What are you working on?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assimilate

Hungry Man instant dinner enthusiast.
Reaction score
Or planning to work on....

My computer desk is a cheap particle board piece of junk and it's falling apart. I haven't been able to find one that I like within my budget so I decided to build my own. I know where I can get lots of decent scrap wood for free which is perfect for this project. Today or tomorrow I'll probably get started on some CAD drawings to find a design I want to go with and then pick up materials this weekend. I have a super compact PC (think Mac Mini size but it's a Dell) so I want to build some kind of mount for it on the underside of my new desk to keep all the cables and stuff off my main work space. 

The fun part is making space to do this and then finding sawdust in my coffee for the next three weeks  :club:

Getting organized. My computer, workspace, and my mind are a mess. I feel like getting cleaned up will help clear things up so I can focus all of my energy on moving ahead.

I write stories (for myself). Or at least I attempt to. Most of the time I'm sat staring at the screen and then I go off and play solitaire...

I\ said:
I write stories (for myself). Or at least I attempt to. Most of the time I'm sat staring at the screen and then I go off and play solitaire...

I find you have to be in the right mood and then it just flows - good luck!

Edward W said:
I\ said:

I find you have to be in the right mood and then it just flows - good luck!

Very true! I write for a living. Some days, it's a struggle. Other days, as you say, it flows. 

Keep at it. Even a few sentences is better than nothing. I find popping on a pair of headphones and listening to my favourite music helps immensely with focus. (Electronica/trance works for me or Classic/New Wave rock - whatever floats your boat!). Like today. . . I've been working since about 10 a.m. and I've written roughly half a page - it's now almost 2 p.m. Sad output for almost four hours of 'work', eh? The lure of the internet beckons. . . 

Note to self: FOLLOW YOUR OWN ADVICE - GET TO WORK.   :club:

TheSkaFish said:
Getting organized.  My computer, workspace, and my mind are a mess.  I feel like getting cleaned up will help clear things up so I can focus all of my energy on moving ahead.

Good things take work. I just did a deep clean of my apartment yesterday and I'm glad I did. Highly recommend it.

Working on my collections~ :) Like music, images and merchandise.
(Haha, it's fun reviving some older threads!)

Editing in a series. Past deadline. Getting a free and wild feeling too early.
Escaping here and there in forums and fun. Not avoiding getting the job done, oh no, just taking breaks. :ninja:

Trying to work on me, and whether this current status quo is a phase or the future. However, I seem to have become solicitor and secretary to various family issues, my own included. Some days can be intense paper chased of several hours, even days at a time. Certain issues intertwine.

the trouble is, the distraction is often welcomed, it takes me away from me. However, I do realise that I need some work doing on me.

Last edited:
Getting to deepest darkest Cornwell for a cup of tea with a yogini, cups of tea ... that's always how they suck you in innit. 🍵

1. Learning 3 CAD software
2. Studying about finance and accounting
3. Learning piano
4. Making some digital artworks.
5. Preparing for an engineering test
6. On a particular meditation streak
7. Helping a senior with documentation for funding on their new company.
8. Discussing a few ideas to work on for business/research.

I’m an AFOL (nah, that’s nothing dirty! It stands for Adult Fan of Lego. Not that I’m opposed to anything dirty though. . .)

This is my latest build, one more step to go. I own most of the Harry Potter Lego sets, along with select other sets I enjoy like modulars and particular themes. My favourite is probably Big Ben - I installed a light set inside the building, looks very sharp!

Attachments

• CBB39A7F-13FC-4ECB-865E-05F20E1A1536.jpeg
    CBB39A7F-13FC-4ECB-865E-05F20E1A1536.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 3DAD8BE2-54B6-4C1F-977A-455424414DDB.jpeg
    3DAD8BE2-54B6-4C1F-977A-455424414DDB.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 4
  • E053889D-07B6-47DB-89CA-0ACA23962702.jpeg
    E053889D-07B6-47DB-89CA-0ACA23962702.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4
I’m an AFOL (nah, that’s nothing dirty! It stands for Adult Fan of Lego. Not that I’m opposed to anything dirty though. . .)

This is my latest build, one more step to go. I own most of the Harry Potter Lego sets, along with select other sets I enjoy like modulars and particular themes. My favourite is probably Big Ben - I installed a light set inside the building, looks very sharp!

That's super cool, Ringwood. And it reminds me, once again, that I wish I'd never felt that I couldn't stay into things like that as an adult.

I like the franchise sets - Star Wars of course being my jam - but I do wish they'd kept up their own themes, like LEGO Space, Pirates, Castle, City, and the rest. Sometimes you want to take a break from franchises, and it was neat that LEGO came up with original vehicles and characters that weren't already part of some pre-existing thing, but were something on their own.

