Nutrition

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

priscella

I just wonder how much of a impact nutrition makes on "our depressions". I am trying to zero in on the "fodmaps" information---just starting the research here. Tomorrow I will have for breakfast--a egg omelet with mushrooms and some kale cooked with olive oil and for lunch maybe some grilled salmon and some raspberries topped with greek yogurt and chopped pecans. I will drink Ice tea and water...Sounds exciting doesn't it?  Read it from the net and I do not care what they say about coffee I will have my coffee ------black and the Folgers instant kind...I will let you know if I get "undepressed"... If you have any nutrition ideas please write a line to us on what to eat..thanks priscella..

Hmmm. Well, I eat quite healthy. I mostly only eat what I make from single ingredients. I rarely eat beef, pork, sugar or gluten. I only use extra virgin olive oil and low heat for cooking. Breakfast is usually made with nut flower, along with walnuts, an egg, cinnamon, and a half of a banana. I then finish it up with some cottage cheese. For lunch I mostly eat vegetables with some skinless chicken breast and gluten free brown rice / corn noodles. I use lots of jalapenos, garlic, onions, and pepper for seasonings. I skip dinner but have a snack which includes slightly soaked raw steel cut oatmeal with some cinnamon. I eat plain dry Cheerios or sauerkraut straight from the can as if they are deserts. It's surprising how your taste buds will adjust once you stop eating sugary crap. I really like my food now. I use zero sugar in any of the flavorings. I only drink water ever, which means no pop, coffee, alcohol, etc, etc, etc. I stay clear of caffeine too.

I also make sure I regularly exercise. I probably should be depressed but I don't seem to be. Sometimes I fell pretty **** good and think to myself, why do I feel good. Life sucks! Ha! ha! Maybe you can be depressed and feel good at the same time as TheRealCallie pointed out. Either way, it's better to feel good.

About a decade I gave up on working and the rat race. I basically quit the normal life. That meant severely tightening up my budget, which meant zero health care until 67. So, I decided at that point to do what I could to be healthy as far as eating and exercise goes. Mentally, according to all that I have read, I'm rotting my brain. I never socialize with anybody. Sometimes I miss it. I miss having a companion. But, mostly I have gotten used to it and prefer to be a hermit now. People just aren't worth all the trouble and drama they cause.

So, it's kind of a long term experiment to see if my mind will rot even though I'm physically healthy. I'll find out at some point. Maybe I'll just hit Alzheimers at an earlier age, which won't matter because I don't have any friends or family to forget. Ha! Ha!

In conclusion, I believe that regular exercise and eating healthy does keep depression away. My self talk and views on life are usually negative, due to experiences, but it doesn't seem to cause me to be depressed. Or, maybe I am depressed but I'm in denial? Is that possible? ****. Maybe I am depressed. Ha! Ha! I should get on the government gravy train and get social security disability. But, it'll be hard when I'm asked how I feel and I say great while I'm thinking about stabbing the guy in the neck and running out of the office to the safety of my home all along with a smile on my face. Ha! Ha! Denied!

You are funny and I say in true denial. Its better that way for you and easier.. I have been to Arizona twice and the people have a different take on life--some people at least and you fall in that category. Its funny how that airport in Phoenix never seems to change--people come in and its gets real busy ---then people leave and its like a ghost town that is depressing--have they updated it yet or is it still the same?..I imagine now its slow because of the virus.. You seem to know a lot about nutrition which is good but the knowledge is not perfect here but better than most and I am new at this so I have no knowledge at all besides reading on the net..The sun there gets real hot in the summer but in the fall if you swim you dry off in the kindest and gentle heat that I have experience and you dry in about 10 minutes with a real nice feeling and I just love swimming thinking it is real good exercise so I took advantage and went swimming outside in the hotel as I attended a memorial service for a good friend...Thanks for the nice posting..priscella. If you do not live in Arizona--forgive my mistake for it is on your record here..

It can help for sure. Processed foods and sugars make our brain happy for a little bit, then we crash. Then we eat more. Then our bodies are crap and we feel worse because we did this to ourselves. Changing my diet from less processed to more whole foods, which made me feel better physically, which then helped me mentally. I think exercising does more for depression IMHO.

Nicolelt said:
It can help for sure. Processed foods and sugars make our brain happy for a little bit, then we crash. Then we eat more. Then our bodies are crap and we feel worse because we did this to ourselves. Changing my diet from less processed to more whole foods, which made me feel better physically, which then helped me mentally. I think exercising does more for depression IMHO.

I think you have something there because the fob are concerned with all kinds of sugars mostly in processed foods. Also I see there are certain foods that affect the thyroid gland (low thyroid) and many other ailments as well that the wrong type of foods could hurt especially in the way of low energy and lack of wanting to do our everyday activities that in the long run would make us feel better. Thanks for the response..priscella

I've started buying those pre-made salads you can get from supermarkets. Salad is something I've never really made myself, the most being adding cucumber, baby spinach, sprouts and beetroot to salad wraps/sandwiches. I plan on trying out a few different ones and figuring out how to make my own in a way that I'd enjoy. Whenever I make stews I like to add in as many vegetables as I can, even started adding mushrooms and cabbage into my taco mince when I make that.
I'm not much of a fruit eater though, so that's probably something I need to focus more on. I just don't really seem to like citrus fruits which tend to be the most common in my area.

