I'm lonely and would like to develop friendship.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelyShy

Reaction score
I am from, and currently live in, the United Kingdom.
I am in my twenties.
I am male.

If I had to describe myself physically I'd say that I am somewhat tall and slim. I try to take good care of myself by eating healthily and exercising regularly. My hair and eyes are brown and my skin is pale.

I feel like I can express myself best through writing, although I am happy to voice call or video chat with anyone I get to know on here.

I'm also happy to send pictures, but I am generally quite reserved, so please forgive me not posting pictures of myself here in my intro (although that is me in my avatar).  

With the recent lockdown situation, losing my office job and any activities that served as distractions, it has dawned on me just how lonely and isolated I have become.

I haven't had any real friends or been in any relationships for quite a few years now.

I was on friendly enough terms with the people around me in life, but I did not feel I had anyone I could truly open up to.

I would like to find someone who I can be there for, and who can be there for me. I understand any kind of friendship or relationship must be based on trust and I am willing to take the time to develop this. It is my hope that our conversations can be mutually beneficial.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about posting this, but sometimes in life we need to leave ourselves vulnerable in order to feel anything at all. I have built up these defensive walls around myself for years and now I'm ready to move beyond them.

I'm not sure what to expect from this, but I'd like it if you took a chance and messaged me. You've got nothing to lose, and we both stand to potentially gain something from this. Two minds can come together to produce more than the sum of their parts.

As for my interests, they tend to be quite varied but as I type them out they may come across as a bit generic. I enjoy reading and writing, listening to music, being online, I like animals, watching movies, working out, I used to enjoy making artwork and music of my own, but not as much these days so I have a lot of free time to offer.

I'm sure I could type more but I  don't want to make this too long. Hopefully we can get to know each other more if you choose to message me.

LonelyShy said:
I am in my twenties.
I am male.

If I had to describe myself physically I'd say that I am somewhat tall and slim. I try to take good care of myself by eating healthily and exercising regularly. My hair and eyes are brown and my skin is pale.

I feel like I can express myself best through writing, although I am happy to voice call or video chat with anyone I get to know on here.

I'm also happy to send pictures, but I am generally quite reserved, so please forgive me not posting pictures of myself here in my intro (although that is me in my avatar).  

With the recent lockdown situation, losing my office job and any activities that served as distractions, it has dawned on me just how lonely and isolated I have become.

I haven't had any real friends or been in any relationships for quite a few years now.

I was on friendly enough terms with the people around me in life, but I did not feel I had anyone I could truly open up to.

I would like to find someone who I can be there for, and who can be there for me. I understand any kind of friendship or relationship must be based on trust and I am willing to take the time to develop this. It is my hope that our conversations can be mutually beneficial.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about posting this, but sometimes in life we need to leave ourselves vulnerable in order to feel anything at all. I have built up these defensive walls around myself for years and now I'm ready to move beyond them.

I'm not sure what to expect from this, but I'd like it if you took a chance and messaged me. You've got nothing to lose, and we both stand to potentially gain something from this. Two minds can come together to produce more than the sum of their parts.

As for my interests, they tend to be quite varied but as I type them out they may come across as a bit generic. I enjoy reading and writing, listening to music, being online, I like animals, watching movies, working out, I used to enjoy making artwork and music of my own, but not as much these days so I have a lot of free time to offer.

I'm sure I could type more but I  don't want to make this too long. Hopefully we can get to know each other more if you choose to message me.

Superb intro. I have also temporarily lost my office job and I'm not sure I'll ever get it back to be honest! It's forcing me to rethink my career path but in a good way. Sounds like you've got plenty of interests to keep you busy during Lockdown.

Thank you! Yes, we're living in uncertain times unfortunately. It's all happening so suddenly and I'm not sure what the future holds, and with no other distractions available either it can be very anxiety provoking, but it looks like we're all in the same boat! (Even if that boat may be sinking, lol... I'm sure we can all help each other out).

Hi and welcome

I think recent circumstances have given a lot of people a chance to look at their lives. Of course, not everyone's actually doing that but... maybe it's a good thing that we're getting a chance to think about things in a new way. Or not. Just a thought.

You said that you read and write? What kind of things? What kind of music did you make? Do/did you play an instrument?

And don't worry about the photos. There's not really a lot of us that are willing to be that brave. It IS the internet after all. A little precaution is a good thing.

Thank you! Yes, I agree, it would be best to try to make the most of this situation and treat it as positive. For some it is a welcome break from a stressful life, for others without their daily distractions they are forced to face themselves and their problems they may have been running from.

Some may want to go back to normal, but I don't suppose that life ever really was normal, or that things will ever be the same again. To be alive is to experience constant change and adaptation.. But maybe I'm being a little too dark. I don't want to get anyone down, I want to lift myself and others up.

Anyway, I tend to read a lot of fiction and non-fiction. Non fiction stuff I lean towards the areas of criminology, psychology and philosophy, etc. For fiction stuff I really enjoy a lot of Franz Kafka's works, Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre, books like Perfume and Ratman's Notebooks, and a lot more.

With music I am really all over the place, constantly changing, it has been somewhat of a lifelong obsession to find new sounds so I'm sure I could find some common ground with most people on here. I used to play bass guitar and drums and record cover songs, then I discovered the joys of synthesizers and samplers and approached more genres, but lately I've not been motivated to do much of anything...

Wow - a lot of deep, intellectual stuff. Starting to feel really dumb here...

I tend to read sci-fi/fantasy stuff for preference so... not so deep.