You must have been the LEGO Maniac this whole time!

Trying to work on me, and whether this current status quo is a phase of the future. However, I seem to have become solicitor and secretary to various family issues, my own included. Some days can be intense paper chased of several hours, even days at a time. Certain issues intertwine.

the trouble is, the distraction is often welcomed, it takes me away from me. However, I do realise that I need some work doing on me.

same here. getting ready for multiple cases.

That's super cool, Ringwood. And it reminds me, once again, that I wish I'd never felt that I couldn't stay into things like that as an adult.

I like the franchise sets - Star Wars of course being my jam - but I do wish they'd kept up their own themes, like LEGO Space, Pirates, Castle, City, and the rest. Sometimes you want to take a break from franchises, and it was neat that LEGO came up with original vehicles and characters that weren't already part of some pre-existing thing, but were something on their own.

You must have been the LEGO Maniac this whole time!
I'm a firm believer that you're never too old to play, whatever your idea of 'play' may be.

My son was heavily into the Star Wars sets when he was younger, but now as a too-cool almost 13-year old, Lego isn't his thing anymore. Lucky for me as it's now all mine. ;) I agree that the franchises can be a little overdone at times. Lego is still coming out with some amazing new themes, especially in the City realm - more diverse and inclusive minifigs, new animals (the squirrels this year are SO cute), etc. And thanks to programs like the BrickLink Designer program (a crowdfunded initiative that gives sets that failed to make production via Lego Ideas another chance), there's some really neat sets being produced. I was incredibly lucky to score this set - should arrive sometime in February. https://www.bricklink.com/v3/design...dult-fans-of-lego/215665/Castle-in-the-Forest

I love the old-school medieval/castle stuff! This set will go well with my medieval blacksmith set.

I'm a firm believer that you're never too old to play, whatever your idea of 'play' may be.

My son was heavily into the Star Wars sets when he was younger, but now as a too-cool almost 13-year old, Lego isn't his thing anymore. Lucky for me as it's now all mine. ;) I agree that the franchises can be a little overdone at times. Lego is still coming out with some amazing new themes, especially in the City realm - more diverse and inclusive minifigs, new animals (the squirrels this year are SO cute), etc. And thanks to programs like the BrickLink Designer program (a crowdfunded initiative that gives sets that failed to make production via Lego Ideas another chance), there's some really neat sets being produced. I was incredibly lucky to score this set - should arrive sometime in February. https://www.bricklink.com/v3/design...dult-fans-of-lego/215665/Castle-in-the-Forest

I love the old-school medieval/castle stuff! This set will go well with my medieval blacksmith set.

I believe that now, too - that you're never too old to play. If I didn't have the pressure of life getting me down and other things, I might go down to the carpet right now and make a story and everything.

It wasn't so much that I thought I was "too cool". I never really believed that, always thought that was fake. At 13 I still played with action figures and stuff like that. I had younger brothers and that kept me younger longer, which I wish I had appreciated more and I wish I could go back to those days now. It was more like when I got into my late teens, and people around me were more into typical teen interests like media, subcultures, relationships, booze and weed, etc., and I thought, "well, I'm old now, I guess I can't do the kid interests anymore, I'm not supposed to, I have to 'act my age'". It was a reluctant letting-go, but a letting-go nevertheless out of thinking that there was nothing I could do. And it was a while before I realized I didn't have to let go of my interests for anyone.

But anyway. I just think there's room for all themes you know? Like you can have the Star Wars theme, but it doesn't mean you have to push out the regular LEGO Space. I loved the "Life on Mars" theme by the way - thought the Martians were really cute and friendly-looking. One of my favorite developments of LEGO over the years is how they have non-human characters now, like aliens, fantasy creatures, robots, etc. because for the longest time, LEGO people were humans only. And sure, you have to have the bad guys to have a story, but I like that not all the creatures/aliens/etc are "bad".

I'll have to take a look at these new City characters you're talking about though. Since you mentioned animals, I wonder if they have any dogs as well?

Bricklink Designer sounds neat too. I always wonder what ideas never made it to production, of all the toylines I like - and I have plenty of ideas of my own for things they should have made.

Last edited:
I'll have to take a look at these new City characters you're talking about though. Since you mentioned animals, I wonder if they have any dogs as well?
Lots of dogs! Here's a photo of some of my minifig collection and a few close-ups of figures with dogs (and other critters).

Attachments

• Legodisplay.JPG
    Legodisplay.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Legodisplay1.JPG
    Legodisplay1.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Legodisplay2.JPG
    Legodisplay2.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 3
  • Legodisplay3.JPG
    Legodisplay3.JPG