Who else has no contacts?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have anybody else that you can contact?

• Total voters
Reaction score
A thought just came to my mind that made me curious. I rarely speak to anybody else. It usually only occurs while being harassed out in public getting supplies. I do not work. I have zero contacts in my phone. I don't have any social media accounts of any kind. I have set my phone to not answer or make any noise for all phone calls and texts. I do not check my voice mails. The only reason I have a phone is because it's the cheapest form of Internet service I can get. I tether it to my laptop and it works fairly well. It's been like this for many years.

Currently this site is my only mode of communication and I'm comfortable with that. It feels normal to me. I'm a hermit. I'm not looking for suggestions on how to communicate with others. But, I am curious who else neither speaks, texts, or communicates with others other then some forum use. Thanks.

I have a lot of contacts on my phone, but I rarely contact anybody. If I need to contact anyone it's only because I must (business or family issues). I'm simply not the guy that initiates the first contact. Even if aliens would visit us one day I would probably just ignore them until they would say something to me :D

I am not as isolated as you, as before covid and home office I had to go amongst people daily but I didn't interact with them on a personal level.
Was it difficult to adapt to that lifestyle?

Myra said:
Was it difficult to adapt to that lifestyle?

Well, at first it was very difficult. I'm 100% on my own. If something bad happens that's just too bad. There's nobody to fall back on. No friends and no family members to help with the down times. But, not having to deal with other people's problems and family issues made it easier. Plus the few times I needed help my "friends" seemed to disappear or not be available. I never missed work and/or working with other people. I'm naturally a fixer and was relied upon a lot to help others. I do somewhat miss the good feelings from helping others. But again, not as much as avoiding all the BS associated with it. Over the course of about a year I really began to like the hermit lifestyle. Now, after a decade it's natural. I took care of the few bad things that happened. It seemed easier because I knew I was alone. I wasn't thinking about how others could help me. I just focused on handling the problems.

IMO, socialization is kind of like an addiction. If you keep sampling something you like you'll want more of it even though you get sick from it sometimes. If you stop sampling altogether you pretty much forget it exists and the addiction stops.

i am. no more than my mom and siblings i live with them but I want to leave sooner or later because feels like I'm ruining their lives
because its going to nowhere

I have my father and one really good friend who's in a similar life situation to myself and that's essentially the entire sum of my "real life" contacts. That's one of the reasons I joined this website, to make friends and try to build up some kind of social network. Even if it's purely online, it's still better than nothing.

Other than my immediate family, I have no one else I can contact. I used to have this woman I met online. We got real close until our friendship became something else. Something that was doomed from the start and had to end. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't beautiful though. Shame.

Latest posts

Back