PWD benefits in BC for mental illness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xephier102

Reaction score
Hello, I'm just here to ask, well, the thread title, lol..
I just found out that I was approved for PWD (persons with disabilities) due to mental illness, and I am just wondering if anyone would know (either professionally, or from experience) if that qualifies me for the monthly income benefits. I had thought the PWD and the benefits, were one and the same, but apparently I have to apply for the benefits now. I would just phone the number to get more information, but the gov stuff tends to shut down by 4-4:30pm, and I am anxious to have this question answered.

ringwood said:
Are you on Income Assistance right now? I believe if you're approved for Disability Benefits, you get a top-up of your Income Assistance in addition to what you get now. Don't quote me on that - I know that's how it works for my stepfather, but he's also a senior (and a different type of disability).

This link may help: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...isability-assistance/on-disability-assistance

Yea, I imagine it's more straight forward in his case. That's the diff with mental illness compared to like, a broken leg. Ya don't gotta go outta your way to convince people that you got a broken leg.

The entire thing is a bit confusing..
Seems they're (the gov) so desperate to have more people working (and paying taxes), that they can't even keep their logic straight..
Like "disability benefits are for people that are unable to work"
Yet look somewhere else and find "if you are collecting disability benefits, you can still work and collect up to a certain amount before deductions".

So by that logic (or lack thereof), they're basically saying, even people that are unable to work, are able to work.

update for anyone wondering. Looks like I will be receiving the updated monthly payment amount starting next month. Since I was already on welfare, it's an automatic payment. No fuss no muss, once accepted for PWD, you're in.

xephier102 said:
update for anyone wondering. Looks like I will be receiving the updated monthly payment amount starting next month. Since I was already on welfare, it's an automatic payment. No fuss no muss, once accepted for PWD, you're in.

That's good. Glad your disability application got accepted - I know it's difficult to get a claim of mental illness accepted.

It's great to hear it worked for you. It really is difficult to get it accepted.

ringwood said:
xephier102 said:

That's good. Glad your disability application got accepted - I know it's difficult to get a claim of mental illness accepted.

Ya. I was extremely surprised myself tbh.. Especially with Corona going on.. I thought for sure that thing wouldn't even get processed the first time in under a year.. Since when I lookeed it up, I saw someone said it takes about 5 months, and with corona, gov resources are focused on that.

Latest posts

Back