Scammed

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Games

Reaction score
Nearly got scammed a couple of nights ago.Feel such an idiot they were so convincing had my bank's telephone no and knew the purchases I had done that day.I was that close to transferring money to change my account but alarm bells kept ringing .Even spoke to his boss to make sure it was legitimate.Spoke for 20 mins to two scammers wtf...but sorted now with bank luckily...said really common now.Oh well got experience now ,shouldn't get caught out again :club:

Anyone else been scammed or had a close call losing money.

Not scammed in quite the same way. But about four years ago a 'genuine looking' Microsoft message appeared on my desktop at start up - just an update thingy - I clicked the button to update.  

Next day I turned it on, to view a blue screen with a message to say all my files had been encrypted with Ransomware and either pay up in Bitcoins or lose everything!

Took it to computer techy company who basically said 'Can't do anything, unless you pay up (not advised) nothing can be done'.  They then quarantined it and basically said that the next time I took a computer in for repair I should check to see if there's now a patch for it.

Lost everything on it, files, photos etc.  Sure, I had some backed up but in the main I don't really know what I lost!

This was a year or two before the NHS in the UK got hacked with something similar.

Livebreathesmile said:
Not scammed in quite the same way. But about four years ago a 'genuine looking' Microsoft message appeared on my desktop at start up - just an update thingy - I clicked the button to update.  

Next day I turned it on, to view a blue screen with a message to say all my files had been encrypted with Ransomware and either pay up in Bitcoins or lose everything!

Took it to computer techy company who basically said 'Can't do anything, unless you pay up (not advised) nothing can be done'.  They then quarantined it and basically said that the next time I took a computer in for repair I should check to see if there's now a patch for it.

Lost everything on it, files, photos etc.  Sure, I had some backed up but in the main I don't really know what I lost!

This was a year or two before the NHS in the UK got hacked with something similar.

Those things infect your operating system, but you can bypass it with a portable OS. Basically you have it on a CD or USB stick and it starts independent of your infected Windows, and you can still access your hard drive. Willing to bet you could have accessed your stuff on your hard drive, and then just copied the important bits.

Aldeb said:
.... Willing to bet you could have accessed your stuff on your hard drive, and then just copied the important bits.

If their files were actually encrypted then it wouldn't have made any difference.

Just Games said:
Anyone else been scammed or had a close call losing money.

You know those tech support guys from India? I came within a hair of giving them access to my laptop once. I was going through a devastating break-up at the time and wasn't thinking straight. 

Anyway, they got me to go through all their little commands to get access to my laptop so they could steal all my credit card information and such and for some reason it didn't work. So they asked me to try one more time and it suddenly clicked that I was being scammed.

I was so angry at myself for being so dumb, but looking back on it, they just took advantage of my vulnerability at the time. 

I am a pretty naive person, but I like to think that won't ever happen again :D

Latest posts

Back