Music wise - I have fairly broad tastes too although, for some reason, most of my music gets put down as alternative/indie. Not sure what that means. Perhaps if you said more about your favourite stuff, someone here would know it and you could get a good conversation going.

Any idea why you've not been motivated to do stuff?

You shouldn't feel dumb for enjoying sci-fi/fantasy. A lot of that can be very deep as well I think. Although I haven't read a lot of the literature, although if you stretch the definition a bit I suppose you could consider stuff like H.P. Lovecraft, or works like We, Brave New World and 1984 early examples of sci-fi or fantasy, and I enjoyed those.

But I do like a bit of sci-fi, I used to be a huge Star Trek fan, mostly the TV series and movies from the original series through to Deep Space Nine, and I used to enjoy the original Star Wars movies. Probably a few others but that's all that really comes to mind just now.

As for music, I like some Post Punk stuff like The Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division, etc. Some Rap/Hip Hop like Beastie Boys, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, etc. Some Industrial like Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, etc. Some Alternative like Deftones, Alice In Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pavement, etc. I really like Singer/Songwriter Elliott Smith. I like a lot of Electronic stuff like Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Aphex Twin. I like Massive Attack. I like some Country like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams. Even then that's just scratching the surface and there are thousands more that I have enjoyed. It all just depends on my mood I suppose.

I DEFINITELY include H.P. Lovecraft in sci-fi/fantasy. And yep, 1984 as well. Haven't read the other works you mentioned. I might have to add them to my incredibly long list of things to read (never seems to get any shorter).

I am a Star Trek fan (sorry) and still watch the original series whenever it's shown on tv - even though I can literally speak the lines with the actors a lot of the times. It's sad. I know.

Do you ever listen to Spotify? I like the daily mix lists they do. They mix up songs you've already marked as 'liked' along with ones from the same artist you haven't marked and similar artists. Ok, it's done by computer but it throws up some good stuff (as well as not so good, obviously). It's a good way of finding new artists/songs/sounds. And, best of all, it's free. You just have to put up with adverts every so often.

It's introduced me to several artists I wouldn't have found any other way. People like Sin Shake Sin, Nathan Wagner, 8 Graves, Les Friction and Digital Daggers. Lots of fun.

Nice! Another Lovecraft and Star Trek fan! I loved the Original Series although The Next Generation was always my favourite. I even bought a Star Trek uniform years ago... Sad I know! I still love the show, it's just been a while since I've watched it as I ended up watching it to death, and I don't enjoy the newer incarnations quite as much. Some episodes of Deep Space Nine really got to me but overall that part of the series was very hit or miss.

I've been considering making a Spotify for quite some time now, and when I do I'll be sure to throw the link up on here. I used to use last.fm for that same purpose but the site seems very outdated by today's standards so it's about time I upgraded.

I think the first series we see tends to be our favourite. As to the newer incarnations - have you had a chance to try Star Trek Discovery? It's on Netflix (not sure if it's anywhere else). After the... mess that was Enterprise, I was prepared to be bitterly disappointed. I wasn't. It's actually surprisingly good (my opinion anyway). So, if you get a chance - give it a go.

Hope you do give Spotify a try. As I said - I've found lots of music I wouldn't have otherwise :)

Sure, hit me up on discord and we can voice chat. Don't let the name fool you, I don't have a thick accent, or any accent.

Wow that's pretty good.
And respect for posting the video, I would never have the courage to do that!

LonelyShy said:
You shouldn't feel dumb for enjoying sci-fi/fantasy. A lot of that can be very deep as well I think. Although I haven't read a lot of the literature, although if you stretch the definition a bit I suppose you could consider stuff like H.P. Lovecraft, or works like We, Brave New World and 1984 early examples of sci-fi or fantasy, and I enjoyed those.

But I do like a bit of sci-fi, I used to be a huge Star Trek fan, mostly the TV series and movies from the original series through to Deep Space Nine, and I used to enjoy the original Star Wars movies. Probably a few others but that's all that really comes to mind just now.

As for music, I like some Post Punk stuff like The Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division, etc. Some Rap/Hip Hop like Beastie Boys, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, etc. Some Industrial like Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, etc. Some Alternative like Deftones, Alice In Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pavement, etc. I really like Singer/Songwriter Elliott Smith. I like a lot of Electronic stuff like Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Aphex Twin. I like Massive Attack. I like some Country like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams. Even then that's just scratching the surface and there are thousands more that I have enjoyed. It all just depends on my mood I suppose.

HP Lovecraft - a master. Is it horror, fantasy or sci-fi? Or all at the same time?

Hi and welcome!

If you like Star Trek check out Picard on Amazon Prime - I hadn't heard anything about it before but it was pretty good, not perfect but good enough that I think I binge watched the entire series in one weekend!

I hope you find what you are looking for here.

LonelyShy said:
I even bought a Star Trek uniform years ago... Sad I know! 
Nothing wrong with being passionate about what you like, I bought a mustard/gold top and a Star Trek logo pin to wear on it as my 'costume' way, way back too! 
In fact recently I saw and bought an Umbrella jacket i saw and matching cap (Umbrella as in Resident Evil), I love it - even if the timing with a virus outbreak might not be the best!!!   :D
images

Koi NickJP said:
LonelyShy said:
I am in my twenties.
I am male.

Superb intro. I have also temporarily lost my office job and I'm not sure I'll ever get it back to be honest! It's forcing me to rethink my career path but in a good way. Sounds like you've got plenty of interests to keep you busy during Lockdown.

LonelyShy said:
I am in my twenties.
I am male.

I know you're probably primarily looking for female friendship, but I'm also in the UK, a 32 year old straight guy. Happy to talk if you want to.

Latest posts

Back