Playing guitar

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livebreathesmile

Reaction score
The best thing I've done - ever - to relieve stress is to learn how to play guitar - badly!

I will never be much good at it, fingers don't stretch too far, age (!) and I procrastinate ie tend to just like playing the chords I know without learning and mastering more!  I could get better with practice, I know that that's the one fundamental rule, but I can't be bothered!  I just like playing tunes.

Songs for sad moments, songs for thrashing out, singalongs, I like to have a go at them all.

So here I am playing 'The Winner Takes It All' - Abba

If you play, then don't be shy, put up your video, it won't be worse than mine...and even if you think it is then all credit to you for putting it on here.

By the way, I do requests (if they're not hard!) so feel free to ask, I will try and learn a song for you!

[video=youtube]

Hi, if I hadn't broken my violin a few weeks ago (accidentally, I hasten to add) - I'd be tempted to do this. Of course I'd chicken out because there's no way I could ACTUALLY put myself out there like that but I WOULD think about it.

I'm glad you've found something that brings you joy.

I\ said:
Hi, if I hadn't broken my violin a few weeks ago (accidentally, I hasten to add) - I'd be tempted to do this. Of course I'd chicken out because there's no way I could ACTUALLY put myself out there like that but I WOULD think about it.

I'm glad you've found something that brings you joy.

Thankyou.

I'd love to see you playing violin!  Get it fixed, then get yourself out there my friend!

Relish all comments, even if they say 'You m*ther f**king prick, you burst my eardrums and play like a pig!" Such things are character building and help to build a thick skin  :cool:

Never forget to 'Lol' it and thank them for their comments. 

Meanwhile, here's another!

[video=youtube]

Given the situation, I doubt that I'm going to be able to get it fixed (or replaced) any time soon but thanks.

If it helps, I liked your rendition :)

Adele - Someone Like You

Tricky for a bloke to sing, so please forgive my attempt. And meant for the piano not a guitar![video=youtube]

I\ said:
Given the situation, I doubt that I'm going to be able to get it fixed (or replaced) any time soon but thanks.

Thank you!

Any news on the violin yet? Is it definitely unfixable?  Even by a top luthier type person?

Livebreathesmile said:
I\ said:

Thank you!

Any news on the violin yet? Is it definitely unfixable?  Even by a top luthier type person?

You're welcome.

I took some pictures of it - meaning to show to the staff at my nearest music shop but the lockdown got here first so... I guess I'm waiting until it's all over. I wouldn't be playing anyway. I'm not alone so doesn't make any difference. Thanks for asking, though.

Keep it up!
Playing music is a great way to lose yourself from life's daily woes.
And no matter how long you have been playing, you still learn something new.
I've been learning for decades, one would think I'd become a professional musician by now...Nope!

ABrokenMan said:
Keep it up!
Playing music is a great way to lose yourself from life's daily woes.
And no matter how long you have been playing, you still learn something new.
I've been learning for decades, one would think I'd become a professional musician by now...Nope!

Ha!  Yes, I think I'll be the same! I've got bugger all musical talent, but just love playing. Great for escaping all those things you've said above.

Just stumbled upon your post and wanted to say I totally feel you on the therapeutic power of playing guitar. It doesn't matter if we're not shredding like rockstars, as long as we're enjoying ourselves, right? Age can be a bummer, but who needs fancy chords when we can strum the ones we know? It's awesome that you play different tunes for different moods - from sad moments to jam sessions. And wow, you even shared a video of your rendition of "The Winner Takes It All" by Abba? That's brave! I'm new here, but I'll try to find it and give it a watch. Speaking of requests, I have one for you if you're up for it! Can you try learning "Hotel California" by the Eagles? I know it's not the easiest, but I believe in your skills. By the way, have you ever tried using iron age guitar picks? I heard they can add a cool touch to your playing.

Latest posts

Back