mini compressor which sends air pressure through a series of passages. According to the manufacturer, the air is regulated in such a way that it "massages the muscles, aiding in the circulation of blood through the lower extremities."

A Mother in Saint-Malo, France filed a complaint with police against Danone, the manufacturer of powdered baby formula.  Police told AFP the woman's three-month-old daughter became ill with a high temperature, and the Mother took her to the emergency room.
Several days later authorities said the baby vomited a worm about 6 to 7 centimeters long, about the length of an adult index finger. In the report the Mother said the worm had been examined at the hospital and was determined to be of a parasitic type. She decided to take action after learning of two other cases, one in central France where living larvae were found in a container of the same brand of formula.

A spokesman from Danone said that without the containers "several hypotheses could explain the presence of an insect," but the formula is never exposed to air in its production chain.

To abide by Covid's social distancing, Bradley Bell, head writer for The Bold and the Beautiful told the New York Post the show is experimenting with using blow-up dolls in love scenes as the daytime soap in hiatus since March resumed taping on June 17th. Challenged to adhere to Covid protocols Bell said "We put our heads together trying to figure out a way to make those scenes work without breaking the distancing rule--and we brought out the doll we used years ago as a corpse." The results he said was very convincing--we'll be using her with hair and makeup as a stand-in to match some of our leading ladies. The show has also recruited some of the actors' spouses as body doubles. We've had stunt doubles before," Bell said,"but this is the first time we've had kissing doubles."

So I wonder how the other shows are adhering to the Covid protocol.

Latest posts

Back