Gosh Michael I eat the same way you do and the only difference is I am maturing into making my own salad with the added ingredients. I am not a big citrus eater either and I am trying to improve. Right now I have stopped my oranges and juice because I seem to do worse in health when I drink it---maybe my imagination here but I in time will see--lol  I am trying to take more vitamin D and get some sunshine for the web says this is important. I use the web for research when I have health problems and at my age I imagine many---lol. I do not know what a board is that you mentioned but video games I am aware of and books tire me out but I do read assorted ones mostly on knowledge based things..Your a interesting person with a level sense in my judgement and I am glad you are on this forum. I do not know how long I will last here because of my personality but it is fun for me now...Thanks   priscella...

Our nutrition is a learning experience and yes sugar is bad and it is very hard to control because most people crave it so much as well as it being in many of our foods. I need to get a hold of my diet not for pure health reasons but to make myself more comfortable as I progress in life. When you get older but you my fellow poster are the type who will never seem to be old------------this is good and you make other people's lives more humorous but what about you??? How do you really eat? I imagine lots and lots of sweets but I tell you this will be only for a short time because your digestive systems will begin to react and Lordy Lordy its difficult to solve some of the problems that a wrong diet has created over the years. So our searching for better nutrition. Your posting was right sugar bad and veg at this time good for our systems need the fiber...Thanks for the posting forum friend...What did you eat today? I ate one soft boiled egg and a cup of oatmeal with my morning coffee that I love..Thanks for the posting forum friend ....  priscella

priscella said:
What did you eat today? I ate one soft boiled egg and a cup of oatmeal with my morning coffee that I love..Thanks for the posting forum friend ....  priscella

Ha! ha! I ate what I typically eat. For breakfast I made pancakes from nut flour, oatmeal, and half a banana with zero toppings. For lunch, skinless chicken breast with a corn meal and egg coating. I ate that with vegetable noodles and lemon juice. And then I had oatmeal for a final snack late afternoon with some sauerkraut. That's it for today. I enjoyed it all too. Now I will not eat again until about 7am tomorrow morning. It's good to go about 14 - 16 hours without eating anything every day. Late suppers and mid-night snacks are a no no. Tomorrow I will have some kind of chicken with cooked cabbage. I'm already looking forward to it. I eat a LOT of cabbage. I've grown very found of it.

Sounds wonderful to me and you must have a real good digestive system but when you increase in age you will have a smaller appetite. At least that is how I  am at this stage in my life--my appetite is way down. So I had for lunch a cup of spinach and some salmon trim pieces mixed in with lemon juice.. That's all I will eat today until morning but I will have a cup of green tea and plain water by my bedside for my mouth gets dry at night...Ready for tomorrow.. priscella

Wow! I would die if that's all I ate. I guess you really do need to focus on eating healthy stuff because you eat so little. Spinach, salmon, and lemon juice sounds great to me. I usually get Salmon in a can as it's much less expensive and I find it more intense in flavor. I'm glad they can it fresh without salt or preservatives. For a few years I was really into canning meat and vegetables using jars. But, I just sort of stopped doing it. Have you done any canning?

priscella said:
Sounds wonderful to me and you must have a real good digestive system but when you increase in age you will have a smaller appetite. At least that is how I  am at this stage in my life--my appetite is way down. So I had for lunch a cup of spinach and some salmon trim pieces mixed in with lemon juice.. That's all I will eat today until morning but I will have a cup of green tea and plain water by my bedside for my mouth gets dry at night...Ready for tomorrow.. priscella

The food itself if healthy, but the amount is not.

TheRealCallie said:
priscella said:

The food itself if healthy, but the amount is not.
I sure do agree with you on that but I am eating in such small amounts now to feel okay...Today I had a omelet with green pepper and tomato and celery with sprinkles of ham in it. I cooked it in a wok type of container and then added the 2 eggs and swirled it around in olive oil and water and kind of steamed it until all the water went away.. Ate it with a cut up apple and had my Folgers coffee black...I cannot eat onion or garlic for these seasonings upset my system and give me acid---Oh Lordy--old age is not fun...Thanks for the reply ....priscella..

I'm nowhere near your age and I have issues with acid and ulcers, so I understand all that. I drink cabbage juice to help that.
Also, if you want healthy, you should only be using the egg whites, not the yolk.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-egg-yolks-bad

I found this on the net that is real interesting to read about our subject. Right now I am looking for some kind of nut flour that has no gluten because Finisher breading on the chicken sounded real good to me. People laugh at no gluten but it has really made a different on how my tract is working--maybe just me but it seems to help.. I hate the bread and I have bought the Rudi one multigrain and I have to toast it to make it okay to eat and I miss real bread but this no gluten seems really to help. I also have real low thyroid that I take a pill for and that is one reason that I have to watch my cholesterol because it is real high because of my sleepy thyroid. Thanks you two for the encouragement and since on this strict food intake I have been feeling better. Tonight I had some salmon trim and cut up beets and some almonds with green ice tea..Tomorrow will be another day and I will have gluten free waffles with real maple syrup ( a little) and of course my coffee. So I am set to go--in more way then one..lol Thanks for the posting...prescella..

Latest posts

Back