I'm old.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msanonymous94

Reaction score
I've turned 26, just last 2 days ago and I've been thinking. I do have a hobby but when my therapist told me to do self-discovery exercise, to find out what most excites me in life that i like to hope that I can lower down external volumes. 

Example:

[Me] I like listening music cause my friends like it.

I've tried finding new thinngs, I just feel like everything has dried out. I'm not even excited about netflix and many other entertainment. I just personally only enjoys illustrating and colouring cause i find comfort with solitude. My therapist says i still need to venture more on my own but I cant do it.

What kinds of things did you try? It's also hard for me to be interested or passionate about a lot of things that people are into, such as sports or TV shows. I draw and color a lot as well, and it's a great way to express my views on human society. Also, Happy Birthday.

Twenty-six is old? Try being 40! :D Honestly, at your age you have lots to look forward to. Keep trying new things, there's the old saying that life gives back what you put into it and I really think that still holds true. If you haven't found anything inspiring, it just means you haven't found the right thing yet.

It may sound crazy, but you could try something completely out of your comfort zone. Dirt biking, sailing, gliding etc. Sounds bonkers but there really is a whole world of stuff out there to try.

Happy belated Birthday!
I think after trying to entertain yourself constantly burns you out.
At least, that's how I feel.

Maybe you could try reading up on things like world history or current events.
Or watching more educational content on YouTube (TED talks, etc.) or something.
Trying to learn a new skill, or improving existing ones, might be good too.

I don't have answers because I have similar problems myself, but that's what I've been trying and it seems to make me feel better.

I always said that when you turn 25, you are old. A quarter of a century down and now everything becomes the same for the rest of your life.

I completely disagree blackdot, nothing is set in stone like that. As mentioned above, I turned 40 this year and I have had many ups and downs in life (jobs, health, relationships) but it is all a journey and it keeps going forward. There was a point only about 5 years ago where I thought I was some sort of complete failure and a freak. I had a mental breakdown and needed counselling.

So there I was, mid thirties with no job, no place of my own, a big relationship that ended badly. What could possibly go right for me? Who could possibly want me??

Fast forward five years...I'm in a very good job, I'm married, we have our own house, we live in a picturesque part of the country with lots to see and do. The contrast could not be more marked.

Bad things will always happen, there will always be idiots out there. But lots of good things happen too and some people are angels. People reading this should never give up at any time, giving up hope is the only truly terminally bad thing in life.

Happy 26th Birthday to MsAnonymous, here's to many more!

msanonymous94 said:
I've turned 26, just last 2 days ago and I've been thinking. I do have a hobby but when my therapist told me to do self-discovery exercise, to find out what most excites me in life that i like to hope that I can lower down external volumes. 

Example:

I've tried finding new thinngs, I just feel like everything has dried out. I'm not even excited about netflix and many other entertainment. I just personally only enjoys illustrating and colouring cause i find comfort with solitude. My therapist says i still need to venture more on my own but I cant do it.

Look mate I can well understand your situation.If I didn't have such a driven partner I would I'm sure at your age be drowning in alcohol ,being a binge drinker to alleviate depression.

I was gonna write all this bollocks about not giving up bla bla ,knowing people older that haven't given up at your age but realise in my case after two failed relationships it's merely my partner is the reason I'm stil existing, the responsibilities of mortgage bills and kids.If I didn't have any of that suffering social anxiety all my life I would be where you are having depression and going from job to job not sticking any until I followed my interest .

But on the flip side I do have one consistent passion that I have followed all my life also making a career,if you can call it that, cause I am a one trick pony and as my mate ardour said lol a bit of a tool lol😄.Have you thought of following art into a way of making money if you enjoy it so much?

Anyway *Big hug* mate hope it happens for you soon.

I've recently begun to believe in journaling. I keep one online. You can find great prompts, if you run out of ideas. I find lots of suggestions on Pinterest. Good luck!

I feel very similar to you, MsAnonymous.  I feel old at 33, feel like my life has passed me by.  I look back and realized that I never really found myself, never really got interested in anything (besides fandoms) cause I distracted myself with phobias and angry thoughts, instead of looking around and thinking about what I wanted from life.  I never really developed hobbies or thought about what kind of person i wanted to be, out of the fear that I had no talent and would therefore never be good at anything no matter if I worked hard at it or not, because nothing ever came to me naturally or easily.  But now that I figured out where I went wrong, I'm trying to turn it around.  I have to get my life organized first, though.

