There has never been a better time for online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xpendable said:
bender22 said:
Xpendable said:
Bad guess.

Okay, show me how I'm wrong. Post up the photos you used.

Cucuboth, I think it's often quite easy to get a sense of how someone thinks or feels based on their photos and profile.

Never judge a book by its cover.

That's such a stupid phrase. Everyone is judging a book by it's cover. Whether consciously or subconsciously.

Kaetic, yeah I find it a major turnoff when girls don't smile in any of their photos. I can sort of understand guys not smiling to portray a bad boy kind of look. But I still think everyone should have at least one or two smiling photos.

It's a shame people on these apps get judged on what they look like initially.I believe you get to know someone better through the written word.That's a better way to know initially if your going to gel.Would it not be better to not see a potential match until you actually date after you've got to know someone through their thoughts ,believes and passions expressed through words?

True, that would be nice... Though if someone is going to reject me based on appearance... I'd rather not hear about it. They can skip over me without me ever knowing, but if I form an attachment just to be rejected later (yes I know negative thinking, though realistic imo) it would hurt more than in that case.

Just Games said:
It's a shame people on these apps get judged on what they look like initially.I believe you get to know someone better through the written word.That's a better way to know initially if your going to gel.Would it not be better to not see a potential match until you actually date after you've got to know someone through their thoughts ,believes and passions expressed through words?

There was an Australian reality tv show based on this concept, Blind Date, I think it was called where 20 somethings would go on 'dates' in a dark room. Although most of the people who took part were at least average looking.

it'd just be a waste of each other's time if it turned out one or both parties couldn't feel any attraction. As kaetic points out "I like you as person...but oh darn, I'm not into you looks wise" Yeah, not fun.

ardour said:
Just Games said:

There was an Australian reality tv show based on this concept, Blind Date, I think it was called where 20 somethings would go on 'dates' in a dark room. Although most of the people who took part were at least average looking.

it'd just be a waste of each other's time if it turned out one or both parties couldn't feel any attraction. As kaetic points out "I like you as person...but oh darn, I'm not into you looks wise" Yeah, not fun.

Yeah but that's probably after 10 minutes ,although I've never seen it.But after say a month of texting or old school letter writing.Anyway alot of people attracted by the brain...personality...don't you think?

Just Games said:
ardour said:
Just Games said:

Yeah but that's probably after 10 minutes ,although I've never seen it.But after say a month of texting or old school letter writing.Anyway alot of people attracted by the brain...personality...don't you think?

I guess for some... Most people need some physical attraction.

ardour said:
Just Games said:
ardour said:
Just Games said:

I guess for some... Most people need some physical attraction.

Yeah I suppose so.But personality wins over looks every time.Like your not gonna last with a Brad Pitt lookalike if he has the persona of an arshole.I suppose some of the time you'll look at him and think he's a bit beautiful , but if you can't laugh with him e.t.c......These apps sound a waist of time anyway , better to know someone first ,can still verify blonde or brunette,height e.t.c by written word then alot of the time your looks won't matter if your getting on like a house on fire before you meet.I dunno where I'm going with this just thought important.

ardour said:
Just Games said:

I remember that show. To be honest, most of the people on it were above average. But then most, if not all, were probably actors anyway. No way that any dating show would actually put someone on who was average.

From my experience, there has never been a good time for dating, online or offline. It just doesn't work.

blackdot said:
From my experience, there has never been a good time for dating, online or offline. It just doesn't work.

This has also been my experience. 

I've been on three dates with women I met online. Nothing good came out of that. It made me realize that I'm better off just microwaving some spaghettios and staying home.

Assimilate said:
blackdot said:

I've been on three dates with women I met online. Nothing good came out of that. It made me realize that I'm better off just microwaving some spaghettios and staying home.

You got me curious about how those dates went down. 🤔😄

MissBehave said:
Assimilate said:
blackdot said:

You got me curious about how those dates went down. 🤔😄

Oh boy... here you go. The worst one was with this one woman I met when I was totally new to online dating. I was 18 and significantly dumber than I am now. We had talked online for a couple weeks, skyped, and decided to just get dinner. Nothing fancy, just a nice little Mexican place down the road where we met up. We sat down and she was immediately very rude and demanding with our waitress, snapping at her about "did you get that" or something along those lines. This got progressively worse and worse as the date went on until she began cursing at our waitress. At that point I had enough and just got up, paid for my half plus both tips, and left. To add to this she was also making fun of our waitress's accent, which I was pretty mad about. I don't like labeling people ists and isms but I got some serious "our waitress is brown and not from around here and I don't like that" vibes. Very embarrassing and unpleasant. 

I also had one woman lie to me about a bunch of stuff which I called her on in our messages and just let it slide. She wouldn't do a video call because she was nervous. Fair enough I guess. Then I showed up to the date and she was a totally different person. Like I stood out front and some woman I didn't know ran up and says "Hi, I'm Jane (not her real name) from the app". I decided to just call it off and leave because it was too weird for me. She wasn't even bad looking or anything. Just lied about everything all the time. 

The other was normal and really nice but we had nothing in common apart from one hobby and there just wasn't a connection there worth expanding.

You can't write off online dating based on 3 dates. That's hardly a big sample size.

Those are the three that showed up. That's not counting a no show, cancellations and dozen plus women who just stopped texting me for no reason. I've always had better results in the real world. I've also never met a guy offline who had success with online dating. Even here I've seen people complaining about it. For those reasons I wouldn't recommend it. Going to conventions, volunteering, or maybe meeting people at work are all better ways to get a date.

People with success at dating apps live on another realm, we can't even see them.

Assimilate said:
Those are the three that showed up. That's not counting a no show, cancellations and dozen plus women who just stopped texting me for no reason. I've always had better results in the real world. I've also never met a guy offline who had success with online dating. Even here I've seen people complaining about it. For those reasons I wouldn't recommend it. Going to conventions, volunteering, or maybe meeting people at work are all better ways to get a date.

At least you got three dates. I would love to get three dates! Even if they weren’t a success. Hell, would even love to find three conversations to be honest, that would be a good start.

Quietus said:
I’ve found that many people online are frankly, bullshitters.

Yep. 

Most people, not just online. It seems to be more about what someone thinks they can get from you.

Cucuboth said:
Quietus said:
I’ve found that many people online are frankly, bullshitters.

Yep. 

Most people, not just online. It seems to be more about what someone thinks they can get from you.

This!

There are shitty people wherever you go. It's not just on online dating. Maybe online dating just exposes people more than real life scenarios.

Latest posts

Back