Does opinion on fiction reflect real life opinion?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
I got into an argument about this and I just want to know what you all think.

Someone said to me that if I hate/dislike homosexual characters, it means that I also hate/dislike them in real life.
Which is not the case, I really don't care about who people are or what they do or what they believe in.

I suppose that depends on what it is about them that you don't like. Gay or straight some characters are just poorly written.

Well if you weren't gay, you probably wouldn't like a gay protagonist. Although, I've seen, 'Milk,' and thought it was a very important film. *shrug* If you say you don't hate gay folks then I think you don't hate gay folks.

Are you referring to not like sex/kissing scenes with gay people or just gay characters in general? If it's in general, I'd say it could be possible you have an issue with gay people, but I wouldn't go so far as to say definitely hate them.
You could subconsciously have issues with gay people you haven't realized yet or you may just be uncomfortable with them. Or you might be fine with them. It's ultimately on you whether you do or don't like them, but yeah, fictional opinion could and often does reflect real life opinions.

kaetic said:
I suppose that depends on what it is about them that you don't like. Gay or straight some characters are just poorly written.

Well, I do detest all sorts of PC, SJW, progressive, liberal messages or politics injected into entertainment, maybe that's why I disdain them in fiction.
I'm sick and tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE, it's on comics, TV, video games, etc. It's, overall, ruining entertainment as a whole.
Plus, their messaging is also very antagonistic to traditional things (that includes being straight), so I don't see why I can't be equally harsh.

TheRealCallie said:
Are you referring to not like sex/kissing scenes with gay people or just gay characters in general?  If it's in general, I'd say it could be possible you have an issue with gay people, but I wouldn't go so far as to say definitely hate them.  
You could subconsciously have issues with gay people you haven't realized yet or you may just be uncomfortable with them.  Or you might be fine with them.  It's ultimately on you whether you do or don't like them, but yeah, fictional opinion could and often does reflect real life opinions.

Well, now that I think about it, I do have an issue with homosexuals/transsexuals that are too proud of who they are, to the point where they can't be criticized about ANYTHING.  I definitely don't have an issue with those that don't make it a big deal though and yes, that includes not being affectionate in public.

AnonymousMe said:
kaetic said:

Well, I do detest all sorts of PC, SJW, progressive, liberal messages or politics injected into entertainment, maybe that's why I disdain them in fiction.
I'm sick and tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE, it's on comics, TV, video games, etc.  It's, overall, ruining entertainment as a whole.
Plus, their messaging is also very antagonistic to traditional things (that includes being straight), so I don't see why I can't be equally harsh.

TheRealCallie said:
Are you referring to not like sex/kissing scenes with gay people or just gay characters in general?  If it's in general, I'd say it could be possible you have an issue with gay people, but I wouldn't go so far as to say definitely hate them.  
You could subconsciously have issues with gay people you haven't realized yet or you may just be uncomfortable with them.  Or you might be fine with them.  It's ultimately on you whether you do or don't like them, but yeah, fictional opinion could and often does reflect real life opinions.

Well, now that I think about it, I do have an issue with homosexuals/transsexuals that are too proud of who they are, to the point where they can't be criticized about ANYTHING.  I definitely don't have an issue with those that don't make it a big deal though and yes, that includes not being affectionate in public.

So it sounds like you have more of an issue with egotism and entitlement than anything else. 
I'd take a look at what exactly you don't like and go from there.  It may just be more evident to you in certain situations than others.

Latest posts

Back