Yeti1980 said:
nothing is set in stone like that. As mentioned above, I turned 40 this year and I have had many ups and downs in life (jobs, health, relationships) but it is all a journey and it keeps going forward. There was a point only about 5 years ago where I thought I was some sort of complete failure and a freak. I had a mental breakdown and needed counselling.

So there I was, mid thirties with no job, no place of my own, a big relationship that ended badly. What could possibly go right for me? Who could possibly want me??

Fast forward five years...I'm in a very good job, I'm married, we have our own house, we live in a picturesque part of the country with lots to see and do. The contrast could not be more marked.

Bad things will always happen, there will always be idiots out there. But lots of good things happen too and some people are angels. People reading this should never give up at any time, giving up hope is the only truly terminally bad thing in life.

Happy 26th Birthday to MsAnonymous, here's to many more!

Good post, Yeti.  As someone in a similar position (getting to mid 30s, no career or place of my own, not even a breakup but no relationship at all), this gives me hope. 

+1

"Good post, Yeti. As someone in a similar position (getting to mid 30s, no career or place of my own, not even a breakup but no relationship at all), this gives me hope.

+1"

Glad to be a source of encouragement, like I say things can always change and situations can be turned around.

msanonymous94 said:

Example:

Totally understand what you mean. I have a lot of hobbies and interests, but always have to do them alone. Even when I join a class or group, I still end up having to do it alone. I am still interested in my hobbies and stuff, but in a way they also end up feeling like just an extension of the prison cell it feels like I am in. 

I have heard, and read, people say that you have to be passionate about something. I think that the lack of anyone to share my hobbies and interests with kind of prevents me from feeling that real passion. Especially when most of my hobbies and interests developed as an escape from bullying ... only to find even more bullying because of the things I like (even from those who claim to like the same things), more exclusion and rejection. 

It’s the same when people say to try something new, something out of your comfort zone (ugh a phrase I dislike, since people use it as just a throw away line). I find I have to have SOME interest in something, otherwise .. well .. what’s the point. And if I don’t make a connection with someone .. which never happens .. or even feel like it’s possible to, then it just becomes yet another thing I feel like I have to do alone. Am forced to do alone, to be honest.

I still feel so sad though. In despair. Can’t vision any positive stuffs. My depression has been winning and effected my school grades. I just cant stand the fact I’m gonna be alone literally with all my friends having their children's and building their own families and I know I’m gonna lose my grandpa. Plus my psych meds haven't been the right one, working on waiving it off. I have my ideal happiness in my own world but so far as all of my friends are married and if I’m gonna lose my grandpa, I never would know when will I ever be happy again. I feel like I don’t have anyone to talk to after my school finishes in July.

Msanomynous94, allow me to give a differing Christian perspective than the others.  And this, coming from someone who dedicated 4 decades of life to an extraordinary career, adventurous trips, and 30+ outdoor sports and recreational activities.  I've had all the passion and interest that people are encouraged to find, and been rewarded with an incredibly good life.  With age though, I've learned that these things aren't the answer to a truely fulfilling life.  They certainly make our time here more interesting and enjoyable, and I think many worldly pursuits are worthwhile.  But, most people with a yearning heart for purpose and meaning to life will need and seek out more than pursuits of self gratification.  Whether its work or play, the satisfaction acquired through these things generally is only temporary.

Life is about relationships.  We were all made by a Creator, and that Creator wants us to love him and to learn how to love others.  This is a life long, challenging endeavor, and its worthy of our passion because its the most important thing in the world and in each created person's life.  Consider, our time here is short and temporary, but what we do with it determines the future eternity for our souls.

While you're pondering life, death, and what interests you feel pressured to explore, I'd propose that you make knowing and loving the Lord your first concern.  Other worldly things and relationships with others will inevitably come into your life, but your relationship with God is where you'll find permanent satisfaction. 

I understand that most people on forums aren't interested in spending time to read an article or watch a video.  Nonetheless, I offer the following video as a suggestion for you and your present frame of mind.  It's a short, applicable, interesting sermon that you may find intriguing and helpful.

I always said when you turn 40 you are old. Being 50, I now realize that I was correct. But 40 is still way better then 50. It isn't so fun doing high impact exercises any more. About the best I can do without joint pain, etc, etc, etc is speed walking. 60 is kind of scary because most will agree you are old and look at you that way. Also your health starts to go down hill if it hasn't already.

Latest posts

Back