Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There has never been a better time for online dating
Since quarantine started? Do you mean from when we MUST stay inside?

Nah it was a long time ago. I even expanded the demographic to 200km because my area was probably not more than 1000 swipes.
Oh and no one reads profiles, man. It's all in the picture. I don't remember what I put in there but whatever gaslighting attempt you try, it was the opposite. Stop trying to rationalize shallowness.
I'm actually David Blane.
(05-04-2020, 07:54 AM)Xpendable Wrote: Since quarantine started? Do you mean from when we MUST stay inside?

That's kinda the point of this thread...everyone is stuck inside so they're using online dating apps a lot more.

(05-04-2020, 07:54 AM)Xpendable Wrote: Oh and no one reads profiles, man. It's all in the picture. I don't remember what I put in there but whatever gaslighting attempt you try, it was the opposite. Stop trying to rationalize shallowness.

When I said that you're probably selling yourself short in your profile, that includes both pictures and bio text. Of course it's all in the pictures. You have to use pictures that present you as well as possible (without being totally deceptive). And my guess is that you were using some combination of low quality pictures, bad clothing, bad body language. Even very attractive guys won't get many matches if they screw up those things.

And I wouldn't completely discount the bio text. People do read it, especially if you match with them. But pictures are still way more important.
Bad guess.
When you have been using dating sites and more recently the dating apps for 20 years, and before that, even the dating agencies, where you actually went in to an office .. someone took down your interests, helped you write a profile add, even take photos .. and have heard ALL the guarantees that this will work, that there will be meetings and dates, ect ect ect ... when you have been to interest groups and classes, done volunteering, waited for one day when you least expect it, put yourself out there and loved yourself to bits ... it doesn’t really matter how you think, wether you are positive it will work or not, nobody knows that if they don’t even talk to you. Nobody can sense how you think or feel from a photo or what is written on a profile.
(05-04-2020, 12:06 PM)bender22 Wrote:  And my guess is that you were using some combination of low quality pictures, bad clothing, bad body language. Even very attractive guys won't get many matches if they screw up those things.

I agree with this part, I've seen a lot of bad photos on dating sites. For a guy a bad photo can make him look creepy or threatening.  If he's too shy to ask friends or family to help out he might have to hire a photographer (not possible on lockdown though).
(05-04-2020, 12:28 PM)Xpendable Wrote: Bad guess.

Okay, show me how I'm wrong. Post up the photos you used.

Cucuboth, I think it's often quite easy to get a sense of how someone thinks or feels based on their photos and profile.
(05-04-2020, 08:07 PM)bender22 Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 12:28 PM)Xpendable Wrote: Bad guess.

Okay, show me how I'm wrong. Post up the photos you used.

Cucuboth, I think it's often quite easy to get a sense of how someone thinks or feels based on their photos and profile.

Never judge a book by its cover.
(04-24-2020, 03:26 PM)bender22 Wrote: I know some people on here don't like online dating.

But even if you've struggled with online dating in the past, I'd urge you to get onto online dating apps right now (if you're single).

With everyone stuck at home in quarantine, online dating has never been so good. I've had more success with online dating in these past few months than I've ever had. And I know a lot of guys saying the same thing.

People are bored. They are spending more time on Tinder, Bumble and other apps than ever before. 

Even if you don't want to meet up with people right now, it's still a good opportunity to work on your texting and learn the ropes of online dating. And then perhaps you can still meet up with some of your matches once the pandemic is over. Or you can set up a Facetime date like some people are.

If you're looking for a significant other or any sort of casual relationship and you're not using online dating right now, believe me..now is the time to get on there!

I suppose in terms of number, you're probably right. But, a lot of people, myself included, have issues with online dating that don't just go away because more people are online. Trust, self esteem, control issues, bitterness/resentment, and just baggage in general that has been getting in the way of previous attempts, unless those are addressed... You're going to have the same problems you have always had.

But, sure, if your only problem is selection... Probably a good time.
(05-04-2020, 03:36 PM)ardour Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 12:06 PM)bender22 Wrote:  And my guess is that you were using some combination of low quality pictures, bad clothing, bad body language. Even very attractive guys won't get many matches if they screw up those things.

I agree with this part, I've seen a lot of bad photos on dating sites. For a guy a bad photo can make him look creepy or threatening.  If he's too shy to ask friends or family to help out he might have to hire a photographer (not possible on lockdown though).

True, on my last attempt one guy posted a picture of himself with bright red eyes, I mean photoshopped to make himself look creepy on purpose... At least a half dozen photos where the guy was hugging a pretty girl (I assumed an ex, though who knows) and others where the girl was partially cut out of the photo... Except for her chest because it was right next to his face. I can forgive a bad photo, lighting... Bad hair day... Whatever... But the the ones I described, I automatically skipped.

You also would not believe how many photos where the guy doesn't even bother to smile... Don't look miserable for your photo...
(05-05-2020, 10:55 AM)kaetic Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 03:36 PM)ardour Wrote:

True, on my last attempt one guy posted a picture of himself with bright red eyes, I mean photoshopped to make himself look creepy on purpose... At least a half dozen photos where the guy was hugging a pretty girl (I assumed an ex, though who knows) and others where the girl was partially cut out of the photo... Except for her chest because it was right next to his face. I can forgive a bad photo, lighting... Bad hair day... Whatever... But the the ones I described, I automatically skipped.

You also would not believe how many photos where the guy doesn't even bother to smile... Don't look miserable for your photo...

I really can't understand or believe the number of women with photos (often multiple) of them hugging or posing with a guy. Like, if its a group (even if they're the only female in the picture), I can understand maybe, it might've been something with work or school or whatever. And I assume the guy(s) they have pictures with might be their brother or other family or something, and is probably not an ex. But it still seems like such a massive red flag. It just gives the completely wrong impression that any picture is supposed to.

Although keep in mind I don't mean their default pic necessarily (although that does happen), I mean other pics they've uploaded that you can look through. Few profiles I've seen are... short-sighted enough to make the default pic one with a guy in it (although sometimes they have a female friend in it and I have trouble telling which one the profile is for).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Dating Musings Serenia 20 926 11-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: kelsier
  It went too far this time... M_also_lonely 14 2,597 05-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: MissBehave
  Dating Xpendable: Pros and Cons Xpendable 25 3,873 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Last Post: LostintheBardo
  Very turned off by on-line dating and even scared of it. Alonewith2cats 96 23,948 07-06-2019, 03:30 AM
Last Post: QuietDesperation
  Dating as a virgin - and everyone seems sex obsessed? TheSolitaryMan 10 5,014 03-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Enpatsu No Shakugan
  Some Questions for everyone who's used (or is currently using) online dating Services ExtensivexLDL 66 28,314 03-05-2019, 11:48 AM
  Frustrated with dating sites Matt L 28 5,287 02-27-2019, 04:05 AM
  Dating women from work bearcat22 16 3,883 02-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Red_Wedding_Casualty
  Dating Sites bearcat22 51 8,008 01-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Richard_39
  UK Dating Sites with Usernames? LifePath1 16 6,895 12-11-2018, 02:58 AM
Last Post: smarty24