Why live on? (Existential rant)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
First off, I just want to say that I am not depressed. At least right now. I've been kinda feeling better emotionally lately, come to think of it. 

I was just thinking how so many lives have come and gone throughout millions of years and then here comes me or you, one person among countless of others that have come and gone and still more are coming. And when we come into this world we are faced with all sorts of questions about God, life, reality, and when we die what? Do we at least get the answers? If not then that would really suck. Like, how do we know what's real? How do we know we are not living in some kind of simulation? How do we know if others are aware or have consciousness? How do you know I'm real? I know I'm real but I can't prove it to you. I could very well be a product of your imagination. Have you heard of solipsism? It's a lonely concept where the self is all that there is known to exist. Imagine if you were the Creator of the Universe and you wanted to roleplay and one day you say "Ah! I think I'll play as Bob on planet earth and I'll wander around, erase my memory as Creator of the Universe, and just have an adventure living as a seemingly normal person on the face of the planet. And then I'll die and wake up in my God-chair ready to do whatever the heck I want! 

That kinda got out of hand.

I guess what I was originally trying to say was

Why should I worry about life?

Life will always be here no matter what. It's been around for billions of years. So why do I worry about being being the best or having the most money or getting the best job when one day I won't be here anymore, all my memories will fade away and eventually no one will remember me billions of years from now. 

So i guess I'll answer my question in the beginning. 

Why not?

Thanks for reading guys!

Hi Azariah,

These kinds of thoughts go around our heads, but in the end it's no use. What we have is our life now and that's the one certainty worth concentrating on, all other thoughts of afterlife, underlying meaning etc are largely unresolveable and lead us round in circles.

What it does show is an enquiring mind and a sense of sensitivity, which are both very good things and so often in short supply in humanity. Thoughts like these are the sign of someone with conscience and intelligence, so although I would say the thoughts themselves are somewhat pointless they say good things about you personally.

I'm glad you've been feeling better lately, that's the way to keep going! :)

I agree with Yeti1980. Overthinking thing at the expense of enjoying life with a good level of assurance is counterproductive. Many of the things you mentioned are fruits of philosophical thinking that, in my humble opinion, overthinks reality as a mere concept of the mind. Here is a great website which might help answer your questions https://inspiringphilosophy.org/.

Latest posts

Back